Thread: The Sunday Thread For The End of July. 07/30/2023

The Sunday Thread For The End of July. 07/30/2023

The Sunday thread has become perhaps my sole contribution to this forum of late. I haven't purchased any new guitar gear recently, and I'm plugging away, mostly acoustically on songs I enjoy. I dabble with open G tuning on my Fender Classic Player Triple Tele at times, but that's pretty much my guitar life these days.

I am running again, which after a more than two year layoff reveals to me how out of shape I've gotten. Still, I'm already finding my resting heart rate has gone down, I'm sleeping better, and my muscle tone is returning. I have to work on my stamina, but I did my first three miles yesterday and don't have any soreness. Fortunately, the knee issue that sidelined me right after the pandemic seems to have mostly abated.

Stay well my friends. It's the hot days of summer (except for Mr. S Cane), so avoid the sun, stay hydrated, and boogie on!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread For The End of July. 07/30/2023

There's not much happening here behind the Cheddar Curtain so just killing a little time until we head out for our Sunday morning breakfast run with friends. For something a little different today we're going to spend some time dancing polkas and waltzes at an old-time dance later today so it will be a test if the old muscles will still allow me to do that.

Hope all have a great Sunday and a good week!

Happy Sunday, all!!! Will start the day (when I finally do start it) by mowing the lawn. Couldn't do it last week because of the heat and rain, so it's pretty high - Can't bag it this time.

Pretty excited - my oldest daughter and her fiance just closed on a house a couple miles away from us. We dropped off a lawnmower, lawn spreader, string trimmer and a bunch of shovels, hoes, rakes and a 5' ladder. Should get them rolling. It was a foreclosure sale, so it needs a ton of work, but it's a solid house (actually a Sears Catalog house!). My younger daughter also looked at a house last week - it would have been right around the corner from her sister's house and they actually back up to the same brook just downstream from each other.That house was also a foreclosure, but a DISASTER! My brother and i took a look at the plumbing and heating and advised her to stay away. For once she listened.

It's neat to grow up in a town where your experiences were so great that you can't think about living anywhere else. My Dad built his first house here in 1948 (we live 2 miles from that one) and never left town (but he did build three other houses in town and moved around a bit. I'm on my second house here in Bloomfield, too.

Still reeling from Friday's recording session. We brought in a friend of mine who is a singer (At least she told me she was). Holy CR@P!!! she had some pipes! We ended up getting her to back three tunes so far and they are so much better now. I posted them in the member section. We're scheduled to go back in a few weeks and do some more. Had a BLAST doing it, too.

Tonight we're going to see a friend of mine play guitar at a local club. Jeff Pevar has run with the big dogs and has some amazing chops. Haven't seen him play since he last toured with David Crosby a few years ago. He's also from the same home town and does a locaL tour every couple years giving back to the people who helped him get started by hitting their clubs for shows. This is the last night of his latest run. iT WILL BE GREAT!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

finally getting a break from the brutal heat and humidity today. looking forward to getting out for my walk. I started off walking the length of my yard, 3x day for 3 days, then add another yard every 3 days. by the end of the week I'll be walking the equivalent of my street or about 3/8th mile. See a doctor on Thursday and get referral to PT and hopefully cleared to drive.

Still not any playing going on. I want my songs I've paid for and printed out to work on, I don't want to just noodle although I should do that to build up my calluses. I also need to get back into trimming my nails more often.

If it's nice where you are, get out and enjoy the weather. Here in the Granite State we have only a few weeks left of non-sweater/jacket weather left, especially at night. Already seen temps sliding below 60 overnight.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    The Sunday thread has become perhaps my sole contribution to this forum of late. I haven't purchased any new guitar gear recently, and I'm plugging away, mostly acoustically on songs I enjoy. I dabble with open G tuning on my Fender Classic Player Triple Tele at times, but that's pretty much my guitar life these days.

I am running again, which after a more than two year layoff reveals to me how out of shape I've gotten. Still, I'm already finding my resting heart rate has gone down, I'm sleeping better, and my muscle tone is returning. I have to work on my stamina, but I did my first three miles yesterday and don't have any soreness. Fortunately, the knee issue that sidelined me right after the pandemic seems to have mostly abated.

Stay well my friends. It's the hot days of summer (except for Mr. S Cane), so avoid the sun, stay hydrated, and boogie on!
    Congratulations OldStrummer! Another running geek here. IME knee problems are actually foot or hip problems. The knee is a dumb joint whose role is to go wherever the feet and hips tell it to. If it hurts then the knee or hip (or both) is/are telling it to do something weird.

Hoping you can stay on the road!!
    Got them Statesboro Blues

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Sorry for the late post. Not been feeling well the last week, and with the stress my focal dystonia was on overdrive. Was feeling better coming into the weekend. Had a bass gig Sat night that went well (much better than Thurs rehearsal). Had 2 guitar gigs Sun. Got thrown a curve ball with a set list substitution as I was leaving for 1. The new song I have played on bass but not guitar. Did a run through and all was good. Come play time, the IEM receiver died. Did a battery change mid 1st song. No joy. Got the sound guy to look at it still in first song (had already ripped out my IEMS and using what I heard in the house (it was a silent stage). Sound guy got it working and had it to me after my opening riff on the 2nd song.

issue, the on/vol dial is on the fritz. Time for a new receiver.
    Mark