Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your amplifiers...

Re: Let's see your amplifiers...

Quote Originally Posted by Keefoman1 View Post
    I have to admit that I haven't the slightest idea. (Maybe they were?) All I know is that the amp works great although it might need a minor service again soon. Lockdown pt.2 might just be the right opportunity.
    It looks to me like the cathode bypass and bias caps are original. Hopefully your amp tech gave you a detailed list of the parts he installed. The cathode bypass caps will be identified as "25 Volt, 25uF Electrolytic, axial lead capacitors". Someone else more experienced than I am may chime in on the advisability of replacing these components. Since your amp had already been worked on, originality is not an issue, but reliability is.

If you like to see amp techs in action look for YT videos by "Uncle Doug" or "Psionic Audio". There are others out there also.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Generally, electrolytic caps are like the replaceable consumables of an automobile (tires, brakes, batteries, belts, hoses, etc). For the car to reliably serve its primary purpose, these components must be in good repair. Same way with an amp. These caps are not usually found in the circuits responsible for the actual tone and thus should be replaced at regular intervals. Don't procrastinate until symptoms manifest -- serious (and expensive) damage can result if service is delayed.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I have to admit that I haven't the slightest idea. (Maybe they were?) All I know is that the amp works great although it might need a minor service again soon. Lockdown pt.2 might just be the right opportunity.
    For your benefit, I have attached 2 pictures. On the first one I have circled the cathode bypass caps in red. To my knowledge, they don't have a date code on them. (at least mine didn't)

On the second pic, is the Bias supply. Capacitor is circled in red, resistor in green and diode in yellow. There should be a date code on the capacitor. Mine reads 231-6931A which is the 31st week of 1969, although the way they had it soldered in it was hard to read the date code until I removed it.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

It's important to note the polarity of the bias-supply cap -- the "positive" lead must be connected to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    It looks to me like the cathode bypass and bias caps are original. Hopefully your amp tech gave you a detailed list of the parts he installed. The cathode bypass caps will be identified as "25 Volt, 25uF Electrolytic, axial lead capacitors". Someone else more experienced than I am may chime in on the advisability of replacing these components. Since your amp had already been worked on, originality is not an issue, but reliability is.

If you like to see amp techs in action look for YT videos by "Uncle Doug" or "Psionic Audio". There are others out there also.
    No partslist, but he gave me the the exchanged parts.

No partslist, but he gave me the the exchanged parts.
    Looks like he did some work on the tremelo circuit, and removed that strange large silver capacitor that was connected to one of the power tubes (I think) in one of your "before" pictures. From the date codes I can see on your old filter caps (1967 and 1968) it was wise to replace everything in the doghouse.

As Phantomman said above, replacing the electrolytic caps is like preventive maintenance, and that's probably what I would have replaced next. And definitely the Bias capacitor. Many recommend upping that cap to a higher value, like 100V/100uF.

Many recommend upping that cap to a higher value, like 100V/100uF.
    No harm will be caused and you *may* find that the amp's bass response is somewhat enhanced. This phenomenon is most audibly apparent with lower-powered platforms such as the Champ, Princeton, and Deluxe (and their derivative) models.

Here is what "can" happen when an electrolytic capacitor fails. This is my late 70's Super Twin Reverb. It hadn't been played for a few years, and when I did fire it up last fall, it literally "fired up". The resistor may have failed first, but luckily no other collateral damage occurred.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 12-14-2021 at 04:17 PM.

I'm torn between a vibrolux reverb and a super reverb. I really do like the sound of 4x10s open back combos, though. I need some 6L6 goodness so it would be a win either way.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm torn between a vibrolux reverb and a super reverb. I really do like the sound of 4x10s open back combos, though. I need some 6L6 goodness so it would be a win either way.
    Either amp would be a good choice. If portability is an issue, the Super Reverb is quite heavy. I couldn't find the weight listed in an old Fender catalog online (I used 1969), but when I weighed mine on my bathroom scale it was 63 lbs.

If portability is an issue, the Super Reverb is quite heavy.
    +1

And an ankle buster as well.

The heaviest I can manage these days is my Vibroverb, with its D130F. About 48 pounds.

