Thread: The Sunday Thread For DST (March 13,2022)

The Sunday Thread For DST (March 13,2022)

Not everyone sets their clocks according to some government whim, but I live in an area that does, so we lost an hour last night. I don't think I'll have a physical reaction, but there are people who actually have their internal clocks upset and need to reset. A good night's sleep usually takes care of that.

I was listening to my weekly
    Hearts of Space broadcast and the announcer referred to the month of March as "schizophrenic." I think that's a pretty good description. Last week, it was short-sleeve sunny weather. Yesterday, we got nearly 3 inches of snow, and the current outside temperature is 19° (-7.2°C). Yow. I didn't go out yesterday and clear off the car, so if I intend to go to church this morning, I'll need to do so soon.

My plan yesterday was to go pick up my Taylor GS Mini, but the snow kept me from doing that. So I'll have to sneak some time in this week. I'm a little frustrated, as I was told they found nothing wrong with the electronics! Grrr. So, a 70 mile round trip for which I may need to get a new mortgage to pay for the gas for a repair that wasn't performed. Ugh.

Since the weather isn't inviting, I'll probably spend most of the day inside again, reading, playing guitar, cooking and staying warm. You?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread For DST (March 13,2022)

Good morning everybody! We got snow yesterday, too. I had to present for a graduate level certification course for superintendent candidates about 100 miles away. It rained on the way down - not an issue, but it was ice, sleet and snow on the way back. Lots of spinouts and rollovers on the way back, but I took my time, left things in 4WD and had no problems.

We went out to dinner last night to celebrate my grandson's 16th birthday. He brought a few of his friends with him. They are all nerds - that was actually refreshing. They go to a really good school and they are all brilliant kids and I enjoyed just sitting, listening to them talking about science, technology and such. It was like an episode of Big Bang Theory. I got him a small electronic keyboard as he wants to learn piano/organ, and he also mentioned he wants to learn guitar, too, so he made my day.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Did church. Although we got a hint of spring last week, it snowed Friday evening. Nothing much, but still some around. Still a chill as we’ll make to only 40 today with a NW wind of 15.
    Today is more rebuilding of the closet. Hoping to get it to 3/4 done today.
    An audition last Thursday got postponed as the leaders wife went into labor a couple weeks early.

Trying to stay busy as I have GAS. While we are looking to build a house and the music room will be upstairs, we were considering a dumb waiter to get gear up/down. Getting a full duplicate rig will be cheaper, so I have the green light. Now the Q is, do I upgrade my current rig at the same time. That’s coupled with the fact I found a nice piece of Koa and Pao Ferro for a build I have had planned for 8 years.
    Mark

I almost started the sunday thread 7 minutes after midnight before the daylights savings shift. I am so chuffed that it's finally here. Figures that the weather was such a bear last night, 45 mph winds and pelting sleet. I attempted to get to the bus stop and didn't even reach the end of my driveway. "Eff this" I howled into the wind, only to have it shoved back down my throat.

Today is bright and blustery. And the sun sets at 6:50 woo hoo. worth losing an hour's sleep. Now I stand a chance to drive when I go out for dinner. Sure hope they aren't waiting until August to re-stripe the roads around here. I'm pretty sure they did not refresh the yellow lines at all last year and they are in terrible shape. You can barely see them in broad daylight, forget about rain.

Playing guitar again. Had a nasty cramp a week ago in my left hand after an inspired session. Turns out it is related to my leaning on my left elbow while surfing on the computer, mostly to push my glasses up so I can read without bending over, stupid bifocals. I transferred my left lens to an older identical frame because the current frame kept popping open. The screw finally became completely stripped. The older frame is setup/bent differently. I really need to get new glasses. That or spend a lot less time on the computer. Heavens forfend.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I almost forgot to post here today as it has been kind of hectic these days.

I’m learning an evening of material to play at a fund razing benefit the last weekend of April and the first weekend of May and I think I’m familiar with about 10% of the material I have to learn. The one that is giving me a huge pain in the butt is the old Eddie Fisher tune “Ya Gotta Have Heart” with all of the chord changes in it. Once I get past this gig I have to rehearse with some friends to put together a one hour performance at a blues festival in July and I offered to help out a friend to play a 4th of July gig with his band so it’s a lot of practice time to play single gigs.

On a high note…on Tuesday I was happy to drive home my new Corvette and it is one hell of a beautiful, complicated car! Unfortunately it has been snowing so my new baby will have to rest in the garage for a couple of weeks because it has “summer only” tires on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I almost forgot to post here today as it has been kind of hectic these days.

I’m learning an evening of material to play at a fund razing benefit the last weekend of April and the first weekend of May and I think I’m familiar with about 10% of the material I have to learn. The one that is giving me a huge pain in the butt is the old Eddie Fisher tune “Ya Gotta Have Heart” with all of the chord changes in it. Once I get past this gig I have to rehearse with some friends to put together a one hour performance at a blues festival in July and I offered to help out a friend to play a 4th of July gig with his band so it’s a lot of practice time to play single gigs.

On a high note…on Tuesday I was happy to drive home my new Corvette and it is one hell of a beautiful, complicated car! Unfortunately it has been snowing so my new baby will have to rest in the garage for a couple of weeks because it has “summer only” tires on it.

Wow! That's a beautiful car!

