Thread: spraying nitro in rainy climates

Forum Member

spraying nitro in rainy climates

I'm slowly progressing through a strat body refinish even though it's winter in Oregon. I usually wait for clear skies and pre-heat the garage beforehand. I don't paint when it's raining, but what if it's very overcast? I'm asking because I don't want to risk the old "fogged clearcoat" from too much moisture, but I still want to make progress on this sucker. Anyone else work around this?

Old Tele man

re: "rainy climates"

extremely "high" humidity can be a problem too, as moisture can become "entrained" in the sprayed nitro...causing the "milky" appearance.

If you've got a separate room where you can operate a dehumidifier for a day or so, you can "locally" dry the air enough to paint even if it's raining outside. You want the humidity DOWN, not temperature UP. The "trick" is to get the humidity down below 50%...and KEEP it there...sealed door and window jambs helps...and don't forget airducts into other rooms!

TFF Stage Crew

Also a NW painter

A couple things:
    Beware of spraying lacquer in an enclased space unless you have good ventilation &/or a really good mask.
    Humidity is a problem but you can use blush eraser either IN the lacquer or immediately afterward on the affected areas.
    Use high-quality reducer found at an auto finish store (NOT acetone or lacquer tinner from Fred Meyer- like Parks).
    I won't paint if the weather is too humid or too cool, either.

Forum Member
    My current spray method involves grabbing a big gasp of air, running into the garage, laying a coat and then run for the fresh air outside. I'm going to have to invest in a mask.

I'm just about done with this body and how I've avoided moisture issues is beyond me. Pure luck I'm sure, so I'll have to time my future projects better.

hehe, I'm looking at your avatar and thinking that's what you look like running for air. I've done without a respirator for years doing mostly hobby stuff. When I got into my refinishing biz, I got a good 3M mask, but got in the habit of not wearing it for 'small' jobs...now, I have bad chest pains even smelling lacquer thinner. It's a major and hot PITA, but I keep it on just cleaning my gun with thinner. Can't buy a lung off the shelf, masks/respirators are cheap insurance. Being in Hawaii, we can get real high humidity. I've had jobs blush on me, a heat lamp pulls it out fine..but it's best to spray in ideal conditions when possible. Good luck.
    Hopeless modaholic...