Thread: The Sunday Thread For June 9, 2024

The Sunday Thread For June 9, 2024

Here we go again, another bloody Sunday! Well, that's really only a nod to the U2 fans out there. It's actually a very nice day in my neck of the woods. We've had several days of positively delightful weather, if you ignore the seven tornadoes that were spotted last Wednesday.

Today is my grandson's postponed-due-to-COVID 5th birthday party. My daughter invited me, if I could "deal with" Chuck E Cheese's. I assured her that as a (former) marathoner, I could tolerate high levels of pain, so a couple of hours there shouldn't be a problem.

Guitar related, I've once again pulled out my Taylor 12-string and am warming up some appropriate tunes for my next performance. To be honest, I've spent a delightful couple of weeks bonding with my Martin 000Jr-10E Shawn Mendes. Lovely little guitar! Some day I'll have to find out who Shawn Mendes is.

Well, time to find my ear plugs. "Dealing with" Chuck E Cheese may be even easier with a little sound blocking in place.

Have a good Sunday, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread For June 9, 2024

Good morning all! It's supposed to rain today, but that's OK... got the lawn done yesterday. The mower rebuild went perfectly. New tires on the back, new pulleys and belts all around and new blades. About $500 and I've practically got a brand new mower. The lawn looks great! Busy week planned, so lazy day on tap for today!

Had a coworker join me in the studio last week to add some harmonies. She was a total rookie and had trouble finding her voice, but Paul got her to lay down a few usable tracks. Not sure how we're going to use it yet - a bit to childlike for me...Also had a sax player come in and lay a track down on one tune (see attached). It is still in draft form. Needs some editing, but the foundation is there. -> Sunshine
    Last edited by gibsonjunkie; 06-09-2024 at 05:19 AM.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well the weather finally cleared on Friday and I took the convertible to work. Great ride.
    Yesterday I caught up on some things and spent some time with my instruments.

While I have never considered myself a "Strat" guy, I find myself owning 4 now. Played the same 3 songs on each back to back on all 4 to see where there was redundancy in tone. Well there is not much. The HSS is its own thing as well as the Hendrix. The CS 57 and my self built S type are fairly close, but with enough difference that they inspire me to play differently.

Also spent some time with the MM Stingray I got the other week. Changed out the strings to Optima Unique Golds more for appearance, but I do like their tone better as well. Have a couple bass gigs later today and it will get it stage debut.

Off to church soon, then catch some F1. May build the 3rd rolling storage rack for the garage so I can get the rest of the empty cases out of the office/music room.
    Mark

surprisingly cool stormy day so far. I went to a wedding on the doorsteps of Cape Cod yesterday, at first the weather was looking dicey but it cleared up albeit windy. The Whitecliff CC did a fantastic job for my niece's nuptials. I drove back because there was no way I was paying for summer rate hotel rooms down there. Almost 400 dollars a night. The drive was not horrible but the wind was moving my car around more than my liking but I survived. Huge difference between driving from Lebanon NH to home vs Plymouth MA to home although same distance.

Not sure when brother is coming back, feel like going to the basement and playing for a while. I need to start rearranging things down there. It might be getting time to say F it and just move the bookcases, workbench, hope chest, couch, coffee table down there. I don't know when I'm going to get to build my room and I don't want to wait any longer to use it. I've got an eye out for some moving blankets/acoustic blankets to hang on the walls. I may even make a 'booth' of hanging blankets that I can use a space heater in for the next winter.

lucky me gets a colonoscopy this week yay. I need to dig out the instructions, there are foods they say to avoid for a few days before.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

1My wife and I hit one of our favorite dinner clubs last night and I wolfed down a really great prime rib. What a great meal it was with a pair of Beafeaters before dinner and a nice cabernet to wash things down. We wanted to take the Vette last night but yesterday was a morning of constant rain that didn?t stop until around four in the afternoon and, me being the lazy bum that I am, didn?t want to have to wash the car before breakfast today. I got a little drive-time in this morning so all is good.

I guess today is just a quiet day of sipping a little scotch and doing some practice time in preparation for the blues fest I’m playing in July.

Hope all have a great week.

Had a big hole bored into my skull just behind my ear a couple weeks. Just regaining consciousness now. Walking and speaking were pretty rough for a while there.
    On the plus side, it forced me to complete a 6 song EP I had been working on, and I was in the studio til midnight just hours before the surgery. Big fun!
    This gettin' old stuff ain't for sissies! I'll pos a SoundCloud link in the proper forum if anyone would like to give it a listen.
    Funny how you play all your life, put something out there and the big thrill is getting 38 listens, LOL. Fortunately that not why I wrote or recorded the music.
    Have a great Sunday everyone, and enjoy that summer weather!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Had a big hole bored into my skull just behind my ear a couple weeks. Just regaining consciousness now. Walking and speaking were pretty rough for a while there.
    On the plus side, it forced me to complete a 6 song EP I had been working on, and I was in the studio til midnight just hours before the surgery. Big fun!
    This gettin' old stuff ain't for sissies! I'll pos a SoundCloud link in the proper forum if anyone would like to give it a listen.
    Funny how you play all your life, put something out there and the big thrill is getting 38 listens, LOL. Fortunately that not why I wrote or recorded the music.
    Have a great Sunday everyone, and enjoy that summer weather!
    Hey Bob, glad to see your doing good. We've got lots of shows lined up so when you feel up to it you're welcome to come knock the rust off with us anytime. Hope things just keep getting better and better for you.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Hey Bob, glad to see your doing good. We've got lots of shows lined up so when you feel up to it you're welcome to come knock the rust off with us anytime. Hope things just keep getting better and better for you.

Chuck
    Thank you Chuck. Always a good time with Skyway! I'm playing but it's a bit like stuttering. The idea occurs but doesn't quite make it to the strings as intended.
    I used to have to drink to play like this. Now it's free! LOL.

Feels like it will come back. Just takes a little time. Good thing I finished the EP project the night before surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Thank you Chuck. Always a good time with Skyway! I'm playing but it's a bit like stuttering. The idea occurs but doesn't quite make it to the strings as intended.
    I used to have to drink to play like this. Now it's free! LOL.

Feels like it will come back. Just takes a little time. Good thing I finished the EP project the night before surgery!
    Bob,

I filled in the boys in the band they send their best wishes and wanted me to tell you Skyway has your back.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Bob,

I filled in the boys in the band they send their best wishes and wanted me to tell you Skyway has your back.

Chuck
    You guys are the best!