Thread: Let's give Oldstrummer another break in starting a Sunday thread....

Let's give Oldstrummer another break in starting a Sunday thread....

Not much going on today. This week is going to be cool. On Monday I will complete my 1,500th workshop with a Board of Education here in Connecticut. It should be closer to 1,750, but COVID really put a cramp in my schedule for the last couple years. On Saturday I will finally work with board #162 (out of 169 boards of education in the state). Only 7 to go and it will be every one... I love my job!!!!!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Let's give Oldstrummer another break in starting a Sunday thread....

Thanks, GJ! While you were typing this one, I was posting another. We has our pick this week!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

majority rules, minority early bird gets eaten by the worm, or something like that. Almost simul-posted, the winnah by 3 minutes.

Woke up hungry, have some leftovers for brunch #1 heating in the toaster oven as I type. I've been doing better about getting up earlier than the crack of noon. Why I'm almost getting up near this hitherto unseen astronomical event called a sunrise. Of course the bugger is preceding each morning earlier and earlier so I concede any attempts to greet it as a fanciful notion not worth the trouble.

part of the above is due to retiring earlier than I had been of late, and getting up anyway if I do stay up. I need to start playing during the day as I have cut the late hours of guitar time. As a result, I have played very little in the last couple of weeks. Balance, it's all about balance. Find the new center. The cat seems to be on board with this earlier getting up beeswax. He gets play time bonus.

Not a lot planned today, as usual. Keep the water bottles filled. The second machine in the basement really solidifies the environmental control strategy. I'm seeing rh levels that were unobtainable in the old house in weather this cold. I'm thinking of getting some guitars out for a check up and see how they are faring.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Whenever I see something about Connecticut it reminds of the absolute worst drivers I have ever encountered. When my wife and I were on our return leg of our motorcycle trip to Newfoundland we spent the night around Stamford and encountered drivers that seemed to aim at our bike on I95 like we were a target. Without a doubt, the scariest driving we ever encountered in 48 states of travel.

I hope all have a great Sunday and new week to come.

most of my encounters with out of state drivers is from MA, we get a share of CT and a smattering of NJ/NY drivers. Mass drivers tend to be oblivious to the presence of other drivers, CT drivers seem to be antagonized by existence. NJ drivers are can be either way, and sometimes startling docile. NY drivers are confused by lack of aggression as they're surrounded by CT and NJ.

All this is tongue in cheek with middle finger wagging. I've heard about Maryland, although I've seldom been there or seen them. It seems as though everywhere thinks all the other drivers suck.

I, for one, can't wait for our self-driving overlords. I'd like nothing more than to take the human factor out of the equation. I'm still convinced that we are still many multiple generations of AI away from that being an actuality, and have little confidence it will happen in my lifetime.

Once they develop an AI that can look at the weather and say "Nope, sorry, stupid human but there's no way I'm going out in that shit and neither are you" then we'll be there.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Whenever I see something about Connecticut it reminds of the absolute worst drivers I have ever encountered. When my wife and I were on our return leg of our motorcycle trip to Newfoundland we spent the night around Stamford and encountered drivers that seemed to aim at our bike on I95 like we were a target. Without a doubt, the scariest driving we ever encountered in 48 states of travel.

I hope all have a great Sunday and new week to come.
    Even Connecticut folks avoid the I-95 corridor from New Haven to Greenwich! I am most concerned when I see plates for Quebec, Mass., New York and New Jersey!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

My pediatrician aunt lived in Old Greenwich and had her practice in Stamford. She was so ditzy that my mother refused to get in a car with her behind the wheel.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I did my masters at UConn. That area of CT has the rudest people I've ever met. I love New Yorkers and Rhode Islanders, but geez. You'd walk in a shop and almost get the feeling that you needed to thank THEM for selling you groceries. You felt hatred and rudeness everywhere you went. When I moved to Oxford, OH for my PhD, I couldn't believe how nice and friendly folks were in comparison. It was like being in TN again. Our "good morning" and "have a great day. thanks for coming in" might be superficial; but they make live a little more pleasant overall.

But I swear, in some spots, you Yankees could do with a few lessons in Southern hospitality. (criticism of the South is welcome too).
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    But I swear, in some spots, you Yankees could do with a few lessons in Southern hospitality. (criticism of the South is welcome too).
    Then again, I live on the outskirts of Washington, D. C., which John F. Kennedy described as a city with "southern efficiency and northern charm." One of the best descriptions, ever.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I did my masters at UConn. That area of CT has the rudest people I've ever met. I love New Yorkers and Rhode Islanders, but geez. You'd walk in a shop and almost get the feeling that you needed to thank THEM for selling you groceries. You felt hatred and rudeness everywhere you went. When I moved to Oxford, OH for my PhD, I couldn't believe how nice and friendly folks were in comparison. It was like being in TN again. Our "good morning" and "have a great day. thanks for coming in" might be superficial; but they make live a little more pleasant overall.

Fair call... some folks are that way in CT...

I think that no matter where you are in this country, the further away from large urban areas the more relaxed and friendly people will be. In our travels we have had great interaction with the locals when stopping in mom ‘n pop establishments in small towns no matter where we traveled. It must be the stress and anxiety of living in a cement jungle that creates the irritated beast.

I think that no matter where you are in this country, the further away from large urban areas the more relaxed and friendly people will be. In our travels we have had great interaction with the locals when stopping in mom ‘n pop establishments in small towns no matter where we traveled. It must be the stress and anxiety of living in a cement jungle that creates the irritated beast.
    +1

💯
    Striving to be ordinary

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

+2

I'll take flyover country over the urban jungles any day.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I agree with Laker that the outlying areas can be friendlier, but that wasn't my experience in the rural area I lived in, Coventry, CT. Pretty land, especially beautiful on the lake in the winter, when folks drill into the ice and catch a mess of "em.

However, I do know that other parts of Connecticut are friendlier. I do know it's true of New England. Took a slow ride up along the coast to Arcadia National Park. I remember the shopkeeps and restaurant workers as being friendly enough.

In Boston during a traffic jam, I asked an elderly woman if she'd let me over in the lane when traffic started. She raised her middle finger and said, "Fuck you!" I had to giggle about it. Bless her. I hope the rest of her life was more pleasant than that.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison