Thread: Do you love playing your Les Paul? I'm torn

Do you love playing your Les Paul? I'm torn

I love the sound of my Les Paul; I love it's looks. It is in every way my dream Les Paul. I went through 4 before I got this one, and it's really something.

I admit that its bulk makes me grab for other guitars first. No wonder Clapton said he was trying to get a great vintage Strat sound, but also the sound of a Gibson.

I wouldn't mind having a Les Paul Jr or some other less bulky model, but I wouldn't trade the sound I already get with any other guitar.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Do you love playing your Les Paul? I'm torn

I love my Les Pauls and I get what people mean about their ergonomics. Probably why Gibson went to the SG model as a replacement to try to get sales share back from the insanely comfortable Stratocaster.

Now I have an SG and my LP. I won't want to part with either of them.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I love my Les Pauls and I get what people mean about their ergonomics. Probably why Gibson went to the SG model as a replacement to try to get sales share back from the insanely comfortable Stratocaster.

Now I have an SG and my LP. I won't want to part with either of them.
    I found this at a Guitar Center - they were a special run guitar... the lightest electric guitar I own (tied with a Double-cut LP special faded) at 7.2 pounds.

My favorite is the Goldtop w/P-90's, though - that one weighs 9.4#

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I did love mine when I played one.

Actually, being a small guy and having short arms and small hands, it's curious how a strat is entirely non-ergonomic to me. It's actually an uncomfortable guitar, while the Les Paul was the most comfortable and steady guitar I've ever played.

Thing is, since I first played a strat I figured that that was the sound I was pursuing. no other guitar gives me what a strat gives, perfect balance between elegance and boldness, light and shade, crystal and steel. The Gibsons are a bit too brute, too thick and blunt to my ears.

But no doubt, a standard Les Paul is a state of the art guitar.

I love the look and feel of my Les Paul, but the tone is a little flat. I think the one that I have is just a bit of a dull sounding guitar.

I’ve experimented with pickups (it’s got Duncan Seths with A4 mags in it), wiring (‘50s wiring with VIPots and PIO caps), hardware (Faber bridge with their BSWKIT studs and an RS aluminum tailpiece and steel studs. It’s been set up various ways to no avail.

I hate to move on because playability, look and weight are great, but sometimes the guitar and player just aren’t a match.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I found this at a Guitar Center - they were a special run guitar... the lightest electric guitar I own (tied with a Double-cut LP special faded) at 7.2 pounds.

I saw those when they came out - 2010, or thereabout, maybe?
    I really liked it, but my GC only got one that I ever saw - it was on my mind for a while, and when I figured out financial logistics of possibly getting one, they were gone, I haven't seen that one since. There was a CST shop version that was $2500+ a couple years later, that wasn't going to be an option without turning a lot of other gear around.

As to the OP's question, I do love and play my Les Paul, though mine is a bit lighter weight than the average - 8.5, give or take, I think. I do also have a Heritage H150, (for all intents and purposes the same thing) that is pushing 11 pounds. I like that one a lot too, but playing for a long time is tough on the back. I do have a wide, padded strap for it that helps a lot.
    I have a lot of guitars and I do swap around all the time - sometimes in a given session, sometimes not.
    So if I play the Heritage, it's probably not for all night, where my LP, SG, Strat etc I can.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I saw those when they came out - 2010, or thereabout, maybe?
    I really liked it, but my GC only got one that I ever saw - it was on my mind for a while, and when I figured out financial logistics of possibly getting one, they were gone, I haven't seen that one since. There was a CST shop version that was $2500+ a couple years later, that wasn't going to be an option without turning a lot of other gear around.

