Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,520 of 1791

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    That's actually quite attractive. Hope it sounds and plays as nice as it looks.

Let's have a full report upon arrival.
    Arrived Monday, unboxed Tuesday. Plugged it in, discovered the one weak Squier quality control issue: the cable jack is on the edge of the body below the knobs, but the jack itself will not hold the cable plug in. The weight of the cable and plug hanging to the floor is enough for the cable to fall out. Of course it's a simple fix, but I'm opting for a slightly better (more permanent) fix. I could loosen it up, slide it out and bend the positive arm to hold it tighter, but I will replace the jack with one of the two arm ones designed for a higher quality connection. Except for two simple solder joints, as simple as the bending solution.

The strings are twangy D'Addario roundwounds, with a touch of fret buzz on the third string when played open. No fret buzz on any other string and none when fretting any position. The tone is classic great Jazz Bass, and the separate tone controls are a great feature. I replaced the strings with flatwounds and the tone and feel are what I seek. Still has the buzz third string open. I've had this before and found either it disappears as the strings stretch or might need another solution.

Switched strap buttons for black Dunlop straplocks... easy, tight, right. Waiting on custom made maple thumbrest... getting both a clear finish (with black screws) and a black finish (maple not plastic). One will suit me better. Was thinking about a black abalone pickguard, but I really like the finish on the stock gold one. The chrome pickguard screws look a bit odd, might replace them with black ones.

The neck looks like a '54 P Bass but other than the 9.5" radius fingerboard, it feels closer to my AVRI '62 J Bass (sans rosewood fingerboard).

Next up, breaking in the new strings, then a clean setup for intonation and string height. Once the cable jack is replaced, set by set swapping it with the '62 in gigs... see of anyone notices any difference beyond colors.

Best price I paid for a bass since my 1966 Mustang Bass!
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by VibroCount View Post
    Arrived Monday, unboxed Tuesday. Plugged it in, discovered the one weak Squier quality control issue: the cable jack is on the edge of the body below the knobs, but the jack itself will not hold the cable plug in. The weight of the cable and plug hanging to the floor is enough for the cable to fall out. Of course it's a simple fix, but I'm opting for a slightly better (more permanent) fix. I could loosen it up, slide it out and bend the positive arm to hold it tighter, but I will replace the jack with one of the two arm ones designed for a higher quality connection. Except for two simple solder joints, as simple as the bending solution.

The strings are twangy D'Addario roundwounds, with a touch of fret buzz on the third string when played open. No fret buzz on any other string and none when fretting any position. The tone is classic great Jazz Bass, and the separate tone controls are a great feature. I replaced the strings with flatwounds and the tone and feel are what I seek. Still has the buzz third string open. I've had this before and found either it disappears as the strings stretch or might need another solution.

Switched strap buttons for black Dunlop straplocks... easy, tight, right. Waiting on custom made maple thumbrest... getting both a clear finish (with black screws) and a black finish (maple not plastic). One will suit me better. Was thinking about a black abalone pickguard, but I really like the finish on the stock gold one. The chrome pickguard screws look a bit odd, might replace them with black ones.

The neck looks like a '54 P Bass but other than the 9.5" radius fingerboard, it feels closer to my AVRI '62 J Bass (sans rosewood fingerboard).

Next up, breaking in the new strings, then a clean setup for intonation and string height. Once the cable jack is replaced, set by set swapping it with the '62 in gigs... see of anyone notices any difference beyond colors.

Best price I paid for a bass since my 1966 Mustang Bass!
    sounds like the 4th fret is a little proud on the low E side. Have you checked ? Easily remedied.
    Mark

I received a used Callaham bridge for my $400 American Standard Tele. It's beautifully made, works well, sounds great, but is oddly proportioned due to the requirements of the American Standard. It replaces the Fender Fishman Powerbridge that was on it (which replaced a humbucker bridge, which replaced the original bridge- both long gone).

I sold the Duncan Hot Rails bridge pickup and Behringer OD pedal that came with the guitar. I'll also sell the Fender Fishman Powerbridge and the Fender red label hard case that came with it.

Regarding the exposed routing around the bridge, I have no plans to repair that. It won't improve the performance of the guitar. I'll leave it as scars showing that the guitar is a survivor.

I've used this guitar at a jam session and it performed very well.

Purchased and on its way:
    A dedicated bass rig for gigs.
    Sansamp Bass Fly Rig v2
    2 Dunlop x pedals
    Matthews Astronomer 2 pedal
    Temple Audio board to load it on

1 Dunlop x for vol. the other to control parameters on the Astronomer.

Tired of either lugging my Fractal system or relying on the dodgy house DI box

total weight of the completed board based system should be 10lbs or less.

the Fractal rack and board is a full trip to itself for load in/out. This new rig I should be able to handle with my bass and backpack.

