Thread: Slothead EBs

Slothead EBs

This is way off the Fender topic, but "coverable" under Basses,

What does anyone know about Slotted headstock Gibson Basses? Why? My 72 EB-0 is like that, and I've seen a few others including an EB-3 and 3L.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    I've never seen one. Please post a pic.

Forum Member
    I have a slothead EB-0L (long scale), the slotheads were made from late 1969 through 1971. Why? I don't know, no doubt they thought it was a design improvement. It wasn't, but they do look cool.

Mine is great, the neck is narrow across: 1 1/2" at the nut, only 1 15/16" at the 12th fret and 2 1/16" at the end of the neck -- that's less than a Strat or Tele pocket -- but it's a nice thick U shape front to back. Very comfortable for my smaller-than-average hands.

davey, I moderate the Gibson forum at Steve Barr's Dudepit bass forum http://pub206.ezboard.com/bthedudepit . Feel free to stop in and join other masochists who love Gibson basses.

Here's a pic off gBase:

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    That looks pretty nice like that.

Unfortunately, it also looks loike it's born to die young.

Forum Member
    Well, it's not any more prone to headstock/neck breakage than any other Gibson. :tw59

Mine's had the headstock broken off AT LEAST 5 times. At least twice before I bought it (2 seperate cracks and repairs) and 3 times since I've owned it. Funny thing is, I've never been one to break it. It broke when a guy bumped it off it's stand, it broke again when that same guy was using it and it fell from leaning against the amp, it broke again when someone was borrowing it and I wasn't too concerned with picking it up from the chick's apartment and when I opened the case 2-3 months later it was cracked open again. I had a repair guy do a hella ugly (but it hasn't cracked in 8+ years) but stable repair.

Point here is that the cracks each time may have had to do with the direction the tuners are (facing the rear), but had nothing to do with the slots in the headstock.

Dave W. thanks for the invite, it's been a while since I've been at the Dudepit.
    Last edited by davey; 02-02-2004 at 10:26 AM.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.