I would imagine the Super Reverb with the JBL speaker option is even heavier. There is a fellow on YT (Matthew Scott) who collects vintage guitars and amps and about a month ago he got a 1968 Drip Edge Super Reverb with JBL's factory installed. It sounds really sweet!

He didn't mention what he paid for it (he never does), but said he searched far and wide for it.

I had both at the same time- a '67 Super Reverb and a '66 Vibrolux Reverb. The SR wasn't as heavy as I expected it to be- the Concert II 4x10" combo that I once owned was much heavier, but it was cumbersome. And LOUD! What a glorious sound, though! In the end, I kept the VR. I've had it since around '90 and it's "my" amp. Even though it's not as loud, is less cumbersome or heavy, it seldom gets out of the house in favor of less loud, less cumbersome, lighter amps.

maybe I'll get a Vibrolux Reverb and a custom 4x10 open back cab to put under it. The cab stays home and the combo can go on the road.

A Tele through a Vibrolux Reverb is a heavenly combination.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    maybe I'll get a Vibrolux Reverb and a custom 4x10 open back cab to put under it. The cab stays home and the combo can go on the road.

A Tele through a Vibrolux Reverb is a heavenly combination.
    Found this on Ebay. Someone put a vibrolux reverb chassis into a head cabinet. Might be an interesting solution. I believe the vibrolux is looking for a 4 ohm speaker load, so you would need to wire 4 16 ohm speakers in parallel to get to 4 ohms (I think). I believe Eminence and Celestion make 10 inch 16 ohm speakers. Probably others also.

Found this on Ebay. Someone put a vibrolux reverb chassis into a head cabinet. Might be an interesting solution. I believe the vibrolux is looking for a 4 ohm speaker load, so you would need to wire 4 16 ohm speakers in parallel to get to 4 ohms (I think). I believe Eminence and Celestion make 10 inch 16 ohm speakers. Probably others also.
    searching fruitlessly for a "like" button

I'm thinking the Vibrolux Reverb was not as popular as some of the other Fender models from that era. Or at least I'm not seeing as many of them for sale. Where does it fit in the Fender line-up? Between the Deluxe Reverb and the Pro Reverb?

Where does it fit in the Fender line-up? Between the Deluxe Reverb and the Pro Reverb?
    Correct.

Though designed with professional features (twin channels, multiple speakers, built-in reverb) the Vibrolux Reverb did not find favor among players when initially introduced in August of '64 and it was only much later when it began to be appreciated for its capabilities.

Like the similarly-powered Tremolux, it's now a coveted amp from Fender's halcyon era.

Oddly, I've seen a huge number of Vibrolux Reverbs, especially form 1966, out there, but it's probably because I own one so I'm more focused on them. Back when I bought mine in 1990, I was told that it was a "nice little house amp" and a "poor man's Twin Reverb".

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Correct.

Though designed with professional features (twin channels, multiple speakers, built-in reverb) the Vibrolux Reverb did not find favor among players when initially introduced in August of '64 and it was only much later when it began to be appreciated for its capabilities.

Like the similarly-powered Tremolux, it's now a coveted amp from Fender's halcyon era.
    It seems many of the Fender amps from that era used a similar circuit, the differences being power output and number and size of speakers. Later they got kind of crazy like the circuit in my Super Twin Reverb (late 70's). And the Super Twin Reverb uses a tube no longer produced (6C10), and the NOS ones are becoming hard to find and costly. I have one spare. Someone even designed an adapter to use 2 12ax7's in that socket, but you would have to build it yourself.

And the Super Twin Reverb uses a tube no longer produced (6C10), and the NOS ones are becoming hard to find and costly.
    +1

A similar situation exists with the original Rivera-era Super Champ Amp.

+1

A similar situation exists with the original Rivera-era Super Champ Amp.
    I wasn't aware the infamous "compactron" tube was used on the early Super Champs. In case anyone needs to make an adaptor, I found a site with a schematic for an adaptor. I don't think I can link to the site here, but here are some screen shots I took. If someone needs the complete instructions, they can contact me. I have them saved in a Word Document.

You'll need two of those dual-socket adapters for Fender's Super Twin Reverb which also requires a 6CX8 Compactron in addition to the 6C10.

