Thread: Got an invitation

Got an invitation

…to play the guitar in a Doors tribute band.

The job will probably be easier than I am used to, as the band leader is one hell of a keyboard player.

Other than a good cranked amp and a tube screamer, I think a tremolo unit and some longer fingernails are in order.

Suggestions? Personal views on The Doors?

Re: Got an invitation

Caffeine or amphetamines. You'll be forced to play Roadhouse and it's impossible to stay awake while playing it.

At least Riders lets you do some ascending chord scales.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I know you've had recent issues with your band, so this is an opportunity for work, and perhaps growth. I was never a Doors fan, so I can't speak to the needed equipment. Good luck to you, S.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Actually, when I listen most Doors tunes are played pretty clean. It's just the B3/Leslie that sounds all crunchy.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Actually, when I listen most Doors tunes are played pretty clean. It's just the B3/Leslie that sounds all crunchy.
    +1

I think the only two Doors songs I ever played in a band were "Love Me Two Times" and "Roadhouse Blues". Most of their material is too cerebral for the typical biker-bar clientele.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I was tasked with singing those two in our R&R band back in the day. (Like you say mandatory for motorcycle enthusiasts).

Funny, I like the Doors. Just enough psychedelia for my taste.

I have the Door's Greatest Hits CD and there are some good songs on it. Jim Morrison was one weird dude.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Sounds like a blast man!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I'd definitely grab the Les Paul for that gig.

Since Robby used P90s a lot, I think the Rickenbacker will be the best tool in my arsenal for the job.

It has the High-Gain pickups, which are a bit hotter output-wise, due to being a bit overwound compared to P-90s (while it's not the best indicator of pickup output, DC coil resistance is a good starting point - P-90s typically have 8.5 to 9 kilo-ohms of DC resistance vs the 8.5 [the early versions] to about 12 kilo-ohms DC resistance modern Hi Gains). Hi-Gains might drive amps a tad harder than P-90s but not as much as typical ‘buckers…

In a couple of the groups I’ve been in I sang Doors tunes with two I can recall as “Love Her Madly” and “Riders on the Storm”. I don’t recall Manzarek playing a B3. I think he used a Vox organ (Continental?) and a Fender Rhodes keyboard bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    In a couple of the groups I’ve been in I sang Doors tunes with two I can recall as “Love Her Madly” and “Riders on the Storm”. I don’t recall Manzarek playing a B3. I think he used a Vox organ (Continental?) and a Fender Rhodes keyboard bass.

IIRC he got a B3 in ‘71

Thanks Laker, Rhodes would be pretty crunchy too. Maybe that's what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Caffeine or amphetamines. You'll be forced to play Roadhouse and it's impossible to stay awake while playing it.

At least Riders lets you do some ascending chord scales.

Funny, I was just talking to a couple of friends about this. You see, not everything is all about complexity or refinement… There’s good music of all kinds. There are Dead songs and there are Ramones’s songs, with plenty of fans of either…

Me, I don’t find The Doors boring. Break on Through and Roadhouse blues are songs I usually played in my gigs and the audience always seemed to enjoy them.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The Doors were a great act, no dispute there. It's just that for a guitarist in a tribute band there's just not much meat on the bone as it were.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    IIRC he got a B3 in ‘71
    Sergio, I think the big hits were on the Vox…I just don’t recall Doors hits with a Hammond sound.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    The Doors were a great act, no dispute there. It's just that for a guitarist in a tribute band there's just not much meat on the bone as it were.
    That’s why I said it’ll be an easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Sergio, I think the big hits were on the Vox…I just don’t recall Doors hits with a Hammond sound.
    Ray didn’t play the B3 until the post-Morrison gigs.

Don't underestimate the guitar work on the Doors tunes.

It's as much about attitude as it about good playing.

Sounds like a fun gig.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Playing lots of long lead solos is not the only way to enjoy playing guitar. The Doors grooved. The three guys locked in, and if you can do that, you’ve got it, and you’ll have a great time. Too much noodling bores people anyway unless that’s what they’re paying to see.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I’ve always felt that way, Willie. There’s a place for every kind of guitar playing.

Also, Robby has a Flamenco/Classical background. Having studied classical guitar myself, I think I might have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Playing lots of long lead solos is not the only way to enjoy playing guitar. The Doors grooved. The three guys locked in, and if you can do that, you’ve got it, and you’ll have a great time. Too much noodling bores people anyway unless that’s what they’re paying to see.
    I totally agree. I can summon up the fire for guitar solos as well as the next guy, but I'd much rather be laying down a slick, smooth groove that makes the girls shake their moneymakers!

Guitar solos are a lot more fun for those who never really learned the value of good rhythm. To them, rhythm is boring.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    but I'd much rather be laying down a slick, smooth groove that makes the girls shake their moneymakers!

That’s PRECISELY how I feel about gigging lol

I think you’ll have a great time playing Doors music. I loved playing Riders on the Storm and Break on through in my cover band in Germany. They were audience favorites. We had an amazing 18 year old keyboard player who nailed those songs. Very satisfying to play. Roadhouse Blues as well.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I totally agree. —-
    Guitar solos are a lot more fun for those who never really learned the value of good rhythm. To them, rhythm is boring.
    So TRUE.
    Got offered a 5th recurring gig since I moved here 11 months ago and I didn’t even play till 7 months ago. Being able to help create a groove is most important. And a possible 6th recurring gig is in the sights. While I’m not flashy or fashionable, I’m am serviceable. Closing out my taxes for 2022, I see I started playing here in late April. Had 53 gigs this year since then.
    Mark

Might be a fun band to play bass in too. Bob's correct, the Doors could lay down a really intoxicating groove. I'm just too ADHD to lay on the one for 64 bars. My biggest shortcoming as player. After a while my drifts, I start looking at the floor and thinking it needs to be swept :)

Chuck