Thread: So, when was the last time you developed?

So, when was the last time you developed?

I just read a book called The Heavy Guitar Bible since I figured I might - just might - be able to learn something new. BANG. A host of nice theory to fill gaps! I thought I had problems, but what I had was small pieces of solutions. And I haven't really read the whole thing yet!

Funny thing - I always grow musically in small jumps.

Scales have recently begun to make a little sense to me. Just a little..
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Hey you ought to find a copy of that book! The first chapters are stupid, but the scales stuff are good! The pentatonic is the starting point, and then relative scales, minor chords and all that. I never really had a grib on minor chords! 'Coz I can play them, but why? What I need now is than darned Zoom PS-04 4 track gizmo I more or less decided on, to try out some of the ideas on two guitars.

No. Just checked your homepage! I dunno if you can pick up any theory from that book - but I can. Interesting read, by the way.

For the past three years I have been getting waaaaaaaaaaay on into blues. I have put my theory aside and started playing things just because they sound right. Of course, upon examining what "sounds right", it all comes right out of basic music theory anyway, but this different approach has brought me to new places. Now, the sound is what is more important, not the scale I'm playout of. But before everyone gets all excited and starts burning their Mel Bay books in the street you all have to understand one thing. There is NO REPLACEMENT for a good understanding of music. If you don't understand what you're playing at least on a basic level, then it will sound like you don't understand what you're playing. yeah yeah yeah, there are one or two rare exceptions, there always are, but don't kid yourselves, you're not THEM.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Hey, are you guys talkin' to me?

ARE YOU TALKIN' TO ME???????
    ARE YOU TALKIN' TO ME??????

You're right, of course. I hate to hear players playin' scales and calling it improvisation.......but I love to hear someone improvise that has the background knowledge of scales and also the heart to play music without it sounding like regurgitating the ABCs.

mgade, i appreciate you taking the time to get to know me a little better. Buying the book wouldn't help me that much.....unless someone stands over me :whip I'm pretty hard headed.

They call it A D D now......when I was a kid they just called it being a

:rolleyes:

I've been playing for 25 years now and still learn new things all the time.

There have definitely been stagnant times, but it's near constant development.

When I was 15 I took up the guitar to learn to play the blues.
    My friends said I'd get bored, but that has been my focus for the past quarter of a century.

Either I'm really slow or there's a lot more to the blues than I expected!

I bought The Heavy Guitar Bible at least 20 years ago. I still occasionally pull it out along with the same author's Jimi Hendrix book. They're not entirely accurate, but Daniels made a lot of concepts very accessible.

i've been working a lot lately on song construction. i write a lot of songs and am now going back and working out arrangements that make the song work. it is amazing what this will do. playin and technique wise i haven't really been working on that cause for right now i'm pretty happy with my playing. i have also been applying some things i've been learning at school in choir to my songs. it is amazing what analyzing the greats will do for you.

bob is right, learn some theory, learn some scales, and learn some chord progressions. however little it may be at least it is something. which is better than nothing.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Originally posted by Tele-Bob
    For the past three years I have been getting waaaaaaaaaaay on into blues. I have put my theory aside and started playing things just because they sound right.
    Sounds like me. Except those few parts of theory were easyli shoved aside! I've been perfectly digging the blues for about three years as well. Perhaps a little more. Funny how you gets to differentiate - there Blues you like and blues you don't. Many people - for instance - hails BB King, as I used to. Now I just don't get turned on by that style. I need more "dirt".

Originally posted by moonpie
    mgade, i appreciate you taking the time to get to know me a little better.
    That's the fine thing about a place like this. I like reading your postings, so I want to know more about you. I think I could easily spend long hours listening to you! And play some geetar!

Originally posted by Don
    I've been playing for 25 years now and still learn new things all the time.
    That was the GOOD news!

Originally posted by Don
    I bought The Heavy Guitar Bible at least 20 years ago.
    Those are frightening! 20 years behind!

Originally posted by chuckocaster
    i've been working a lot lately on song construction. i write a lot of songs and am now going back and working out arrangements that make the song work. it is amazing what this will do. playin and technique wise i haven't really been working on that cause for right now i'm pretty happy with my playing. i have also been applying some things i've been learning at school in choir to my songs. it is amazing what analyzing the greats will do for you.

bob is right, learn some theory, learn some scales, and learn some chord progressions. however little it may be at least it is something. which is better than nothing.
    I believe you are right chucko. I also think that the ability to incorporate a little of everything you come across is a gift. I just hope I find the time to test out my brand new knowledge on this 4-track gizmo I'm after these days.

Then I'll blow ya all out of the water *lol*

Noo, seriously - just wanna ROCK!!

I've just recently gotten comfortable playing with a capo.

fezz parka

So, when was the last time you developed?

I stopped growing at around 14 or 15. The rest of the development was mostly hair. :tw59

On the guitar, development never stops. I learn or do something new everytime I pick it up. I really do love the old guit fiddle!

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    I develop all the time. Just this last January, i started playing guitar in the rhythm section of a big band jazz band. It's been pretty hard, but it's been alot of fun, too. And, I've had to really bone up on my chords and inversions. :wail2

Started talking bass lessons from this guy - the second photo down about a 5 weeks ago. The dudes the real shit.:yay He gives me a lot of stuff to work on (reading, scales, triads, inverted triads, II V I and on and on and on) but he always says that ain't what he wants to teach me. What he wants to teach me is the thing that happens with those tools. :nelson

Old Tele man
    I, too, play with a "capo," my INDEX-finger laying across all six strings!

Allows me to 'finger' and play C, Am, F & G style chords in any key (ie: Eb, Cm, Ab & Bb)...

...and "House of the Rising Sun" arpeggiates VERY well like this:

barred Am chord at fret 5...
    barred C chord (G-shape) off fret 8...
    barred D chord at fret 5...
    barred F chord at fret 5...
    etc....
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 04-02-2004 at 10:32 PM.

Forum Member

Re: So, when was the last time you developed?

Originally posted by mgade
    I just read a book called The Heavy Guitar Bible since I figured I might - just might - be able to learn something new. BANG. A host of nice theory to fill gaps! I thought I had problems, but what I had was small pieces of solutions. And I haven't really read the whole thing yet!

Heavy guitar sucks ass. It has no value.

Re: Re: So, when was the last time you developed?

Originally posted by pbradt
    Heavy guitar sucks ass. It has no value.

Well, there you go. That's that then.

Jees, pbradt, If you have some input that may be provide better guidance could you post it along with your remarks?

Otherwise the remarks made are kinda insulting to those who are at that stage in their playing where these books are of value.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks.

Last edited by lyles; 04-04-2004 at 02:44 PM.
    DAMMIT !!!! I left the house........

New Book Is Great

There is someone in this forum (I think) that has a new book that's really good. A friend of mine at church has a copy and now plays in a Blues - Rock band on weekends and leads the youth band (Christian Pop) at church, using the info from what he learned. Kinda funny that the "bible" may be more than the original text.

I'll get the name of the book if anyone is interested.

Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: So, when was the last time you developed?

Originally posted by lyles
    Jees, pbradt, If you have some input that may be provide better guidance could you post it along with your remarks?

Otherwise the remarks made are kinda insulting to those who are at that stage in their playing where these books are of value.
    Hey, that's Pete's bag, man. Nothing but insults and personal attacks.

Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: So, when was the last time you developed?

Originally posted by Sven
    Hey, that's Pete's bag, man. Nothing but insults and personal attacks.
    Last edited by pbradt; 04-04-2004 at 09:27 PM.

Forum Member
    ...and there's some proof in case anyone doubted me.

So I see.

Hmm, That's too bad. From what I hear on his web site and from other threads he's a damn good player and could bring some good input and help to these threads. Oh well, carry on.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by lyles
    So I see.