Will probably sell my Hartkey bass amp that I woodshed with and purchase another FRFR for upstairs. That’s always been the plan. Just executing on it sooner. Later I will duplicate my Fractal rig and sell the Mesa.
    Mark

Stewart Macdonald was having a sale on mini-guitar kits last weekend.
    The kiddo has been talking about wanting to play guitar, but mine are too big for him, so I grabbed one for him.
    Came in yesterday, and at first glance it's a pretty nice little machine for the price. It needs some work, mostly finishing and assembly, but that's no biggie.
    Some time over the next few weeks I'll be gathering the stuff needed and start getting to work on it.
    I also grabbed one of their BYO kits, the Two Kings, appears to be a clone of the AnalogMan King of Tone.
    I was reading the instructions last night and it seems pretty straightforward to build. Also be slowly getting to work on that in the next few.
    It's a bare metal enclosure, so I'm thinking on ideas how to finish that.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

I had a 1/2 size guitar that survived my grand kids, and found out my nieces daughter was getting lessons from my sister in law, but having trouble with a real guitar. I cleaned it up and restrung it, and "loaned" it to her. Got to see her and my sister in law on a phone video, and sounds like the kids got a decent voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I had a 1/2 size guitar that survived my grand kids, and found out my nieces daughter was getting lessons from my sister in law, but having trouble with a real guitar. I cleaned it up and restrung it, and "loaned" it to her. Got to see her and my sister in law on a phone video, and sounds like the kids got a decent voice!
    I have a cousin who was learning guitar (this was 20+ years ago), and she ended up at the time with a Martin Backpacker. She's been singing with Trans-Siberian Orchestra for the past 10+ years and was a backup singer for Cher her last tour, so I guess she's doing OK with the vocals.

A few days over 48 hours but a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Historic R7 Goldtop.

I would post photos if I knew how?
    Guitars:
    1979 Gibson The Paul
    1997 Gibson Les Paul Custom 57 RI
    2000 Fender American Series Stratocaster
    2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio -Coppertop
    2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Historic R7

Amps:
    1971 Fender Pro Reverb
    1973 Marshall JMP 1987
    2015 Marshall Astoria Classic
    2017 Supro Black Magick

just got the Rickenbacker’s replacement strap button in place:

Not really guitar related but music related: a handmade vinyl cover for my radio set. Not a Victoria but still…

a few months ago, I put my name on the email list for the next release of Paul Cochrane's Tim V.3 The email arrived Wednesday, same day I finally got a 5-star rating from my ersatz buyer with the 'disappeared from UPS' guitar. I pulled the trigger as I was really curious as to what these were about. It arrived yesterday (saturday) and I tried it today while my brother was out.

When people speak of transparency in a pedal, they must be thinking about these. This is also the first time I've ever heard of a pedal with its own effects loop. An effect pedal with an effect loop for other effect pedals? Makes me wish I had something time based to try in it.

I did read that these take a bit of dialing in, and it's got a fairly busy (for a person used to 3 knobs) top. I also didn't do any EQ at the amp, my FSR Princeton Reverb, nor did I try any other guitars except for the one I have out as I prepare to sell it. I need to try it with a Tele and a Les Paul, and probably with a Marshall amp as well.

For me, the only real downside is it is yet another pedal with no internal battery compartment. I don't do pedal boards (yet) and vastly prefer batteries to power plugs. The only cables on the floor that I want are instrument cables. I'm weird that way.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Grabbed an MXR ISO Brick power supply. Now playing with pedal order:

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Grabbed an MXR ISO Brick power supply. Now playing with pedal order:
    Tell me more! One reason I don't play more with my pedal board is the jumble of wires and power supplies needed to enable them all. I have a Behringer PB600, which has a 9v power input and DC power output to up to six pedals/devices. But there isn't a specifications as to milliamps or other power conditioning. I also feel constrained at times to the physical dimensions of the box (it's handy to fold up and carry, but on the floor, meh.).
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Tell me more! One reason I don't play more with my pedal board is the jumble of wires and power supplies needed to enable them all. I have a Behringer PB600, which has a 9v power input and DC power output to up to six pedals/devices. But there isn't a specifications as to milliamps or other power conditioning. I also feel constrained at times to the physical dimensions of the box (it's handy to fold up and carry, but on the floor, meh.).
    I picked this one because the ports are fully isolated outputs ranging from 9V to 18V—including two variable 6V–15V outputs with noise-reduction built in.

I plan to get a pedal board that has a raised side to it and mount it underneath where I can do cable management out of sight.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Last one! I promise!!! (it came early)

-Edmund Burke

Shorter Whammy Bar

I bought a non-functioning Pignose G40V tube amp for $35 last night. Picking it up required a white knuckle drive to Cape Cod in a crazy storm (one of the dumber things I've done- I would've waited if I had known that the weather was that bad).

I found that it had a 6L6 power tube with a broken guitar pin. After carefully bringing it up on my Variac without tubes, then installing the tubes correctly and starting it on a current limiter, the amp works just fine! It actually sounds good! It smells like a Cape Cod basement, though!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

A worthy score!

You might try disassembling the amp and sprinkling some baking soda inside the cabinet to flush out the odor. Might take a couple of tries for success.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Outta sight!

My first two amps were Pignose, and I still have them! The 7-100 sits right near my new Positive Grid Spark MINI. The 150-R Crossmix is in my garage, gathering dust.

