Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sterling Cutlass?

  1. #1
    Forum Member OldStrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,618

    Sterling Cutlass?

    DanTheBluesMan just purchased a Sterling Stingray bass, and the overall impression from the crowd here is that it's a darn fine bass.

    I was home doing some COVidiotic surfing and came across a Sterling Cutlass Short Scale B-stock S-type at Chicago Music Exchange. If you've stayed awake reading any of my posts, you know I've been on a short scale kick lately. I landed a Fender Modern Player short scale Telecaster (MIJ, but very nicely crafted and a silky-smooth neck!) but I don't think Fender ever put out a short scale Strat. If they did, they're all swallowed up.

    Yes, it's a stretch. Yes, it's b-stock. Yes, it's PINK. But the price is almost too good to pass up. Any thoughts?


    Striving to be ordinary

    Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

  2. #2
    Forum Member DanTheBluesMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Sterling Cutlass?

    never had a chance to try any of the short scale fenders, except for a Mustang Bass which was an absolute hoot to play.

    it would be very interesting to play a short scale Tele, especially now that I like playing Teles. Lately I've been in a Gibson/Epiphone binge for playing.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

  3. #3
    Forum Member OldStrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,618

    Re: Sterling Cutlass?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    never had a chance to try any of the short scale fenders, except for a Mustang Bass which was an absolute hoot to play.

    it would be very interesting to play a short scale Tele, especially now that I like playing Teles. Lately I've been in a Gibson/Epiphone binge for playing.
    My short scale Tele is a fine guitar. The high gloss neck is quite smooth to play. I think I may put a heavier gauge set of strings on it, as I wind up bending notes when I'm not even trying (something I've learned over time with my playing and light gauge strings).

    Striving to be ordinary

    Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

  4. #4
    Forum Member OldStrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,618

    Re: Sterling Cutlass?

    It looks like the B-stock Cutlass has been grabbed up. Well, it was only a slight bit cheaper than new, so if I choose to go this route, I'd probably go for the Mint Green...

    Striving to be ordinary

    Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

  5. #5
    Forum Member ch willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,265

    Re: Sterling Cutlass?

    It's a good looking guitar. I'd prefer the mint over pink anyway. If you ever wore clothes to match the mint, you'd have a little less explaining to do.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

  6. #6
    Forum Member DanTheBluesMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Sterling Cutlass?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It looks like the B-stock Cutlass has been grabbed up. Well, it was only a slight bit cheaper than new, so if I choose to go this route, I'd probably go for the Mint Green...

    I'd check one of those out. But not now, I'm seriously considering some Grovers for my Gibson guitars, and a new computer. No more guitars. Hear that, Google, stop sending me those damn ads.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

  7. #7
    Forum Member OldStrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,618

    Re: Sterling Cutlass?

    Right now, the Christmas giving season has allowed me to put my GAS aside for a while. But after the new year... watch out!

    What might edge out the Cutlass is a Henry. I've yearned for a side gate model, and with a pistol caliber (.38 / .357)...

    (Sorry about the photo size. It appears everyone wants to see these things LARGE)


    Striving to be ordinary

    Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

  8. #8
    Forum Member gibsonjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bloomfield, CT
    Posts
    6,348

    Re: Sterling Cutlass?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Right now, the Christmas giving season has allowed me to put my GAS aside for a while. But after the new year... watch out!

    What might edge out the Cutlass is a Henry. I've yearned for a side gate model, and with a pistol caliber (.38 / .357)...

    (Sorry about the photo size. It appears everyone wants to see these things LARGE)


    I've always wanted a lever action rifle. Grew up wanting a Winchester (especially when they made them here in New Haven, CT). Henrys on the short list, too. Unfortunately, owning a gun is not a good idea with Mrs. Junkie's problems.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •