Thread: locking tuner ????

stxrus

locking tuner ????

my music buddy, Dee, bought a tele a couple of weeks ago. it has the original tuners replaced with the Fender/Schaller standard locking tuners with the knurled nut. she left a cryptic message on my cell phone that she tried to replace the strings and is having some sort of problem with the tuners. while being a pretty good guitar player she is not very mechanical.

we get together on thursdays to play. my question is what is the procedure for restringing these tuners. i have not spent any time with this tele so i am at a loss. also, i am not familliar with these particular ones.

help!! any help will be greatly appreciated.

steve

also, now i am getting a bad case of GAS for a tele. not good! not good!

My Reverend Rocco has locking tuners. What sort of problem is your friend having?

Here's my proceures (Keeping in mind I take all the strings off at once):

1. Slacken all the strings.

2. Loosen all 6 locking mechanisms.

3. Remove all strings.

4. Re-string starting with the low E. Basically, you feed the string through the hole in the tuning peg, then tighten the locking mechanism which clamps down on the string inside the tuning peg. With the locking tuners, you don't need many wraps. I try to keep it under one full wrap on the wound strings and around 3 or so wraps for the unwound. I could probably get away with less wraps on the unwound strings with the locking tuners, but I'm always wary of slippage.

5. Stretch strings & tune to pitch.

stxrus
    Originally posted by SRVDciple
    My Reverend Rocco has locking tuners. What sort of problem is your friend having?
    SRVDciple
    don't know. the message was cryptic. she may not even know how to verbalize the problem. this is her 1st electric and the learning curve is WAY STEEP at this point.

thanks for your procedure. the locking mechanisms must be loosened to remove the old string, obviouslly, but to retighten how tight should they be? also, do these cut the string?

steve
    guitar tech by default

I snug em down pretty good to make sure they don't slip. As I said, I try to get away with as few wraps as possible, especially on the wound strings. This helps you stay in tune when using the vibrato bar (btw - my Rocco also has a Bigsby type bridge).

As far as cutting the strings, you'll still have to do it the old fashioned way ...with cutters. The tuners don't do it for you.

stxrus
    thanks again for the help. this tele is just a common hardtail. i think a 2001 Am Std. has the 6 pole bridge and the deltatone (?) pups. nice tobacco burst finish w/ maple neck.
    i guess i'll find out on thursday. hopefully she didn't somehow unthread something. but knowing Dee anything is possible.
    steve

FYI, here are my E and A at the pegs. Notice they're only wrapped 1/2 a turn, this IMO is the beauty of locking tuners:

So as not to be a tease, here's the rest:

stxrus
    sweeeeeeet.
    i've been jonesin for a tele for a while now. a nashville with a bigsby is my current fantasy. but i gotta have eye surgery next month and all my $$$ is going to that.
    oh, well. i guess dreams are not all that bad , damnit!!
    steve

[/B][/QUOTE]

who makes this guitar? I have been looking everywhere for them

I believe that's a Reverend guitar.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

This is from a Fender owner's manual:

Thread the strings through in this manner:
    Starting with the sixth string, thread the string through the eyelet at the 5 o'clock position. Run the fifth string through the eyelet from the 4 oclock position. The fourth and third strings at the 3 oclock position, and the second string at the 2 oclock position and the first string at the 1 oclock position.

Also, make sure and loosen the strings before loosening the thumbscrew when changing strings.

Not all tuners work like this. I have Gotohs on my MIJ Strat. With those, you pull through in a straight line from the bridge through the key.

Neither the Gotohs nor the American lockers require a complete wrap around the post, and neither cut the string for you.

I suspect the problem she's having is running the string straight through and then tightening the thumbscrew. You can see where it would take a lot less tension on the screw if there is a bend before you lock it down.
    Last edited by moonpie; 03-16-2004 at 07:23 AM.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Originally posted by Tele-Bob
    I believe that's a Reverend guitar.
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but yes, it is a Reverend. A Reverend Rocco to be specific.

I'm not sure if it's cool to post a link to their website in this forum or not, but I'll oblige anyway.

Mods, if this is bad form, feel free to delete at will :nelson
    (Or let me know, and I'll do the honors)

Reverend