Striving to be ordinary

No buys but 2 trades over Monday and Tuesday. 2 out 4 in.

outs: Lakland 55-02 Ltd Ed and Gretsch White Falcon
    ins: Squier 40th anniversary Jazz, CV60s Jazz, MM Sterling Stingray, Gretsch 6xxx Setzer Hot Rod

Almost done setting up the new bass rig as well.
    Mark

A worthy score!

You might try disassembling the amp and sprinkling some baking soda inside the cabinet to flush out the odor. Might take a couple of tries for success.
    I'll do that! Thanks!

As excited as I am about the G40V, I missed out on a non-functioning Fender "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb for $200 the previous day. That amp was sold on Monday and showed up on CL on Tuesday, "repaired".

Outta sight!

My first two amps were Pignose, and I still have them! The 7-100 sits right near my new Positive Grid Spark MINI. The 150-R Crossmix is in my garage, gathering dust.

My first "real-ish" amp was a Pignose 30/60 solid state amp back in 1981. It's coloring and proportions were very similar to the G40V. I blew it up within a year while jamming with the band that I was in. It was never quite loud enough and I pushed it and pushed it... I replaced it with an almost ne Fender Concert II 4x10 combo.

technically I bought it almost a month ago, brought it home yesterday. Played it last night. Good lord, I forgotten how good a 4x10 fender combo sounds.

came with the cover

And I trust your chiropractor is on speed dial?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    And I trust your chiropractor is on speed dial?
    Memorized and saved on the phone as a one button push

Whoever replaced that grill cloth gets an "E/F"......for 'epic fail'.

Whoever replaced that grill cloth gets an "E/F"......for 'epic fail'.
    yeah, I know. There's a guy in town who builds cabinets, wonder what he'd charge to redo that grill cloth. Plus I want to ask him about a matching 4x10 extension cab. I suspect that the amp had a major cleanup at one point, it smells like some sort of cleaner that stinks like Fabreeze. I'm thinking of getting a mattress bag (moving supply type) and putting the amp in it with lots of crumpled newspaper and leave it in there for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Plus I want to ask him about a matching 4x10 extension cab.
    Sixty watts through eight 10's to play in a basement???

You've got to be kidding!

Sixty watts through eight 10's to play in a basement???

You've got to be kidding!

Sure, why not ?

Not in the past 48 hours, but within the past three weeks!

yeah, I know. There's a guy in town who builds cabinets, wonder what he'd charge to redo that grill cloth. Plus I want to ask him about a matching 4x10 extension cab. I suspect that the amp had a major cleanup at one point, it smells like some sort of cleaner that stinks like Fabreeze. I'm thinking of getting a mattress bag (moving supply type) and putting the amp in it with lots of crumpled newspaper and leave it in there for a few weeks.
    I think I've seen him on Craigslist a few times. He does a lot of tweed repro cabs, right?
    I have an idea for an amp |I'd like to build (kit, most likely) and was thinking about using him for the cab.
    Have you seen his work? How is he to work with?

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I think I've seen him on Craigslist a few times. He does a lot of tweed repro cabs, right?
    I have an idea for an amp |I'd like to build (kit, most likely) and was thinking about using him for the cab.
    Have you seen his work? How is he to work with?
    The cab I selected for my 5E3 tweed Deluxe clone came from a fellow up in New Hampshire......might be the same guy. Best repro tweed enclosure I've ever seen.

Some inexpensive wireless units.

A new Telecaster. See my post in the Telecaster section.
    Striving to be ordinary

I picked up a (used) Hudson Broadcast yesterday at the Arlington Guitar Show:

The reviews describe it as a cross between an RCA recording desk pre-amp and a Dallas Rangemaster boost pedal. In any case, I plugged it into the Strymon Iridium last night, plugged in my 2000 R9 Les Paul, and it sounded awesome (once I worked out the controls and the jack input/output order. 😵*)

Quote Originally Posted by xxStonr View Post
    Some inexpensive wireless units.

I’m very curious about these modern ones, do they get the job done well?

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    I’m very curious about these modern ones, do they get the job done well?
    I have the XVive U2 wireless pair and I'm very happy with them. They charge via USB and provide hours of usage. The channel on which they broadcast can be set (make sure you sync them both to the same channel) in case there's frequency interference. Saves me a lot of cable wrangling.
    Striving to be ordinary

I have the XVive U2 wireless pair and I'm very happy with them. They charge via USB and provide hours of usage. The channel on which they broadcast can be set (make sure you sync them both to the same channel) in case there's frequency interference. Saves me a lot of cable wrangling.

I was thinking specifically about those!

I got a EWS Brute Drive. Didn’t know this brand, and was positively surprised. Very articulate drive and an integrated mid booster

What's the range on those? Can they work between rooms/floors?

What's the range on those? Can they work between rooms/floors?
    The published range is about 70'. I suspect walls and ceilings might be a blocking factor. They broadcast on a 2.4GHz spectrum, so they're very much like your home wi-fi.
    Striving to be ordinary