As to the OP's question, I do love and play my Les Paul, though mine is a bit lighter weight than the average - 8.5, give or take, I think. I do also have a Heritage H150, (for all intents and purposes the same thing) that is pushing 11 pounds. I like that one a lot too, but playing for a long time is tough on the back. I do have a wide, padded strap for it that helps a lot.
    I have a lot of guitars and I do swap around all the time - sometimes in a given session, sometimes not.
    So if I play the Heritage, it's probably not for all night, where my LP, SG, Strat etc I can.
    I got one of the last ones. I stopped at the local store and they had one - long after they were introduced. Since it was my birthday, my wife gave me the go-ahead. I think I paid $800 for it. The tuners are pretty cheap but other than that it's a nice guitar.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I'm sure I'd get used to it if I left the Fenders on the wall for a while. I mean seriously, my Les Paul has gorgeous tone. I've even thought about selling it, and then I play it for 3 minutes and realize how stupid it would be to do so.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm pretty close to selling my Les Paul. The pics have been taken!

The Guild Blues 90 has a sound that's more to my liking and the neck is even bigger (better).

I hesitate to sell the LP because the look, weight and playability suit me so well. I'm afraid that I didn't try enough to improve its tone. On the other hand, I've found that things that you do to improve a guitar's tone can only make a guitar that you like sound a few percent better (or different in a way that suits you). You can seldom make a guitar that you don't care for and make it great.

I agree, Don. I’ve had a few that just couldn’t suit me no matter what was done to it.

I have two Les Pauls and two SGs. I haven't played any of them in nearly/over a year. I'm planning on selling the SGs and one of the LPs.

TFF Stage Crew

I've had several and sold several, but I always keep one on hand. My current favorite is one of the latest "Original" series. I know the LP stuff can be debated endlessly, just like the Fender stuff, and I don't pretend to be an expert, but I feel like the non-weight-relieved body does make a difference in the sonic impact. However, even the weight-relieved LPs are heavy compared to many Strats, so this thing is HEAVY.

Playing live, especially north of 50-years-old, a four-hour gig goes a lot easier for me with a Strat slung on my shoulder. All of my Strats have a single-coil-sized humbucker in the bridge position, so I feel like I can coax a WIDE variety of sounds out of it for the cover material that we do. I love Strats (and Teles).

But, for me, there's something I can't describe about playing crunchy rhythm, and/or lead on a Les Paul. With my Strat, maybe I can get 90% of the way to some well-known Les Paul sound in any given cover tune, but that last 10% you can only get from a LP... man, it just knocks me sideways. There have been many times that I think, if it weren't for the comfort issue, I'd probably only gig LPs. YMMV, but that's me.

I started playing on a LP I love the crunch of a good Lester. I play mine a lot but I also love my 339, I don't even own a strat ATM although I am looking around for one. I agree with Pete nothing gets that LP tone some come close..

Here's the one that I can't seem to coax the tone that I want out of! It weighs just over 8 pounds and is fine on my shoulder all night.

Forum Member

Weight has never been an issue for me. My '87 AVRI Telecaster is no lightweight, for starters.

Hell, I own/play a Peavey T-60. Although I got a solid color one (which are often, as is mine, poplar, and thus lighter than the natural finish Northern Ash ones), so still not as heavy as many LPs. Then again, I have a T-40 bass too, and it IS natural/Northern Ash, and probably 12 pounds!

That said, many of my Les Pauls are slab body Specials (and thus lighter than maple-capped arch-tops), and some are double-cuts, and thus lighter than singlecuts.

So: am I "torn?"

Not one damn bit! I loves me some Pauls.

I love the fact that some long-time members are making themselves known again! Thanks for posting, and love yer pics!

Forum Member

Just a weird combo of feel and sounds could hit you at the right time.

I have always been more Gibsonish than Fenderish, however I have always loved both Strats and Teles.

I bought this one I have shown before that hits me just right when I feel the need for a set neck and smaller body but need the Fender single coil sounds.

Yeah, it's ugly. But it grows on you.

Yeah, it don't sound exactly like either, but is is one of the best sounding guitars I have had the pleasure of playing.

It has a set neck, lpish carved top, Fender scale, Fender shaped back, the most beautiful shaped soft v neck, whammy bar.

It is ALWAYS in tune.

I think it is the best, most original beast Collings makes.

And at 7 pounds 9 ounces it don't kill me.

Not easy to find though...several used on Reverb...

https://www.collingsguitars.com/elec...uitars/360-st/