Thread: DJ-House Music = 70's Disco?

DJ-House Music = 70's Disco?

I was wondering if what we are seeing with DJ's and "House Music" taking over the club scene similar to what happened with Disco in the 70's?

Disco sure put a big damper on the live music scene at the time but fortunately it died out after awhile. The trend now seems to be similar in that most of the younger crowd that enjoys going out on the town to a club goes out to a club that has a DJ playing Trance or House Music.

Is this killing the live music scene? Or could there just be such a glut of mediocre and bands that no one enjoys going out to see band anymore because they end up sucking most the time?

It just gets under my skin when I see lines down the block of people waiting to get into a dance club and it usually takes a major effort to get 30 people to a live rock venue.

I sure hope the live music clubs can survive but I almost seeing them as being on the endagered speicies list.

Around here we have 5 bars within 3 miles that book live bands. Jan's Lounge has Powerhouse (very hot local band) booked this month. We dropped in Sat night at about 10 and the place was packed like New Year's. On the other hand, Ugly's now books bands that can't play anywhere else as in bad punk, metal, etc.
    All of these places also have kachokee and CJs.
    We've been talking to Jan's about playing Wed. nights starting sometime next month just to get a little more exposure (still need to firm up the details...contract, contract, contract....and try to squeeze a little more money).

Downtown Sac has mostly gone to the CJ thing supposedly because it's cheaper.
    If you can't laugh at yourself, who can?

That's actually good news and am glad to hear that the live music scene is flourishing in some areas.

That somewhat confirms a suspicion I've had that playing outlying rural areas may be more sucessful than playing in bigger cities where people have 1 million on 1 other things to do.