Thread: screen in the top of fender amp cabinet?????

Forum Member

screen in the top of fender amp cabinet?????

is the screen in the top of your amp cabinet a necessary evil? I just about finished building a 2/10 combo cabinet out of pine , that im going to bolt my 68 fender dual showman head chassis in. rendering it a combo, saving the original cabinet of course, to mount it back in should i decide to sell it..........do i need to put the screen in the top inside of the cabinet im building? What purpose does it serve???????

I think it's supposed to be shielding.
    I don't know what it would sound like without it.

Forum Member

without the screen

well i hooked everything up and played with it, and it seemed ok, but i better go to the harware store and get some and staple a piece in ..dont wanna damage anything

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    I think the screens were more to keep things from falling in than anything else.

Old Tele man

re: why the screen?

the fine-mesh metal screen "stapled" to the inside of the cabinet top is a "ground-screen" for the chassis...

Think of it this way, there's metal on 5 of the 6 sides of the amp chassis which help keep out static and 60-cycle hum from lamps, wiring, etc.

When the chassis is mounted into the cabinet, there's NOTHING to shield the TOP of the chassis except the wooden cabinet... That's where the screen comes in! The screen makes "contact" with the metal chassis when the four mounting bolts are tightened and forms a "ground-screen" across the TOP of the chassis, thus shielding the 6th side of the amp.
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 02-25-2004 at 09:00 PM.

I asked my amp tech what the heck that screen was and he said its called a hum schield.

I thought it was creating a buzzing sound on my VC at one point but it turned out to be a bad preamp tube. I had pulled it out at one point and didn't notice anything different but I put it back in just the same when I found out it wasn't creating my buzzing problem.

Forum Member

screen in top of amp cabinet

thanks teleman, thats the answer i kinda sorta thought.......ill get myself a piece and staple it in there, just to stay with how they designed everything to work ive almost got this combo done, ill post some pics when i get it done...........it looks smoking.. and it sounds good too .doesnt look like a showman anymore, lol, but it still looks great

Forum Member
    If you need to, you can also use some aluminum foil duct tape. You can find it at Home Depot, etc. It looks like a narrow roll of thick gauge aluminum foil...which it is...but it also has an adhesive backing. This stuff works fine. I like it becuase it doesn't take up as much space as the screen, it does fine as a ground shield, and it stays in place.

Forum Member

screen in top of cabinet

already went to ace, bought screen and stapled it in...........all i got left is to wait till my new cabinet corners and chassis straps and handle and feet come in, couldnt bring myself to use the old beat up , worn corroded corners and stuff on it..not on a new varnished cabinet........and i will be done........

SKYWRITER 900

HI BRO WHA TYPE OF STAIN YOU USIN ON THE WOOD
    WHAS NEW ?

YOU USINN ANY PARTICULAR COLORED GRILLCLOTH?

NOISEFULLY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member

aluminum screen

umm just a dark pine stain, and the grille, ummmm ..lol ya just have to kinda guess the color, lets put it this way, its not traditional by no means......... but thats what the original cabinet os for, i wanted something different......... for this one......and i used 3/4 pine for cabinet, and 3/4 cabinet grade ply for the baffle, and rear panel.........used like a honey pine stain, and im on my 4th coat of gloss varnish....ill get some pics in a few days...........

SKYWRITER !!!!

WORKED THA OL AMP OUT THA DUAL SHOWMAN REVERB TFL 5000D
    IT IS LOUD GAINY LIKE A MARSHALLESQU
    AND I ADDED MASTER VOLUME TO IT BEIN THEM POTS WERE MISSIN
    I JUST RE MADE MY OWN BOARD WIRING LMAO
    ITS GOT REVERB AND THE VIB CHANNEL IS NOW ALL THE PRESENCE GAIN -MAST VOLUME CONTROLS AND BASS ITS FUNNY

I ORIGINALLY WIRED IT TOTALLY STOCK SPECS THEN BLACKFACED IT THEN I WENT ALSO ADAPTED IT FOR EITHER EL34'S OR 6L6GWT'S OR 5881WXT'S LMAO

ITS POTENT IT DOESNT HUM NO NOISE
    JEFF FOR ME IT TOOK ME ABOUT 2 WEEKS ON /OFF I MODDED IT AGAIN HEAVILY I STILL GOT 2 MORE MOSDS THERE IS NO VIBRATO CHANNEL THEM VIB CHANNEL JACKS NOW ARE DUMMY ONES JUST HOLE FILLERS

IT WAS A LABOR OF LOVE
    I AM HAPPY I GOT MASTER VOLUME AND GAIN / PRESENCE CONTROLS ALL THE THINGS IT COULD HAVER HAD WITHOUT THA EXTRA 12AT7 OCTO SHIT VIBRATO CRAP NEON THING

I AM DONE WITH IT FOR NOW ITS ALL CLOSED UP BRO

NOW BASSMAN TIME
    LMAO

I WIRED IT AS A BASSMAN WITH REVERB AND MARSHALL SPECS AND MY OWN IDEAS AND AND CAPS TILL I GOT WHA I WANTED IT IT ARKS LIKE A VOX KINDA
    PRETTY MUCH BRO
    ITS DONE I HAD HER RUNNIN HRS NON STOP
    THE REVERB KICKS ASS

IT WAS FUN
    NOW I GOT TO BUILD MY BLLLLACKFACE OL BASSMAN HEAD
    I'LL ORDER AC NEW TRANSFORMER PROBABLY A 30-40 WATT ONE AS I HATE DEAFENIN VOLUMES

BUT I JUST WANTED TO SAY HI BRO
    GODBLESS
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU

NOW I GOT A FEW SHIT FRIED NASTY BASSMANS IM BUILDIN UP I WAS JUST PARTS PRICIN I RAN OUT OF TURRETS
    FOR MY MOTHER BOARDS
    SO I GOT TO WAIT 2 WEEKS
    AND I WILL SUBMIT A ORDER IN
    FOR MY SUPPLIES
    I NEED 2 MORE REVERB TRANNIES AND BUNCHES OF TURRETS LMAO

IM JUST GLAD I OCCUPY MY TIME SIMPLY WITH MY MAIN HOBBY

OTM I GOT MY WORK CUT OUT FOR ME
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS