Thread: Villager

Forum Member

Villager

My year 2000+ era Fender Villager has Fishman pick-ups and a built-in tuner.
    Questions:
    1. If I use the built-in tuner, will the light (second) strings actually be tuned to an octave higher?
    2. What gauge strings/brand recommended for this guitar?
    Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Re: Villager

Quote Originally Posted by surfinbird View Post
    My year 2000+ era Fender Villager has Fishman pick-ups and a built-in tuner.
    Questions:
    1. If I use the built-in tuner, will the light (second) strings actually be tuned to an octave higher?
    2. What gauge strings/brand recommended for this guitar?
    Thank you in advance for your assistance!
    1. No, the two high strings (B, e) will be tuned in unison. The lower strings are octave strung.
    2. Fender specs their own brand: Fender® 70-12L, 80/20 Bronze (.010-.050 Gauges), PN 0730070423

But you don't have to stick with Fender strings. I'd just look for a quality 12-string set with those gauges (.010 - .050). Now, I personally think the .010 high 'e' strings are too thin. I'd probably look at
    Elixir's Acoustic 80/20 Bronze with Nanoweb coating, or for a little more, Stringjoy has a nice selection of 12-string packages.

Welcome to the Fender Forum!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Okay, that really helps. I have found the lighter G string to be peevish. I thank you for your advice and recommendation.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

For 12 string sets that can be tuned to concert pitch without causing belly lift, take a look at DAddario Nickel Bronze 10-47
    Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    For 12 string sets that can be tuned to concert pitch without causing belly lift, take a look at DAddario Nickel Bronze 10-47
    Okay, DAddario Nickel Bronze 10-47. I thank you for the consultation. The guitar is really nice and for a 12-string, plays quite easily and sounds great. I learned to play guitar on a Framus 12 string many years ago and over the years have collected many guitars. This one was purchased about 10-years ago and rarely played until recently. Again, I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by surfinbird View Post
    I learned to play guitar on a Framus 12 string many years ago and over the years have collected many guitars.
    Another Framus 12-stringer!!! How timely. I just arrived in St. Petersburg, Florida today with my 52 year-old Framus 12-string, where I'm taking it to Seven C Music for a facelift!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Yep, that's the one! I was a kid and I went into a music store in Germany and I saw a bunch of Framus guitars. Electric and acoustic. The six-string acoustic was $50 (US) and a twelve-string was $55. I figured what the heck, for five more bucks I get six more strings! It was my first guitar. What fun playing, Bad Moon Rising and I'm so Glad over and over.