Thread: Interesting

Interesting

Was watching the Dead and Co. show and I noticed JM sounded a bit better than usual. I looked at his rig and he was using what appeared to be a DRRI, and that's exactly what it sounded like.

Always makes me chuckle when I read people say they need more than 22W to play live.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Always makes me chuckle when I read people say they need more than 22W to play live.
    ......Or a rack full of shit.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    ......Or a rack full of shit.
    Meh, depends on the gig. Sometimes in a cover band you need to cover everything from country, to flanged 80's to blues to grunge. My powered cabs are 2000W ea, so that's a pretty heavy combo to lug around, lol!

But yeah, I can cover a lot of music with just a compressor, an OD, a RAT, a delay and a chorus when the venue is tiny.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Interesting that he’s using Fender amplification again. As far as I know his beef with the company and his affiliation with PRS was exactly because of amps. Anyway, a DDRI is a great amp and I can understand the comeback.

As for amp wattage, I have always played small, medium and even near-big gigs with a 40 watt Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and was glad to sell it and buy a Blues Jr with a C12N speaker, which I find even better. I played two gigs with it (mic’d) in a public park almost as wide as a soccer stadium, and many pros nowadays do that too (e.g. Drew Dixon).

I lugged around a Twin Reverb with JBL's (close to 100 llbs) for nearly four decades as a hedge against the possibility of being overwhelmed by the size of a venue or being outgunned by bandmates who were convinced they needed a full stack even in a five-stool pub. About ten years ago I discovered there wasn't a damn thing I couldn't do with my '64 Vibroverb and it's "paltry" forty watts (and 55 lbs). Often I'll go even smaller than that with a '66 Vibrolux Reverb, a '68 Deluxe Reverb, or a '65 Princeton Reverb. There's no sense in beating up one's back, knees, hips, ankles, etc due to output-power hype.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I lugged around a Twin Reverb with JBL's (close to 100 llbs) for nearly four decades as a hedge against the possibility of being overwhelmed by the size of a venue or being outgunned by bandmates who were convinced they needed a full stack even in a five-stool pub. About ten years ago I discovered there wasn't a damn thing I couldn't do with my '64 Vibroverb and it's "paltry" forty watts (and 55 lbs). Often I'll go even smaller than that with a '66 Vibrolux Reverb, a '68 Deluxe Reverb, or a '65 Princeton Reverb. There's no sense in beating up one's back, knees, hips, ankles, etc due to output-power hype.
    Can I have an "Amen"? And when you mic it it can go into the monitors and everyone can hear you. I think a Princeton is a fine little club gigging amp. Heck,, I've played some decent sized clubs with a Tiny Terror and a 12" cab.

Chuck

Can I have an "Amen"? And when you mic it it can go into the monitors and everyone can hear you. I think a Princeton is a fine little club gigging amp. Heck,, I've played some decent sized clubs with a Tiny Terror and a 12" cab.

Chuck

I myself never tried a Tiny Terror but many musicians I’ve played with have mentioned it. They all loved it especially with a Tube Screamer

Forum Member

The first "real" band I worked with, (one that paid), I played drums with a popular "Western Swing" local band. In those days, (1966), you weren't a guitar player unless you used a Twin. We did a 4th of July gig, and the lead singer hired a steel and fiddle player for a bigger sound. There were 5 Twins on stage in front of my drums, and the piano player also had a power unit under his Rhodes! The place probably maxed out at 200 people, and the band wasn't loud.
    (We did 3 nights with a 60/40 split with the Sheriffs Posse, and equal split among the musicians, I got $385! My day job paid $50 a week!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    (We did 3 nights with a 60/40 split with the Sheriffs Posse, and equal split among the musicians, I got $385! My day job paid $50 a week!)
    It's all relative, Bill. We may not be rock stars but at least our talents helped buy some comfort during our stay on this rock.

I put a little combo together (guitar, bass, keyboard, drummer, and frontman/vocalist) while attending radar school in Biloxi, Mississippi. I think my buck sergeant's salary back then was about $365/mo. The base had three EM clubs, an NCO club, and an officer's club and we managed to get booked at one of them every weekend for nearly eight months. I left Keesler AFB for my next duty station driving a brand-new-and-paid-for '72 Dodge Demon 340.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    The first "real" band I worked with, (one that paid), I played drums with a popular "Western Swing" local band. In those days, (1966), you weren't a guitar player unless you used a Twin. We did a 4th of July gig, and the lead singer hired a steel and fiddle player for a bigger sound. There were 5 Twins on stage in front of my drums, and the piano player also had a power unit under his Rhodes! The place probably maxed out at 200 people, and the band wasn't loud.
    But you have to remember the Twin was built for one thing: back in those days we all wanted all the clean headroom we could get. So the Twin was made act very linearly and was ( and still is) an amp that can cut the mix even at lower volumes.

Chuck

But you have to remember the Twin was built for one thing: back in those days we all wanted all the clean headroom we could get. So the Twin was made act very linearly and was ( and still is) an amp that can cut the mix even at lower volumes.
    +1

And in that regard the Twin Reverb remains a useful tool. But as organic amp OD and compression came into vogue in many popular music genres it's utility has been eclipsed by smaller, less-powerful platforms especially in this era of smaller venues and hearing-loss consciousness by both audience members and professional musicians.