Thread: Installing 14" Tilt Legs on DRRI

Installing 14" Tilt Legs on DRRI

Just got a new cover and a 14" leg kit today for my 1 mnth old DRRI
    Bewdiful amp to say the least

However I want the legs installed and found this some where, might have been on this forum , not sure
    Does this sound right to you guys or has someone else gott diff ideas
    I just wannabe sure before I drill into the cab (1 mnth old)

"QUOTE"
    I thought I would do a review on the installation of Fender “tilt-back” legs on a new 65 Deluxe Reissue amp. The legs are available in 14”, 16” & 18” sizes to fit a variety of amplifiers. I decided after asking around a bit that the 14” legs were best suited for the Deluxe. There are no instructions or diagrams accompanying the hardware but it’s not difficult to figure out what goes where. I did look at a picture of a Super Reverb to determine the general layout. It would probably be best to visit your favorite music store with a tape measure. The hardware in the package consists of:

2- Legs.
    2- 3/16 pivot bolts.
    2- self-locking nuts.
    6- flat washers. (I only used 4).
    2- lock washers.
    2- pivot stops.
    2- woodscrews for stops.

The tools necessary for installation are:

Drill.
    3/16” drill bit.
    1/8” drill bit.
    #2 Phillips head screwdriver.
    3/8” box end wrench.
    Steel scale or ruler.

The biggest trick is drilling the pivot hole for the legs so that nothing else inside gets drilled and you have room to install the washers & nut. I determined that if I positioned the edge of the leg 1-1\2” from the back edge and 1” off the floor, the hole would clear all interior obstacles. I used a 1” block to insure the same install height on both legs and measured the 1-1/2” from the back edge and then simply marked the hole locations with a ball point pen. Next, I drilled the 3/16” holes as marked and installed the legs using the 3/16” bolt, 2 flat washers, (1 inside, 1 outside), a lock washer & the locking nut.

After the legs are installed it’s time to position & install the stops. I simply leaned the amp back until the legs per perpendicular to the floor, positioned the stop piece against the leg, marked it and drilled a 1/8” hole. 2 screws is all it takes to mount the stops and walla! presto-chango! done!

The installation looks like it was done at the factory and works like a charm.

END QUOTE

Sound right to you guys??
    Thanks

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Installing 14" Tilt Legs on DRRI

Pretty close, Hawkeye.

"Erock of Germany" installed a set on his DRRI an' they look like they were put on at the factory. He usually checks in at the forum around this time so if'n you can hang on a while, he may be available for consultation.

Best of luck.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

This is the general guide I used and then some common sense. Once the tilt legs are installed at the same height and depth, the trick is to figure the angle you want it at.

The measurements mentioned there were OK I guess but I did it to my taste.

I just carefully tilted it back to the angle I wanted, marked where the stopper shoud be and drilled.

Then I made sure it was level and measured where I put the hole on the other side and made sure the amp was level at the front and did not wobble and drilled the other hole. All worked out well.

I will post some pictures of the side later today......
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

Thanks for putting this up hawkeye2u, I've been thinking of doing this to my drri for a while.

Anyone got any opionions as to how this sounds versus sticking the thing on a chair/crate as I've been doing previously?
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Thanks for putting this up hawkeye2u, I've been thinking of doing this to my drri for a while.

Anyone got any opionions as to how this sounds versus sticking the thing on a chair/crate as I've been doing previously?
    It sounds about the same. I have a Weber Beam Blocker on mine as well and it really spreads the sound out on stage when alone. The tilt legs and the amp tilted back on stage just looks cool.......

When we have bigger venues (speak room enough on stage), I pop it on top of a 2x12 cabinet I have on loan now anyway and the Beam Blocker spreads out the sound from the combo well and the bottom 2 speakers really then add some punch. I am going to have a custom cabinet made like an old small Bassman cabinet (30" wide and a bit taller) with a convertible back and then I will have a very versatile setup.

Does the Beam Blocker cut highs?

No, it disperses them evenly. Saying that, I dropped mine and it came loose from the cross bar and now wobbles in use...

I have tilt back legs on my 72DR and will eventually put them on my DRRI. Yes to those instructions and what Erock says about the angle. I find that having the amp on the floor vs. on a chair, you get more Bass from the Floor.

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    Does the Beam Blocker cut highs?
    +1 with Zeiss - it disperses them so the do not come from one direction and spreads it all out so actually to the ear it cut them but physically they are mixed better with the other frequencies.

