Thread: how tight to tighten te neck plate on a strat??

Forum Member

how tight to tighten te neck plate on a strat??

i have a 62 ri strat that the neck plate seems to be warped on it, is this common on these guitars?the corners are enbedded in the body alittle,and how tight should the screws be on the plate??

chris

Callaham sells thicker neck plates. Might try one of those you can tighten the neck a little easier with the thick plate no warping.

Forum Member
    I just looked at my '82 built '62 RI ---- and you're right --- the corners are a bit enbedded.

Never noticed as It was beat to hell when I got it. There is however, NO slippage --- is your neck slipping at all?
    Leroy Lanes rocks my world

Forum Member

well...

the neck plates were thinner on the older stuff (and now the vintage reissue stuff too). the newer styled strats have the thicker plates. i really don't know what the "correct" amount of tightness is though. however, i only tighten mine a little bit anyway. i don't put a lot of torque on the screws at all.
    -jr-

On softer wood be careful of sinking the plate into the wood, poplar and basswood will really do this and alder to a lesser extent, ash does not have this problem much. y

You want it as reasonably tight as possible without warping the plate or sinking the wood, if the wood sinks too far you'll crack the finish.

A good, light snugging of the screws in a cross patteren once every few months should keep things fine.

I like to tweek the plates in by flush sanding the back of em on a true, flat surface with 400 grit paper, and I prefer to upgrade to the thicker plates.
    Last edited by Guildx700~; 08-15-2002 at 05:13 PM.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    80 foot-lbs each screw :snags

just kidding :)

Forum Member
    no slippage at all,i might get a thicker plate when i have a refret!

you guy's are great!! chris