Thread: Carvin Amps (small)

Carvin Amps (small)

With all the talk about small amps around here lately, is anyone familiar with any Carvins, such as the Carvin Vintage 16? I'm just curious as to the quality of this one. Supposedly, this "all tube" amp features 16 watts from two EL84's and is switchable from its normal Pentode to "Triode" operation delivering 5 watts. It also utilizes 3 12AX7 tubes. The Vintage 16 features Volume, Soak, bass, mid, treble and reverb (Accutronics tank).

I've heard good things about them, but after my experience with Carvin quality I'm staying away. Not that all brands don't have a problem here or there, but shipping it cross-country for repairs doesn't thrill me after the last time.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

The only problem with Carvin is that you can't try their stuff out first unless you happen to live near thier store in Hollywood (I'm about 20 minutes away:)). I've never played that amp (The Vintage 16) but I can say I've had an old X60-B head for a few years now and I have never had any problems.

I haven't tried that specific amp, but have played through others in the Carvin Vintage series, and I like them a lot. They're a lot loke the Peavey Tweeds, IMO.

i like the small peaveys better. the carvin's overtones don't sound natural to my ears. the top end is a little to bright for my tastes. they sound pretty good though. i would recomend a speaker swap too cause i'm on my fourth set of carvin speakers in my carvin bass amp.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Yo Chuck-
    I have to agree, seems like Carvin's speakers pretty much suck. An upgrade is almost mandatory.

Hey Chuckocaster...how do you like your Carvin bass head, and which model do you have?? I dropped by my local Carvin outlet store the other day just for the heck of it -- tried out their basses and amps. Didn't like their basses at all, but their amps weren't bad...

BlueFrogs, are you in the San Fernando Valley area?? If so there is (or maybe was) a Carvin outlet store somewhere in that area...

There is also one in Covina which is closer to where I'm currently residing...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

the bass head is pretty good. i forget the model number, but i have the redeye combo. i like it a lot for jazz, and stuff where you don't want a lot of tonal coloring. but for my ears it sounds too flat for rock. and that is why i use my ampeg v4b. i think the speakers are eminence, and i have had nothing but bad luck with that brand.

Kevin-
    The valley store closed down about 2 years ago. I kinda forgot about the Covina store. I still wouldn't mind a Bel Air model though if I ever ran across one for a nice price.:)

The valley store closed down about 2 years ago. I kinda forgot about the Covina store.

Really eh?? Use to go to that one waaaay back when I lived near the San Fernando Valley...

Chuckocaster,
    Yeah that was my opinion of the Carvin amps -- really good for a nice flat clean tone for like straight jazz, but not enough character for rock or blues. I might get one someday though when I have the money since I got my bassman head for the rock and blues stuff...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

The Hollywood store is still around.

Vintage combo

New here...forgive the late post. I've been using a Carvin Vintage 60 watt for almost a year now with no problems...bought it used in mint condition...besides speaker swap, I'd recommend retubing with JJ Tubes...been experimenting with preamp tubes and will go to power tubes next....speakers and tube swaps make a big difference in almost every amp I've listened to.

Re: Vintage combo

Originally posted by Cheapstrat
    New here...forgive the late post. I've been using a Carvin Vintage 60 watt for almost a year now with no problems...bought it used in mint condition...besides speaker swap, I'd recommend retubing with JJ Tubes...been experimenting with preamp tubes and will go to power tubes next....speakers and tube swaps make a big difference in almost every amp I've listened to.
    yep! i swap tubes and speakers in every amp i own. but hey, that is just me. you might also want to try some ruby's in the 6l6 position. they are badass too, they sound a little different than the jj's. i use both brands, and mix and match them. both are great. it just depends on what sounds better to you.

I'll give the rubys a try...thanks for the tip!

BTW....what do you like in the way of 12" speakers these days?

i personally like celestions. the vintage 30's are great for rock. most people only associate them with marshalls and voxes. but i use them with my fender amps. if you have the money, weber makes some awesome speakers. and jensens are always nice for the classic fender tone. but my fave is the weber blue dog. modeled after a celestion blue bell. those things are BAD!