Thread: Saddle screws

Forum Member

Saddle screws

I've just fitted some Allparts brass compensated saddles to my 63 Tele.

The screws are much longer than the originals and really get in the way when I'm playing so I want to get some shorter ones.

I can't use the old ones because they are a different thread - I'm guessing that the Allparts are metric thread.

Incidently, I was surprised how much difference the brass made to the tone of what was already a great sounding Tele. It's really livened it up and also has better sustain than with the old steel threaded type, so I'd like to keep them on.

Any help with those screws please?

Measure the part sticking above the saddle, remove the screw and grind or file the amount you measure off the BOTTOM of the screw, not the head. Replace

Takes about 20-30 minutes with a bench grinder.
    Tom S.

Tweed sounds better

TFF Stage Crew
    I have done the same thing in minutes with tin-snips, again, being sure to cut from the bottom of the screw.

However...

Now that I've told you that, for the love of God, do it like Tweeddeluxe suggests, 'cause that really is the right way. I was clearly insane that day.

I cut mine with a Dremel.

I clamped them in a vise then trimmed them with a cutting blade on my Dremel.

The vise will destroy the threads so I wrapped them several times with thick paper.

Be carefull when you're done, they get extremely hot.

Forum Member
    Thanks guys - I'd thought of cutting or grinding but I was hoping I might be able to buy shorter replacements somewhere.

Looks like it's time to buy that Dremmel.