Thread: Argh! Live Venue Went Dark. Now on Zoom/YouTube?

Argh! Live Venue Went Dark. Now on Zoom/YouTube?

Just as I was getting my groove thing on, the venue I've been performing at has decided to go dark. Stating that they don't want to be responsible for anyone contracting COVID, they've decided to shutter the place indefinitely and move concerts and performances to Zoom and/or YouTube.

Before just saying, "I'm out," I wonder if someone can suggest a good (but not too expensive) setup I might look into for putting together a living room broadcast setup? I'm thinking of a microphone of some sort I can plug into my computer and feed into my computer (with or without software enhancing) to use as input to Zoom or YouTube.

I have Apogee's ONE hardware, but I don't think that's appropriate for my needs. I'm about to start researching, but already after only a few sites I'm feeling there's an awful lot to understand: Cardioid, condenser, dynamic. Single vs. Two mics, and so on.

If I decide to go down this path, I'm looking for something I can set up and take down easily, rather than have as a permanent setup.

Many of you guys are pros at this. How do you do it?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Argh! Live Venue Went Dark. Now on Zoom/YouTube?

I'm not familiar with Apogee gear. Do any of your acoustics have onboard electronics? If I were to do something with my Yamaha, which does, I'd run it through an acoustic preamp/interface of some sort. I had my eye on a couple but it was a while ago and I don't remember them off the top of my head.

I'd keep it simple. Either use onboard pickup like my Yamaha or a soundhole pickup like a Dean Markley, either way I'd get an acoustic guitar preamp (pedal is good enough, no need for a rack unit). Single mic for vocals. Cardioid or hyper-cardioid, so they reject sounds from the sides and back. Pretty much any two input audio interface would work, one DI for guitar and one for mic.

the connecting to the computer ought to be simple but if you have an older machine with USB and the interface has something else, you may need an adaptor cable/dongle.

But the video part? I'm clueless about that.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Thanks, Dan. It's Christmas week, so work isn't to onerous right now, so I've had some time to read and research. I also reached out to a friend on mine who does sound professionally for his opinion. By my own research, and running some choices past him, he opined that the following bundle might do the trick. PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 Audio Interface with Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser Microphone, Blucoil 10' XLR Cable, Pop Filter, and 5x Cable Ties.

Here's pretty much what I'm after: Using my computer (MacBook Pro) with camera (I have an external 1080p over the internal 720p) and an external mic fed into the Mac's sound interface and then running them to Zoom or YouTube.

Given the audio quality of Zoom and/or YouTube, especially over computer, I'm not looking for studio quality. I've read people say that the built-in cameras of phones (the back camera, not the selfie) in landscape mode provide sufficient video (providing one has the bandwidth) but it's the audio that needs improving.

(I'd probably need a boom or stand for the mic, too).

Striving to be ordinary

ask your friend if they think a mic isolation shield like this would be of any benefit

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...le-vocal-booth
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I thought of that, too. But I'd rather add items after I've got the base items in place. The pop filter does some of what the reflection filter does, and in my environment I'm not sure I need that much isolation.
    Striving to be ordinary

Don't overthink it. A decent webcam or even a cell phone will be fine to start. A lot of my video is shot in stereo sound on an iPhone and the sound is pretty decent.

For a solo act where the mix isn't complicated you need very little.

GoPro's are really handy too but expensive. We shoot broadcast quality out on the water with a few GoPros these days.

BTW, with a MacBook Pro I'd get an Apogee multi channel interface, DI the guitar and mic. You can use Logic for video editing if you have it.

But like I said, for what you want you don't need a lot of fancy gear. Everyone's an audio engineer in the internet, lol.

Also, for the Presonis box you show you'll need a special mic cord or a converter.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Don't overthink it.

BTW, with a MacBook Pro I'd get an Apogee multi channel interface, DI the guitar and mic. You can use Logic for video editing if you have it.

Chuck
    Thanks, Chuck. And right you are! I pulled out my Apogee ONE gear, plugged it into my MacBook Pro and did a quick take into GarageBand. Not bad, right out of the box! My ONE has a Y cable, so I can plug in my guitar into the 1/4" jack input, and an XLR mic into the other, if I choose to go that right. ONE has the mic built right in, and my test of it on a voice-only Zoom call worked flawlessly. ONE also has 48V phantom power if I think I want to go the condenser mic route.

But as you said, don't overthink it. I plan to start with what I have and build up if necessary.

I'm hoping we get back to live in-person gigs before long.
    Striving to be ordinary