Thread: Squier Bass experience, anyone?

Squier Bass experience, anyone?

I have a Squier P-Bass coming to me on UPS. I think it's the "Affinity" series, which I tend to like for their feel.

Hardware is modest, though, and before I put new strings on it I ought to ask: Are the tuning keys on these things adequate, or should I go ahead and put new keys on it right off the bat?

And since we're talking, Wilkinson keys seem to be going for a few bucks more than generic cheapies. Are they actually an upgrade or is it the same thing but with a name on it? Do you know of any other keys that are good for an appropriate price?

Thanks

E

Re: Squier Bass experience, anyone?

this thread is pertinent to my interests, too. I've been watching many dozens of ebay auctions for about a month now. not seeing any cheap scores on there at all

so now I'm thinking the affinity series as well. I just don't know enough about bass hardware to realize what I'm missing with the low end (no pun intended). I'm well versed enough in guitar stuff that I'm willing to pay for the good pieces. Right now, though, my money is tighter than a gnat's ass. Even the well made classic vibe series is too expensive for me, and they are a great bargain.

For now, I just need a bass, and I'll upgrade it piecemeal. If I could do it one tuner at a time, I would.

We have had a Squire P Bass for about 6 years... the boys jam with it when friends come over, and it has been a trooper - bought it from a TFF buddy for a cool Bill and have been pleased ever since.

had a squier J bass, and a P bass deluxe they worked fine.
    - Got a MIM 'Hoppus' P bass big difference in 'thump'
    not sure if it is Pup's or what, but it works / sounds better for me.

It was dirt cheap or I would not have gotten it.
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

I had a mim p-bass, lot of fun with that thing. sold it in a big gear liquidation when I was trying to avert, unsuccessfully as it turned out, a financial meltdown. It was from the era when you could buy one brand new for under 2 bills. well under, actually, I think it was 179 dollars. they're routinely selling for over 3 all day long on ebay, especially when you factor in the shipping. I had a spread sheet that I was tracking the final prices on my desktop. Hopefully I'll be able to retrieve it but I think my hd went to the big recycling center in the sky.

actually, if it were financially feasible, I'd like to get a p-bass body with the electronics and a jazz bass neck. I've really gotten to like them a lot. And I love the sound of a p-bass.

there was a nice one last week on the bay, but it ended up going for about 4 bills, if I recall correctly. I need cheap, I mean, really cheap.

Forum Member

I have a Squire P Bass that I bought about 4 months ago from a friend. It's about 10 years old and keep in mind it's the first Precision style bass that I've ever owned. It's also the "Affintiy" series and I like it a lot.

The only things I replaced was the pots and the jack.

****** KEEP IN MIND ******: if you do replace the pots, the bass came with those mini-pots. I bought full sized pots, didn't feel like driving back to make an exchange and wound up having to route a bit off wood from the cavity so the volume pot would fit.

As far as the tuners go, they hold the bass in tune very well but they are rather slow to respond to turns. I'm currentley laid off and spending money on extra's that I really don't need is out. The tuners will do just fine for now but if I had my way I probably would replace them.

The bass sounds fine to me and it's definatley got that P bass midrange growl. Again, I can't compare it to other P basses and differant P bass pickups because this is my first one.

But I'll tell you this; I play in the band at the church I attend and run it direct to the PA. (No amps onstage. BIG place too. Seats about 900). I can really feel it coming thru the PA and the soundman tells me he has no problem dialing it in.