Thread: what ever happened to chemistry?

what ever happened to chemistry?

seems like every thread, every article i read about recording is about tweaking the inputs, digital editing, auto-mastering, etc... i've been muddling my way through learning to use a new DAW and it occurs to me that a lot of music gets lost in production, or at least the need to fel like you're in control of the mix...
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Gravity Jim

Re: what ever happened to chemistry?

I don't think so. I began my career in recording at the dawn of the digital age, and even as the tech has gotten more and more, well... digital... but my prime concern is always the feel, the groove.

I honestly don't think anything has gotten lost, and "control over the mix" has been a goal of every engineer since Tom Dowd and before. You still either make interesting music that feels good or you don't.

Don't let the learning curve discourage you. There was a pretty steep learning curve back in the day, too, just a different set of stuff to be learned. Like any system, the day comes when you know how to make it do what you want it to do, and suddenly the tools become transparent and all you can see is the process.

point taken-on sober reflection and a bit of knob twiddling i realized, at the end of the day it's still just a recorder, and i do know how to run one. now i just need to get my homemade GOBO's built and press rec.
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish View Post
    point taken-on sober reflection and a bit of knob twiddling i realized, at the end of the day it's still just a recorder, and i do know how to run one. now i just need to get my homemade GOBO's built and press rec.
    Right on. At the end of the day, it IS just a recorder. As you use it, you'll find it's a recorder that can do some really cool stuff, but it's still just a recorder.

DAW design has gotten so complex that every user ends up kind of customizing it to their own style. Digital Performer does hundreds of things I never use... maybe I touch 10 percent of it. But that's MY 10 percent... if another user watched me, they'd say, "Wow, I didn't know it did that!"

So you just start asking questions as you go along... "gee, I wonder if I could do this???!" Pretty often, the answer is, "yes, you can."