Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Rotator Cuff Surgery

Possible Rotator Cuff Surgery

Wouldn’t you know that just as I’m re-discovering my love for guitar, I may be facing rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder—my neck gripping arm. I’ve had physical therapy for two months with no improvement. So I am getting an MRI on Thursday and will meet with the surgeon the Tuesday after. I’ve heard it can take a long time before one can play guitar after that. But you know what has me just as worried? How will I be able to dress myself? I guess stretch waist pants and t- shirts will be my teaching attire for a while.

It’s still possible that I won’t need surgery, but the doc seemed to think it more probable that I will.

Pig farts!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Possible Rotator Cuff Surgery

watch the language, you'll be struck by lightning

Good luck with the MRI willie. Hoping for the best outcome for ya!

I've had buddies go through rotator cuff surgery and come out the other end just fine. Typical hockey related injury up here.

But you better stock up on muumuus now!

I’m not averse to wearing a muumuu. Haha
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ugg.

July 1 will be my 3 year anniversary.

A few quick thoughts before bed, I’m sure I’ll think of more tomorrow.

Take a large shirt to the surgery that you can drape over yourself to go home. You won’t be putting on a regular shirt for awhile.

If you smoke, quit now. You will not heal correctly if you smoke.

Follow all post op instructions. I know it sounds simple now. But it was hard for me.

You will need new books to read for the first few days and frozen meals for the microwave.

Make your life simple as possible.

You will need a ride home and if possible have someone there with you for the first day or too.

Falls are a major contributor to failed surgery.

My shoulder is stronger now than it has been in 20 years.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Thanks, Coyote Gator. Good advice. I appreciate it.

A friend had rotator cuff surgery and found that a reclining chair provided the best relief. Even for sleeping!

You'll be ok, Willie! I too have a couple of friends who went through that surgery and got entirely recovered, and they don't suffer anything about their playing.

Best wishes, but I am pretty sure you will be perfectly ok!

Btw please excuse me but I am foreign and dumb

What's a muumuu?

a giant dress-like sack that people (usually very large morbidly obese people) can wear

Thanks, Sergio and OS!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    A friend had rotator cuff surgery and found that a reclining chair provided the best relief. Even for sleeping!
    I slept on the couch for a few days. TV, books, nap.

Exactly halfway between the restroom and the microwave.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

TFF Stage Crew

I was away for a few days and came back to this thread... interesting.

A few weeks ago I got positively crushed in a rear-end accident. I was stopped in a line of traffic, she hit me probably going about 40 mph. I saw her coming and subconsciously grabbed the wheel. The impact tore about a centimeter of muscle away from the bone in my rotator cuff. Already had the MRI to learn this, obviously. Starting PT next week, and if it doesn't do the trick, surgery for me too. I'm also freaking out about not being able to play for an extended time.

Here's hoping neither of us need it, Wilie!

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post

A few weeks ago I got positively crushed in a rear-end accident. I was stopped in a line of traffic, she hit me probably going about 40 mph. I saw her coming and subconsciously grabbed the wheel. The impact tore about a centimeter of muscle away from the bone in my rotator cuff. Already had the MRI to learn this, obviously. Starting PT next week, and if it doesn't do the trick, surgery for me too. I'm also freaking out about not being able to play for an extended time.

Wow. I’m so sorry about that for you. I hope PT helps you.

jeez, PC, hope you mend quick. that sucks when it isn't your fault

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks guys. Thankfully lawyerin' doesn't require too much shoulder movement. I've learned to scream, "You can't handle the truth!" without shaking my fist in the air. Sleeping is actually rough, but the prescription strength Naproxin and some groovy muscle relaxer thing help a bunch with that.

Thanks guys. Thankfully lawyerin' doesn't require too much shoulder movement. I've learned to scream, "You can't handle the truth!" without shaking my fist in the air. Sleeping is actually rough, but the prescription strength Naproxin and some groovy muscle relaxer thing help a bunch with that.
    Holy cow Pete. Sorry to hear about this. All my mojo your way bud. Good to see you dropping by though!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks Chuck!

Got some good news. There's no tear in my rotator cuff. Instead, there's a buildup of tissue. I will have to have surgery. March 5th, which is the start of my spring break, won't need to take any sick days. If I understood what the doc said, the recovery time won't be as bad as with a tear.

Wow - sorry to hear this PC - that SUCKS! I hope you don't have long term issues from this -

God news for you Willie on your shoulder.

Man - we fallin apart out here!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Got some good news. There's no tear in my rotator cuff. Instead, there's a buildup of tissue. I will have to have surgery. March 5th, which is the start of my spring break, won't need to take any sick days. If I understood what the doc said, the recovery time won't be as bad as with a tear.

