Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: your favorite Fender amp(s)

Re: your favorite Fender amp(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    I had one but ultimately sold it. I wish I had gotten it modded with all the toys...like a tone knob instead of a switch.

Also...I wish they had included a reverb and made the amp in tweed tolex. It really had a great foundational tone - and the price was right - but that tone switch made the amp unusable for me.
    I sold mine to the harp player in the band I'm in. I liked it, it just wasn't a sound that I needed. He loves it! It sounds good!

I've been playing with some anti-Fender amps- a Traynor YGM-1 and I just a pickups a used Soldano Astroverb 16 last Friday.

I'm still sticking with my tweed Deluxe, Vibrolux Reverb, Princeton Reverb and tweed Champ, I just like to get something a little different on the side, if you know what I mean. ;)

1. Fender Twin 65 RI

2. Fender Deluxe Reverb RI

3. Fender Princeton RI

in that order for a blues/jazz player like myself

A bit of a frankenamp, I took a 60s Fender twin cab I had with loaded it with 50's era alnico magnet bell back speakers and then placed a silverface Dual Showman Reverb chassis in it....smokin"

golly gee, talk about a zombie thread. 13 years in the making almost. I looked at my reply, all three of those amps mentioned are gone. However, I am still entrenched in the fender camp with a '69 Non Reverb Princeton and a '72 Champ. Both are about to undergo changes, a 12" baffle for the Princeton with a speaker yet to be determined and a custom cab for the Champ chassis with a Jensen C12N 4-ohm speaker.

My favorite Fender amp is my '65 blackface Dual Showman that was the main bass amp up until purchasing a Sunn Model T with two 18" folded horn bottoms in '75 or so.

Second would be this 1965 blackface Tremolux I purchased from a friend back around 2006. If I had the original hang tags you'd swear this amp was just purchased new; there is not a flaw in either the Tolex or grill cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Dang, homeboy! Where have you been?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The king of the amps, mine is ultralinear with JBL speakers.

Forum Member

My '62 Deluxe. A bit battle worn, but it sure sounds amazing.
    Last edited by BGReed2; 05-11-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Super Reverbs, anything before the MV sounds good to me. Four tens... that's a lot of surface area.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Super Reverb , what else? (better if '66)
    With this beast :https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by stardust View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Super Reverb , what else? (better if '66)
    With this beast :https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    I like my bassman, too (handwired board in a reissue -- though I'm not sure that matters).
    Just curious... is there any noticeable difference in the sound of the amp after the hand-wiring was done?

Is this Bassman an earlier '59 Reissue or a '59 Reissue LTD model?

Quote Originally Posted by BGReed2 View Post
    Just curious... is there any noticeable difference in the sound of the amp after the hand-wiring was done?

Is this Bassman an earlier '59 Reissue or a '59 Reissue LTD model?
    Welcome BGReed! I think. I don't mean to be snarky so please don't take this the wrong way -- an "old time user" of ten years, with only 5 posts to your name. You're a rarity, and should be welcomed with open arms!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Welcome BGReed! I think. I don't mean to be snarky so please don't take this the wrong way -- an "old time user" of ten years, with only 5 posts to your name. You're a rarity, and should be welcomed with open arms!
    Yup, it's been far too long! My first amp was a new '66 Bandmaster, but I was infected with the British blues boom and have been in a constant search for that tone! I have owned either Fenders and/or Marshalls ever since. Reduced to playing classic rock these days and somewhat of a reduced budget I find myself needing a larger amp for certain gigs and am on the lookout for some sort of Fender to get me through. Thought I'd pick the brains of you folks and ask a few questions and climb on board again. Cheers!

Forum Member

A friend of a friend had an old Bassman. Sounded fantastic! I like my Vibro-king![url=https://flic.kr/p/VQYkAR]