Thread: Fav Modern Strat Players???

Fav Modern Strat Players???

Ok, to keep it going 1,002 votes for Jimi, i thought i'd limit our choices to guys from 1980 to today. that's about "modern" times, no? at any rate, my picks are:

Robert Cray - made me a believer of position 2 as a "blues" tone. his phrasing is always fresh and original. and you've yet to hear amazing tone, until you've heard his dual Clubman 35 / 4x10 setup.

Doyle Bramhall II - ok, he's a near SRV clone like many guys, but still, he's not a bad song writer considering he wrote for the likes of Clapton, Allman's, Sheryl Crow, etc... also, his album, Welcome, has some choice tones.

Clapton

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Has Audley Freed ever played a strat? Rich Robinson? Marc Ford? I think these are the best from your time frame. Lenny and his lead guitar player are damn good as well.
    The man with magic hands.

Mike Mcready (is that how you spell it?) from Pearl Jam......He has some nice vintage strats and has awesome tone...............

Bramhall 2

Bramhall is great, I don`t think he`s just a SRV clone just because he new SRV and plays a similar style of music. They both come (or came) from Texas, Bramhalls father played a lot with SRV, isn`t it clear that you find elements of SRVs music in Bramhall`s songs?

BTW was SRV a Hendrix clone?

I love Jellycream and also Welcome is an amazing CD.
    :nelson
    Achim

mark knopfler
    You can never have too
    much music in your life.

My current fav modern Stratplayers:

1. Walter Trout

2. Kenny Wayne Shepherd

3. Mato Nanji

4. me ;-)

cu
    bluesfreak

Originally posted by Tonebender
    Mike Mcready (is that how you spell it?) from Pearl Jam......He has some nice vintage strats and has awesome tone...............
    ya know, i really tried to give Mike a chance, but he doesnt do it for me. dunno what it is, but his lines arent as inspired as they used to be. he does have some choice gear tho.

Originally posted by jokerjkny

ya know, i really tried to give Mike a chance, but he doesnt do it for me. dunno what it is, but his lines arent as inspired as they used to be. he does have some choice gear tho.
    I can't really agree or disagree with you because I haven't heard any of Pearl Jam's newer stuff. On their first two albums, I think Mike played really well. His style seems much more original than a lot of other popular strat players these days...............:tw59

Forum Member
    Tommy Castro tears up a 66 Strat through a 65 Super Reverb! Rock on Tommy...............

Forum Member
    BluesFreak, I have a Walter Trout DVD and he aint bad but seems be incorporating some of the same leads in alot of his songs. Too much of the same sound for me. Of course, I have never heard him other than the DVD so what the hell do I know. I am very interested in Bramhall though. Anything close to SRV draws my attention. Any recommendations?

Forum Member
    Buddy Whittington
    Ronnie Earl

Originally posted by OLYENGINEER
    BluesFreak, I have a Walter Trout DVD and he aint bad but seems be incorporating some of the same leads in alot of his songs. Too much of the same sound for me. Of course, I have never heard him other than the DVD so what the hell do I know. I am very interested in Bramhall though. Anything close to SRV draws my attention. Any recommendations?
    Agree, sometimes he repeats himself fairly often, especially when he plays live. But it depends also on the audience, I´ve seen him playing his set and vanishing because the audience did not respond the way he liked it and the next time he tears his heart out and brings the whole place down b/c he gets the feedback he wants.
    Think you got the "Ohne Filter" DVD. I do not like this one, it does not reflect Walters abilities very well.
    Try to get the "Live in the Jungle" CD which has been recently released in the US. That´s Walter the way I know and like.
    If you are searching for SRV Style I would recommend KWS, Wes Jeans, Peer Gynt, probably Chris Vachon too (Roomful of Blues).
    Also Aynsley Lister is a good recommendation, you can clearly hear some Hendrix, SRV and Buddy Guy inspiration when he´s playing....

cu
    bluesfreak :smokin

Originally posted by Tonebender

I can't really agree or disagree with you because I haven't heard any of Pearl Jam's newer stuff. On their first two albums, I think Mike played really well. His style seems much more original than a lot of other popular strat players these days...............:tw59
    oh yea, i love his lines on Ten and Vs., but i read that Rick Parashar cut and paste alot of Mike's leads on Ten. a terrible example of studio stuff is No Code. my fav PJ album, but Mike sound stiff, and needs to relax a bit...

also, take a listen to any of the authorized pearl jam "boots" that they issued of their last concert season. Mike just aint gettin' "it". must be the fact he's kicked the smoking habit. ;)
    Last edited by jokerjkny; 08-18-2002 at 11:07 PM.

Forum Member
    I disagree with the comments about Mike McCready not 'gettin it'. Take a listen to his solos on Evenflow from those boots.
    Most players are listed already: Audley Freed, Marc Ford, Doyle Bramhall II, Mike McCready, and how bout SRV.

Yngwie Johann Malmsteen

In no particular rank or order,

Phil Keaggy, Bob Hartman, Clapton, Gilmoure, SRV and Mark Knopfler.
    Aaron
    Alias: Fat Dog Lee
    Play it like ya mean it.
    http://www.groups.msn.com/aaronsclub

Forum Member
    Current players would be.....

Robert Cray
    Walter Trout
    Tommy Castro

Another vote for Ronnie Earl and Audley Freed.

Robert Cray ain't too shabby either!
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

David Gilmour
    King Britt

Michael Burks. You have to see him live. Known for flying v's, but can tear it up on a strat.

Originally posted by jokerjkny

oh yea, i love his lines on Ten and Vs., but i read that Rick Parashar cut and paste alot of Mike's leads on Ten. a terrible example of studio stuff is No Code. my fav PJ album, but Mike sound stiff, and needs to relax a bit...

also, take a listen to any of the authorized pearl jam "boots" that they issued of their last concert season. Mike just aint gettin' "it". must be the fact he's kicked the smoking habit. ;)
    That's a shame its not really Mike choosing his own leads on the first album........I saw that Pearl Jam special special that was cuts from their live DVD and I think they played well. Mike's multi-amp setup sounded awesome........