Will its chassis accommodate both? I don't know.

You'll need two of those dual-socket adapters for Fender's Super Twin Reverb which also requires a 6CX8 Compactron in addition to the 6C10.

Will its chassis accommodate both? I don't know.
    That's a good question. From looking at the schematic, I "think" the pentode side of the 6CX8 drives the reverb send and the triode side appears to be related to the 5 band "harmonic equalizer" circuit, which I don't find to be very useful. The 2 Oddball tubes are mounted right next to each other on the chassis.

Fortunately, the 6CX8's seem to be available still at a reasonable price. I have one spare.

I can't believe Ted Nugent used six of those damned things onstage!

I can't believe Ted Nugent used six of those damned things onstage!

I saw Ted back in 1977, and again in 1980. I don't remember seeing the amplifiers, but I do recall how loud it was!

I saw Ted the first time during the Cat Scratch Fever tour. Those 10 amps were so loud. The bassist Bob Grange kept up with him. Rumbled the guts like a bassist oughtta. I probably owe a bit of hearing loss to the second time I saw Ted. It was so loud that I went out of auditorium, onto the circular hallways of Nashville's Municipal Auditorium. It was still too loud there. Only band I ever saw that was louder was Dream Theatre, around 96-98 in Nürnberg. That actually felt like spikes going into my eardrums.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

I KNEW I had some appropriate speakers laying around. I actually bought these with a bunch of ceramic mag speakers for a run of 2x10 cabinets I made last year but never used them. I thought they were 16Ohms when I bought them, but they are 8. I thought, "what am I going to do with these?" & then stacked them in the corner & contemplated building a 4x10 cab. I think I'll drop two in my B'Master & put my Super Reverb back together, & build a couple 1x10s for fun with the remaining two:
    IMAG2247 by Robert Coggin, on Flickr
    IMAG2246 by Robert Coggin, on Flickr
    Last edited by Cogs; 12-26-2021 at 07:48 PM.

While we're at it...

Ceriatone '66 JTM 45 clone with a 2x12 Greenbacks cab I used as my main amp for years before I got the SR.

1983 Marshall JCM 800 2205 with a 1987 Silver Jubilee V30 cab used for more heavy action.

1996 Marshall JTM 601. Just because... It sounds nice!

And then, I've got a Boss Katana 50 for practice, and also Guitarrig and Bias FX 2 for my computers.

TFF Stage Crew

The inside of that Ceriatone is a work of art!

@keefoman1. Is that Ceriatone amp one you built from their kit? It does look very nice. I checked their website and found that they provide the layout diagrams for their current product line.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 12-29-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Correct poor spelling, lol.

@keefoman1. Is that Ceriatone amp one you built from their kit? It does look very nice. I checked their website and found that they provide the layout diagrams for their current product line.
    I didn't build it myself, and unfortunately I haven't been able to find the person who did. According to the previous owner, it was a kit from Ceriatone, but the person who built it replaced / upgraded some of the parts. It's more than 10 years since I got it, so I can't remember the specific details, or if I remember correctly. All I know is that it's a great amp!

Forum Member

Mesa Express 550+

Princeton Reissue with 12" speaker speaker

Super Champ X2 with 12"speaker

Katana 100 head

Marshall AS50D

"Early morning sunshine tells me all I need to know"

TFF Stage Crew

Oh dang. I'll bet that rig sings

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

He he, my amps are scattered through trailers, practice spaces and the back of my car. I don't think they've ever all been in the same room.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

A few years ago I posted a "family portrait" of amps somewhere (probably here), but the truth of the matter is that these days I'm usually playing acoustic, and when I perform live, I'm plugging into a sound system. So, I've turned minimalist for my practice times. Kind of "going back to my roots," as my first amp was also a "pocket amp" (of sorts). Oldest and newest shown below.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I can't hold a candle to Phantomman's collection, but I liked to roll my own back in the day:

z

I even stained the BFPR repro to look like it's seen a lot of smoky places:

Complete with custom tube chart (harkening back to my graphic design days):

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Ha ha, I see you left the production and date areas blank on the tube chart like Fender often does. Very nice work!