Thread: Neighbors call police!!!!!

Forum Member

Neighbors call police!!!!!

Hi I need help with volume because we had the police called even though we've been playin the same place since December.
    any suggestions on lowing the volume without killing the tone?
    thanks

Re: Neighbors call police!!!!!

Rent a lockout?

Having the neighbors call the police has been a 'nuisance' for fledgling rock bands since such a thing existed, I'm sure. I was lucky enough to have neighbors that let me get away with all kinds of noise at my parents house.

I don't think most people are quite so tolerant however, and you really can't blame them.

You need to make friends with the neighbor. Beer is a good peace-making offering.
    s'all goof.

Curtis gets it.

See if the neighbor can be reasoned with. Find out if, say "tuesday is bowling night" and he won't be around, or you picked practice night at the same time American Idull is on. Buy him some beer. Offer to learn a tune he likes. Band practice is a few hours....a pissed off neighbor is 24/7.

Outside of that, also check on what your rights are. If your town has a noise ordinance, it's usually applies after 10 PM or so.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

If you want to lower the volume without killing the tone, you either need a smaller amp, or an amp with an attenuator.

I think the Vox ADxxVT and ADxxVTX amps are cool because they sound good and have attenuators built in. I bought a AD30VT for a practice amp (because it had the attenuator) and now I use it as my main amp. It's a decently loud 30w amp that can keep up with an unmiced drum kit just fine. With the attenuator, I can also play it at midnight in a sleeping house, if I'm in the mood.

-Mark

I am fortunate, all my neighbors are tollerant.
    Every Thursday 8:00 - 10:00
    Local Ordinance says 11 is quiet time

Most say they can hear it if they really try
    but can't make out what it is.
    It is that low of a level
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Lower volume practice is often more effective anyway. You need to be listening closely to each other. And at higher volumes certain flaws are masked that are much more apparent when you can more clearly hear everything.

You need to thank your neighbor for making you a better band. Besides, having the police show up at your practice is a rite of passage for any band.
    s'all goof.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Just harbor all of your anger and resentment and the moment your neighbor starts up his leaf blower or chainsaw at 7 am, go over and open a can of whoop ass!!!
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    Besides, having the police show up at your practice is a rite of passage for any band.
    The summer I turned 16, one of my neighbors called the cops on me (and my band) every damned day...
    You could try giving you neighbors your number (I guess while you are offering up six packs) and asking them to give you a call, the next time you "get too loud". Also, see if you can reach some kind of compromise, certain days of the week, and or certain hours of the day when practicing would be the least objectionable. That being said, bear in mind that the kind of person that will call the police (as opposed to crossing the street, or walking a few doors down to speak to you directly) may not be open to a compromise of any kind, so you may want to start looking in the paper for a rehearsal space.

This brings back a memory of a band I played in that wrote a song called:

"We Started this band because we hated the neighbors"

and YES we played it in an apartment very loud and oddly never had the police called. It was the drummers place and he had some run ins with a neighbor apparently with his drumming. The songs was simply his way of rubbing it in the neighbors face. ...Oh those were the days

"Neighbors call police"

Excellent!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by theeodds View Post
    any suggestions on lowing the volume without killing the tone?

The Fender Princeton Reverb Amp of the 1960s, though small, light and moderately powerful, produced giant tube tone. In the ’70s and beyond, it earned a rep as the quintessential studio recording amp, and original Princeton Reverb amps are highly sought after in today’s vintage market as collectibles and as a wise choice for creating great tube tone in a small space.

Our new Princeton Recording-Amp offers all of the great tone and dynamics of the original, plus several modern studio-friendly features. Its all-tube preamp, power amp and reverb circuitry is based on the classic ’65 Princeton Reverb, and, with 15 watts and a 10” Jensen® speaker, it provides spanking vintage tone and enough output for small gigs and rehearsals. The trans-impedance power attenuator lets you crank up the amp for full output tube overdrive and set the speaker volume as low as you want (even silent for headphone use)!

Other features include two classic onboard “stomp box” effects (overdrive and compression), genuine tube-driven Fender spring reverb by Accutronics, headphone output, speaker emulated line output with level control and ground lift, speaker output jack (internal speaker may be disconnected for use with other 8-ohm enclosures, professional FX loop and four-button footswitch.

Cool amp... I wonder how it sounds...

I think somebody here has one.

Forum Member

That's a new amp? Interesting.

You could try giving you neighbors your number (I guess while you are offering up six packs) and asking them to give you a call, the next time you "get too loud".
    yeah right, like you will hear the phone...
    a

Move

learn to play better? Just kidding, please don't hurt me.

My house has central a/c, and thus our windows are shut nearly all year round. A few years ago, I was living large, and had a '67 plexi 50 watt, a couple of 4x12 cabs, and some nice high end Les Pauls. I guess my idea of loud is not quite other people's, as I was playing this in my bedroom

I thought the closed windows pretty much kept the sound in. Never had a complaint, cops never showed up. Last year or so, I was talking with my neighbors about missing my gear after selling it to stave off bankruptcy. They said, "yeah, that's too bad, it sounded pretty nice". Me: "You heard me?" Them: "Oh, yeah, we heard you alright". Me: "Even with the closed windows? Why didn't you say something, I would have stopped." Them: "Oh, no, it was ok, you sounded pretty good, compared to when you were first starting out". We've had the same neighbors since we been living here, 42 years now. I probably did put them through a lot.

I owe them a brewery, not just some bottled beer

LOL Dan, that sounds familiar!

Many years ago my drummer friend & I were jamming in my garage during the middle of the day on a Saturday. The neighbor comes over and asks us if we coud do this some other time because he has a baby sleeping.

We stop playing and then five minutes later he is out cutting his grass with his riding mower which was just a loud as us.

Damn neighbors!