Good news!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

TFF Stage Crew

Great news Willie!

That's really good news, Willie (I think). It still involves surgery, so it's not a trivial thing, but I suspect the recovery time will be a lot less. Good luck!

is it going to be invasive or laproscopic? I know, all surgery is invasive but one involves laying the shoulder open vs just a small incision.

Good news, my friend! You'll be good as new in no time!

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, man!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    is it going to be invasive or laproscopic? I know, all surgery is invasive but one involves laying the shoulder open vs just a small incision.
    Laparoscopic. That’s fine by me.

Thanks everyone

that's a good thing, CW. The therapy afterwards is what makes it work. Don't shirk on the exercises at home. People who get poor results almost always are the ones who don't do the extra work at home.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    that's a good thing, CW. The therapy afterwards is what makes it work. Don't shirk on the exercises at home. People who get poor results almost always are the ones who don't do the extra work at home.
    Man, I’ll do whatever it takes to get it to heal.

Man, I’ll do whatever it takes to get it to heal.
    That's the ticket!

Many years ago (1986, to be exact), at my daughter's fourth birthday party, I shattered my left elbow. Two days just to let the swelling diminish, then reconstructive surgery that included inserting two titanium steel screws in it. Right after I got out of the hospital I went to physical therapy three times a week.

Wow, that little lady was a beast! I would walk out of therapy in the morning feeling like I'd put in a full day's work. But I took to carrying a briefcase and doing stretching and bending as much as I could. The surgeon said I'd probably get 15% range of motion back in my arm.

It's what caused me to put down the guitar for way too many years. (No, it didn't take years to recover, but once I put down the guitar I had a problem picking it back up again).

But I regained about 98% range of motion. I gave up motorcycle riding at the time, too.

Today, I can play guitar and ride a motorcycle if I want to. About the only time I realize I had an injury to my elbow is when the weather changes...

Wow, OS, glad you got that movement back. Yeah, I know physical therapy is going to make me hurt, but if it gets too bad, I'll weep--I ain't afeard of lettin' no tears fall...

Wow, OS, glad you got that movement back. Yeah, I know physical therapy is going to make me hurt, but if it gets too bad, I'll weep--I ain't afeard of lettin' no tears fall...
    Tears in Rain.

I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmm
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
    I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate
    All those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain

time to die

I take he wasn't in the sequel

Wishing you all good mojo.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Thanks, Fret Rattle.

Thanks, Fret Rattle.

I never thought I'd hear someone say that. And mean it.

That's the ticket!

Many years ago (1986, to be exact), at my daughter's fourth birthday party, I shattered my left elbow. Two days just to let the swelling diminish, then reconstructive surgery that included inserting two titanium steel screws in it. Right after I got out of the hospital I went to physical therapy three times a week.

Wow, that little lady was a beast! I would walk out of therapy in the morning feeling like I'd put in a full day's work. But I took to carrying a briefcase and doing stretching and bending as much as I could. The surgeon said I'd probably get 15% range of motion back in my arm.

It's what caused me to put down the guitar for way too many years. (No, it didn't take years to recover, but once I put down the guitar I had a problem picking it back up again).

But I regained about 98% range of motion. I gave up motorcycle riding at the time, too.

Today, I can play guitar and ride a motorcycle if I want to. About the only time I realize I had an injury to my elbow is when the weather changes...

I definitely feel that pain OS! Did the same thing in 2003 (as my first born was still in her mom's belly). Fortunately I was borderline case for surgery (split the head of the radius in three...). I walked around for a few weeks in a sling, actually tried to race my mountain bike about a month after (did 1/4 of a lap and then quit). Took up walking, with about a 60 degree crook in my arm. One day I was out for a stroll and started rotating my forearm. Grabbed my wrist with my other hand and gave it a good crank. Something snapped and then I could bend my arm about 95%. Never did PT as I was starting renos on my house. Seems that swinging a hammer and running a saw and humping tons of building materials was good enough therapy. But if you look closely, I still can't bend my arm a fully flat - stuck at 95% and I do feel it in the wet weather or if I've been holding the phone up to my ear for too long. No issues cycling, even long distance on the road bike. But this cycling injury (and a couple of others) made me think that getting back into motorcycling was the smarter choice! LOL!

Here's me out ripping around the forest on my F800GS last summer....

I never thought I'd hear someone say that. And mean it.
    My handle is Frat Rettle.........but who's counting.

Take care guys, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by Frat Rettle View Post
    My handle is Frat Rettle.........but who's counting.

Take care guys, stay well.
    Oh, I got that. That's why I said, "and mean it!"

I had it in april 2007, could not do much or even fish till that October..best thing I ever did. New shoulder basically..no arthritis nothing..good to go forever