Thread: "Tomorrow's Another Day"--hope you're not getting tired of my posts

"Tomorrow's Another Day"--hope you're not getting tired of my posts

Here's yet another new song. I couldn't get the bass to sound to my liking, but I'll keep tweaking it.

https://soundcloud.com/chicken-house...y-12718-252-pm
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: "Tomorrow's Another Day"--hope you're not getting tired of my posts

I hate it that we can't edit thread names--too late to change "your" to "you're". Ha ha
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Thanks, man.

Cool stuff Willie. Just a suggestion, you might want to play with the dynamics a little. I got the feeling the song came out of the gate at a certain level and then just stayed there for the whole duration. When the chorus comes in the voices are just an add to the mix. If you start off with more space and a little less throttle in the beginning and then build it up it might work better, then break it down at the end so the song has a distinct beginning, middle and ending. I think doing so you may find it easier to place the bass in the mix too. YMMV, but I always work under the assumption that listeners like to feel like they know where they are in the song as they listen to it. It adds a sameness and comfort they're used to. You do R&R songs, ballads, etc. to different structures.

Listen to a few 80's metal ballads, they were actually quite good at this. It was part of the commercial formula but it was solid songwriting for a ballad.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Cool stuff Willie. Just a suggestion, you might want to play with the dynamics a little. I got the feeling the song came out of the gate at a certain level and then just stayed there for the whole duration. When the chorus comes in the voices are just an add to the mix. If you start off with more space and a little less throttle in the beginning and then build it up it might work better, then break it down at the end so the song has a distinct beginning, middle and ending. I think doing so you may find it easier to place the bass in the mix too. YMMV, but I always work under the assumption that listeners like to feel like they know where they are in the song as they listen to it. It adds a sameness and comfort they're used to. You do R&R songs, ballads, etc. to different structures.

Listen to a few 80's metal ballads, they were actually quite good at this. It was part of the commercial formula but it was solid songwriting for a ballad.

Chuck
    Thanks, Chuck. I agree with you. Part of the problem is working with prerecorded drums. It doesn't allow me the kind of dynamics I'd like. But I know you're right, and there are ways to get around this. I've actually just sent a copy without the drum track to a great drummer that I worked with in the mid-90s. Maybe he can help it out a bit. But I will think about what you've said for the next one I do. Thanks for listening and offering suggestions.