Thread: Does anyone know about this Fender Japan Fretless?

Gravity Jim

Does anyone know about this Fender Japan Fretless?

A recent ebay purchase made by a friend... any info on this instrument? Is it legit?

Fretless Japanese Jazz

fezz parka
    Hey Jim,

I'm no expert, but the neck is what bugs me. Here's a link to the Ishibashi Fretless JB:

Ishi Fretless

It is awfully pretty though...

If it's a good bass, and it plays fine who care if it's legit or not. $365 sounds good for a fretless Jazz bass to me...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Forum Member

tell ya what:

I don't think that's a Fender neck, but either way, that's some damn nice fingerboard he gots there. And I dig the glossy wet look. I bet that is a DREAM to play on. Full report please?!?

MAYBE, and that is a BIG maybe, I'm thinking the neck is a refin, at least the fingerboard is, by application of gloss....and the guy replaced the decal with a repro...

Forum Member

Fretless Japanese Jazz

The decal/headstock shape looks just like my fretless Japanese Jazz bass. The 'made in Japan' is on the heel of the neck. The fret board appears to be 'varnished' or have some type of coating applied. I've read that some people who prefer round wounds do that to minimize the string damage to the fret board.

Jim

So...did ya get it
    What's the scoop!!??

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Forum Member
    That bass is legit. I own a white one less the ashtrays. I know a few fretless players that use marine apoxy on there fretboards along with a brass nut. The epoxy protects the neck (round wound wankery) and also provides a harder surface for a harder attack. The brass nut allows clearer notes. Jaco also used marine epoxy on his fretboard I believe.

Forum Member
    i would say the neck is definitly a refin
    but the person who bought it got a great deal ..ok if it's not original it wasn't
    eleventybillion dollars either right.
    hope it sounds as awsome as it looks