Hmm, That's too bad. From what I hear on his web site and from other threads he's a damn good player and could bring some good input and help to these threads. Oh well, carry on.
    See my reply to Sven in the "I feel like a dumbass" thread.

Old Tele man
    re: "...I've been playing for 25 years now and still learn new things all the time."

I've been playing for 45+ years and there're TWO things I've learned:

1) ...I don't know EVERY-thing (or was that ANY-thing?), and...

2) ...there'll ALWAYS be somebody BETTER!
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 04-06-2004 at 06:47 PM.

When I worked for the USPS I developed a bad attitude.

Pbradt is a good player, just very opinionated. But as you know, opinions are subject to personal opinion.

To a degree, all opinions have some merit to them; you just have to get past the delivery to the actual content.

But they can also be worth a lot or nothing at all, depending on how the listener wants to view them.

As far as learning new things, I’ve learned a lot from the TFF jams. The main thing I've learned from them so far is timing. Some were slower than I like to play, but I learned to fit into them. This has helped me immensely.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Originally posted by moonpie
    When I worked for the USPS I developed a bad attitude.
    I hope you never went "Postal".....
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I think that was a clever post, photo - having reached the same conclusion. This was one occasion where "count 10" has helped me keep me wits! Except I actually counted 315.010 this time.

Originally posted by photoweborama
    Pbradt is a good player, just very opinionated. But as you know, opinions are subject to personal opinion.

To a degree, all opinions have some merit to them; you just have to get past the delivery to the actual content.

But they can also be worth a lot or nothing at all, depending on how the listener wants to view them.

As far as learning new things, I’ve learned a lot from the TFF jams. The main thing I've learned from them so far is timing. Some were slower than I like to play, but I learned to fit into them. This has helped me immensely.
    That is - this one :tw59

Originally posted by Old Tele man
    I, too, play with a "capo," my INDEX-finger laying across all six strings!

Allows me to 'finger' and play C, Am, F & G style chords in any key (ie: Eb, Cm, Ab & Bb)...

...and "House of the Rising Sun" arpeggiates VERY well like this:

barred Am chord at fret 5...
    barred C chord (G-shape) off fret 8...
    barred D chord at fret 5...
    barred F chord at fret 5...
    etc....
    I tried this, and I broke my arm

Originally posted by pbradt
    See my reply to Sven in the "I feel like a dumbass" thread.

:yay

Originally posted by photoweborama
    I hope you never went "Postal".....

Guilty as charged......I hit a supervisor (I use the term very generously) with some mail.
    That was kind of the final straw..............they made me feel unwelcome after that. Actually, they put it in writing that I was unwelcome.

Today begins my third year of retirement.

Re: So, when was the last time you developed?

Originally posted by mgade
    Not funny at all! Everything you learn throughout your life is in small jumps. I used to call it the Plateau Theory when talking to my students. In simple terms, you'll begin to learn something (let's say guitar...for no particular reason :tw59 ). After a while, you level off and kind of get stuck on a plateau. This is a point where a lot of people will put the guitar in the closet. But if you keep at it, one day something happens and you start climbing the hill again. The next hill is shorter because the learning is more difficult, you reach another plateau and level off again. This continues forever, eventually you start uphill again, and so on. I can imagine Andres Segovia's hills were fairly short with a few long-assed plateaus!

What is strange is how you can struggle for a long while, then something just pops. Maybe a friend makes a point about theory, or like you, a book is read, and all of a sudden a hundred different things fall into place.

And when you realize it, and it all clicks, man, what a feeling! Serendipity defined!
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

I get it - so much the more as I always had that plateau perception my self!

I have a vivid memory of the first time I had a go on the pentatonic minor - or something similiar. The BIGGEST egoburst ever! The other boys in da band was equally blown to pieces, so much, that I am in fact still living on the reputation of the greatest guitarslinger in the world. OR could that be the fever creeping in?(I have the flu - am getting better)