+1 with Totally bored - I agree that you also get some more bass when on the floor and when tilted along with the Beam Blocker all things just come together and you get better vibe......but you get even more bass when you have a 2x12 cabinet underneath and humming along with Celestion G12H speakers (the DRRI has an Eminence Swamp Thang in it)

Anyway, here are some shots of the legs on it to give you an idea. Again, the basic directions stated at the beginning of the post and then some common sense to what YOU want as the angle....and yes, I added the amp corners and know one is not quite straight. It gives better tone

Close up and tilted:

Full Side

3/4 View

And in the parked position. Be aware, I have taller rubber feet on this to be more stable on cabinets that have a handle on top......a good idea as opposed to the stock ones

Thanks guys, looks like it's worth giving it a go
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I just went through this. By far the hardest part is figuring out what to do with all those damn washers they give you!

Thanks fellas!!
    Spec Erok with the pics, very well documented
    Will give it a go and will post pics after its done

Thanks again

Did the same thing about a year ago....looks much like Erocks....I eyeballed the placement, took a few measurements and off I went!!

DD

I just installed these legs according to the directions provided (thanks) but I had a lot more tilt on the amp when I marked the stops.

personally I would not put legs on a DRRI an amp tilter is the way to go IMHO

http://www.themiddlec.com/catalog/af...akerstand.html

Now a twin well thats a different thing altogether.

May I ask why you would not put the legs on a DRRI?

I just dont think the size warrants it and they sound better off the floor. Mods for mods sake.

Only my opinion though. :)

Many clubs I play in don't have a lot of stage room so the legs do serve a purpose for me especially if I am standing right over my amp. And it allows you to play with less volume in smaller clubs. I felt that the mod was a logically good decision. Plus it's less stuff to carry.

Just put 'em on mine:

Thanks for the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    Many clubs I play in don't have a lot of stage room so the legs do serve a purpose for me especially if I am standing right over my amp. And it allows you to play with less volume in smaller clubs. I felt that the mod was a logically good decision. Plus it's less stuff to carry.
    +1

I'm not a purist either.

I swear that the tone sounds better with the legs but then you can hear yourself better too. We played a small stage last night and I was thrilled at the tone of the DRRI tilted back.
    Last edited by thegeezer; 03-21-2009 at 09:05 AM.

The only downside to usin' the tiltbacks is, you cain't set a Jack Daniels or an ashtray on top of the amp!

I think they're a useful addition to the DR (an' DRRI)......not merely "modding for mod's sake" as some have suggested. You spend enough time on stage an' eventually you figger out what works an' what doesn't......

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    The only downside to usin' the tiltbacks is, you cain't set a Jack Daniels or an ashtray on top of the amp!

Isn't that why they have an angle front control panel. If you get the tilt right you can set your coaster and bottle of Jack on there.

By the way I installed a set on my VV clone last night.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    By the way I installed a set on my VV clone last night.
    Pics, man......we need pics!

I'll post them when I get the amp finished. It's getting closer, but I'm still not quite satisfied with it. I've got the chassis on the bench still and not in the cab.

I put the chassis in the cab just so that I could post a picture for you PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I would consider that a benefit. Not in the fact that there's no tabletop for a nice glass of Jack (I loves me some!), but I reserve a place of honor for amps in general and would never disgrace one by having it double as a beverage stand. But hey, what do I know?

Oh, Wingnut...NICE!
    Last edited by NTBluesGuitar; 03-21-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

C'mon, TJ......amp tops on the stage git used for less important stuff as well.

You know -- like set lists. An' picks. An' capos. You know......non-performance-related stuff.

An' Wingnut......

I only got two words to say to you, hombre......

OUTFRIGGIN' STANDING!!!

Thanks Guys.

I always worry that if I set liquid on top it will spill get into the amp and I'll have a mess to clean up and repairs to make.

Looks got wingnut1!

I just installed these legs on my new George Alessandro hand-wired Fender '65 Blackface Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

I checked this forum and other sources for install info. It was all helpful, including this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqpPuC7c_k&t=1056s

I'd like to share what I learned here:
    Historically, the tilt-back angle on factory amps with legs was 30º. This yielded a 45º angle between the leg and the back of the amp.

Measurements:
    Using a tape measure against the bottom edge of the amp, and a carpenters' or roofers' square from the back, I measured 14 3/4 inches from the bottom and 1 3/4 inches from the back for placement of the pivot holes. Using the carpenters' square, I set the leg angle at 45º from the back, then set the stop screw. With those measures and placement, sure enough, the amp angle measured 30º when tilted back. I did the same careful angle measurement on the other side, and done. The Youtube video shows all of this with the exception of the 14 3/4 measurement.