I have summer only "Extreme Performance" tires on my Miata, and not only are they not snow capable, they are not supposed to be used, installed, or even have a load applied to them at temperatures near freezing! You're supposed to let them warm up to the acceptable temperature (I can't remember what that is) before installing or using them!

I've spent part of the weekend working on a late '80s Laney AOR Pro Tube 100 head. It's a beast and an odd combination of a rugged build and a poor build! The issue is that the amp would cut out and a Fonzie style whack on the top would bring it back. It turned out that it was a bad solder joint on a lead from the PCB to a potentiometer. On closer inspection, all of the solder joints from the PCB to the pots, tube sockets, and jacks looked like Hershey's Kisses! They definitely did not put their best solderer on the job! I removed the solder and re-soldered them all! 54 joints, plus the several connections required to lift the PCB out far enough to access it. It took about 3 hours (considering what a PITA it was to lift the PCB up, I wasn't going to risk leaving any bad joints behind) and sounds great! No Fonzie touch required.

funny you should mention Laney, Don. I've gotten a Toni Iommi bug and am exploring options to try to get an early Sabbath sound. I already have a cab, I just need a head with EL34 or 6L6 power tubes and a treble boost pedal. There'a Laney LA30BL head that sounds interesting. I'd probably need an attenuator.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Wow! That's a beautiful car!

I have summer only "Extreme Performance" tires on my Miata, and not only are they not snow capable, they are not supposed to be used, installed, or even have a load applied to them at temperatures near freezing! You're supposed to let them warm up to the acceptable temperature (I can't remember what that is) before installing or using them!

I've spent part of the weekend working on a late '80s Laney AOR Pro Tube 100 head. It's a beast and an odd combination of a rugged build and a poor build! The issue is that the amp would cut out and a Fonzie style whack on the top would bring it back. It turned out that it was a bad solder joint on a lead from the PCB to a potentiometer. On closer inspection, all of the solder joints from the PCB to the pots, tube sockets, and jacks looked like Hershey's Kisses! They definitely did not put their best solderer on the job! I removed the solder and re-soldered them all! 54 joints, plus the several connections required to lift the PCB out far enough to access it. It took about 3 hours (considering what a PITA it was to lift the PCB up, I wasn't going to risk leaving any bad joints behind) and sounds great! No Fonzie touch required.
    My summer tires are supposed to stay off the road until it is at least 40 degrees. I put all season tires on it for the Winter - I still don't drive it in bad weather, but today it's going for a ride. Different set of wheels so I can just pop them off and on.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Looking over the available colors for the new C08 I think you made an outstanding choice. My personal #1 would be Elkhart Lake Blue but the red is very becoming for such a car.

Now drive it like you stole it!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Looking over the available colors for the new C08 I think you made an outstanding choice. My personal #1 would be Elkhart Lake Blue but the red is very becoming for such a car.

Metallic red seems to be a theme with our vehicles. The Corvettes over the years have been: ‘01 - Magnetic Red II, ‘08 - Crystal Red Metallic, ‘13 - Crystal Red Metallic, and now the ‘22 is Mist Red Metallic. Oh yeah, the Harley Street Glide is Wicked Red (metallic), and my regular car is Crystal Red.

My first car was a red 1961 Mini Cooper. After that, I never owned another red car until I bought this one last May.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Howdy, friends! Sorry I'm late.

Stress at work was getting just too heavy, and I decided to take a break with my wife. We decided to spend the weekend at a beach. I took the acoustic in order to keep seeking inspiration for new original songs, and I thought I might catch up with surfing, something I used to admire and try to do from time to time. I never really was a surfer, never got past the 'kook' stage, but I love it.

I rented a board and paid for some lessons, since I hadn't been anywhere near a surfboard in about 10 years... But like I said, I love surfing and it's quite a nice inspiration source for writing my songs. As a Brazilian Northeasterner, I love the ocean.

The waves were quite mild, so I took my chances.

Anyway, here are some images of the beach...

Yours truly, after a few (hundred) wipeouts:

Afterwards, there was some of this to nurse my self esteem and my sore knees

Other than that, it was all about Thai food and rest with my Kindle and my guitar. It was worth it.

Last edited by S. Cane; 03-14-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Excellent Sergio! I hope you and your sweetie had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I rented a board and paid for some classes, since I hadn't been anywhere near a surfboard in about 10 years, but like I said, I love surfing and it's quite a nice inspiration source for writing my songs. As a Brazilian Northwesterner, I love the ocean.

Next time bring along some Jan & Dean and Beach Boys CD's.

You'll be hangin' ten in no time!

Next time bring along some Jan & Dean and Beach Boys CD's.

You'll be hangin' ten in no time!

I love Jan and Dean and the Beach Boys! Always have! Especially the Beach Boys.

Excellent Sergio! I hope you and your sweetie had a great time!
    Thanks, brother! Btw how are you and Barb doing? Love you both!

Thanks, brother! Btw how are you and Barb doing? Love you both!
    Hey, thanks for asking. We just keep bouncing along and enjoying each other, looking forward to every new day.

Hey, thanks for asking. We just keep bouncing along and enjoying each other, looking forward to every new day.
    We had a great time. Just us, my stepdaughter and her boyfriend. A real 4 day relaxing time out.

We had a great time. Just us, my stepdaughter and her boyfriend. A real 4 day relaxing time out.
    It doesn't get much better than that!

That is truly one beastly looking supercar! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    That is truly one beastly looking supercar! I love it!
    Few vehicles rate such a moniker but that car is definitely deserving of it.