Thread: The tweed circuits are a lot warmer than the blackface circuits, right??

Forum Member

The tweed circuits are a lot warmer than the blackface circuits, right??

The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be building an amp. It will have the power section of the 5F4 Tweed Super and the preamp section of the 5F6-a Tweed Bassman. The natural choice for speakers is 10's, because both amps used 10's. I want a 2X10 for volume and portability reasons instead of a 4X10 (and a 35W 2X10 will still be freaking loud; if not, I'll mike it).

I don't want a blackface Vibrolux bright tone (ala Roy Buchannan, even though I'm a HUGE fan of Buch). I'm thinking this Super/Bassman hybrid will give me plenty of lows because I'm thinking the Tweed circuit is warmer than the blackface. I still want hice highs, though. Brighter rather than darker.

I will be playing rock, country, and (attempt to) play blues, so I want enough low end to give me a nice rock/rockabilly sound.

The 2 speaker combos I'm agruing over are 2 Weber 10F150T's (basically his C10N with a Q cone) or one Weber 10F150 (C10N) and one 10F150T's.

I know the tweeds used alnico speakers, but I'm afraid that alnico speakers will cause the amp to compress too much when playing cranked for higher-gain Aerosmith and Zeppelin stuff, etc... Hence the ceramic.

I'm not talking super-metal high gain. I'm just talking classic Marshall/Tweed Bassman style gain, BTW.

i wouldn't neccesarily say warmer, but i would say that they have a different harmonic content. and i also wouldn't worry about putting in alnico's. i use them with my 68 bassman because they compress.

most of the tones you listed were recorded and performed with alnico speakers. the trick is to get some that when hooked together will be of a higher value than the output of the amp. that way they don't compress as much, but will retain the alnico sound.

and 35 watts will be plenty loud. i wish my bassman was 35 watts, then i could actually turn it up inside and not kill myself or my band. cool idea about the amp! let us know how it turns out.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member
    Thanks, chuck (I sound like peppermint patty). I plan on taking pictures and documenting the build.

Another idea I had was to build it as a 1X12 (with a 12A150W)and use my 1X12 champ as an extension cab, and wire it up with selectable ohmage taps to use it as a 2X12.

What I'll probably end up doing is using one Weber 10A150 and one 10A125. About 80W of speakers. Using 2 $145 speakers is a bit much for me. One $145 and one $85 is much more doable. That way I'll have a 35W half bassman.

I will also be able to use 6V6's and a 5Y3 or 5V4 rectifier with it to be about 15W for small bars and such.
    Last edited by dafack01; 03-22-2004 at 03:23 PM.

I always compare tweed vs. BF the same way as I try to explain a radio and a good high-fi stereo: The Hi-Fi is more precise in replication the music. A tweed amp to my ears is gritty when pushed, but in a glorious way. Great for riffing and soloing, but if I want to hear every note, I go with a BF amp.
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City