Thread: The Sunday Thread For August 20th

The Sunday Thread For August 20th

It’s one of those sleepless nights so I’m sitting here watching the women’s soccer match between Spain and England. I was hoping it would bore me to sleep but that ain’t happening.

Hope all have a great week.

Sunday. The Thread. August 20, 2023

Yes, it's Sunday again. Day of rest. I have a couple of days of training, but other than that it's going to be a pretty easy week. My granddaughter starts school Monday, as I suspect many kids will this week (one local county has school starting on Thursday. WTH?). So, I pretty normal, casual Sunday on my plate. Yours?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread For August 20th

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    It’s one of those sleepless nights so I’m sitting here watching the women’s soccer match between Spain and England. I was hoping it would bore me to sleep but that ain’t happening.

Hope all have a great week.
    Two weeks in a row now we've collided, Laker! I was taking my time watching TV while typing and you beat me to it. Happy Sunday, everyone!
    Striving to be ordinary

Played a show last night, have a Sunday matinee show this afternoon. So far off next weekend so hopefully no call ups and I can go do some fishing.

Why do they call it "playing?" Sure seems like working to me, lol.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Lazy day planned today. Packing for a few days in Nashville to visit my birth mother and sister. My brother is also flying in for a couple days. It's a special blessing to have found them after a lifetime of wondering... I was lucky that my adoptive parents were so awesome, and while they were alive I never felt the need to know my history, but finding them has been really cool. Lawn done yesterday - little else needs to be done.

Starting two week vacation on Tuesday - originally supposed to be Monday, but a superintendent friend of mine just started in a new school district and wants to do a training session to get them all started in the right direction... so ... vacation starts Tuesday.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

FYI FIFA Women's World Cup final: Spain beat England 1-0

Off to an early start today.

Just scored two pedals, Maestro Fuzz-Tone and King Vox-Wah from the early 70's in near mint condition, and they both work beautifully!

The wah is a touch scratchy on the sweep, but the sound is terrific!

The Fuzz-Tone sounds killer when mixed in moderation with a light overdrive from the amp. Not sure how useful it is in live performance, but as a recording tool it should great! This pedal is heavy. Weighs 2lbs 12oz. They don't make 'em like that now.

Going to buy a new hitch mounted bike rack today so I can travel more easily with my bicycle. Broke the 800 mile mark yesterday on a ride between Granby CT and Westfield MA yesterday. 27 miles.

Finishing up a set of chimes precision tuned to the 9 sacred Solfeggio frequencies, then going to visit mom at the physical therapy place where she's recovering from back surgery.

Busy day!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I had my second shingles vaccine on Friday and woke up yesterday with a mild fever and aches and pains. That passed fairly quickly and I'm ready to have a nice day today. It's sunny and the temperature is nice.

I'm expecting a stereo breakout cable to use in the loop of the Fuchs Blackjack 21 (it has a single stereo jack for the FX loop). I also have a better handle coming for the amp. The handle that it came with is a Fender blackface type of handle, but the plastic is so soft and thin that the metal strap digs in when I lift the amp.

had first real outpatient PT session last week, starting tomorrow, it's 2x week on Mondays and Thursdays. Authorized for 10 sessions and I already know it's not going to be enough. Interesting in how much difference the focus is on the exercises. Before it was really about just getting you moving, now it's detailing very specific muscle groups. Waiting to hear from ortho center about when I can expect to resume chiropractor visits, and I should also ask about when can I sit up straight and play guitar.

It's hard to believe that 2 weeks from tomorrow is Labor Day, the official unofficial end of summer around here. I haven't really noticed the tourists this year since I've basically been home all day every day and not out on the road much at all. I have to RSVP for my nephew's wedding today. Ambivalent about going, mostly because it's at my ex-BIL's house and 2 hours 45 minutes away. I did find out that the ceremony is at 5 PM so it should be over by 6. If I duck out of there, I can be home by quarter to nine. Sunset on Sept 16 is 7PM so I should be back on the highway by then.

Not much planned today, exercise and icing hip and knee. repeat.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Had a couple interviews last week that are progressing to final interviews this week. Went and looked at some land Sat. My wife loves it, I like but am scared to dig into the reserves w/o a Perm job. Played a bass gig last night that we had many compliments on. Today was church, pay some bills and some football.
    Mark

Forum Member

Was in Hilton head with the family this past weekend. Miserably hot and humid, my run Saturday morning was gorgeous but miserable. Had fun at the beach, the heat wiped us all out though. On my way to Nebraska for business this week. My first trip to Nebraska. I hear there is lots of corn and cows.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    Was in Hilton head with the family this past weekend. Miserably hot and humid, my run Saturday morning was gorgeous but miserable. Had fun at the beach, the heat wiped us all out though. On my way to Nebraska for business this week. My first trip to Nebraska. I hear there is lots of corn and cows.
    I drove through Nebraska one night and we smelled cow manure the whole way.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    That is one, flat state and I remember one trip across Nebraska on the Harley where I was constantly fighting a strong wind out of the south and, as I headed east, my wife and I had to always lean into the wind. When I’d pass an 18 wheeler I had to be ready to correct that lean angle as the truck would block that constant southerly wind. It was quite an interesting ride.

I traveled with a couple of sales reps to a site in Nebraska (that I now can't find on the Internet) that was built underground and into the side of mountain designed to withstand a direct hit by a 747 airplane. I want to say it was SAABRE, but my memory is failing me. It's the only placed that made you stand on a scale going in an coming out. If your weight varied by more than a couple of ounces, you were pulled aside for further "questioning." Of course, it didn't happen to me, but it was quite the experience!
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I traveled with a couple of sales reps to a site in Nebraska (that I now can't find on the Internet) that was built underground and into the side of mountain designed to withstand a direct hit by a 747 airplane. I want to say it was SAABRE, but my memory is failing me. It's the only placed that made you stand on a scale going in an coming out. If your weight varied by more than a couple of ounces, you were pulled aside for further "questioning." Of course, it didn't happen to me, but it was quite the experience!
    Back in my plumbing days we did work for a company that processed Gold, silver and other precious metals. They checked everything going out the door and had a vacuum system connected to moving screens so anything that got on your feet was grabbed, sorted and reprocessed. Not quite weighing us, but we had worked for them for years and they trusted us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    It definitely has a certain aroma!
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    You should have stopped at the Bohemian Cafe in Omaha and had one of their steaks to appreciate the reason for the smell!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    You should have stopped at the Bohemian Cafe in Omaha and had one of their steaks to appreciate the reason for the smell!
    Yummm!!!!!