Thread: Marshall Class 5 and Mojotone 5F1

Marshall Class 5 and Mojotone 5F1

I ran these both together tonight and was surprised that the little Champ held its own. I've always thought of the Class 5 as being excruciatingly loud but I think that's because it doesn't have a good clean sound. To tell you the truth, the Champ has a decent clean sound AND it sounds better than the Class 5 when cranked up.

Forum Member

Re: Marshall Class 5 and Mojotone 5F1

I've been playing Champs forever! I had David Allen 5F1 a '73 Silverface and also run a stock '68 Bronco, as well as a David Allen modded '68 Vibro Champ where the vibrato is disconnected and that tube is used as an extra gain stage.

I've had nothing but good tone from any of them. I've tried AC4s, Class 5s, Blackstars and VHTs. The Champs rule over them all in my book.

I would like to try the Ibanez Tube Screamer 5 watt with reverb as well as the Carr Mercury and the Space Tone.

Are there any other reverb equipped 5 watters out there?

I've had several 5 watt-ish SE amps over the years including a couple of Gibson GA5s and a Vibrochamp but I finally got them figured out with my Mojotone 5F1. I have to admit that I cheated a bit on this amp- I installed the bright cap from the 5F2-A tone stack with a resistor to set its strength. This allows the amp to sound great a clean levels too.

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Are there any other reverb equipped 5 watters out there?
    I used to have a Mesa Express 5:50. It had incredible reverb. In it's 5 watt SE mode it was an awesome sounding 54 pound 5 watter!

Forum Member

I've been eyeing the Rectoverb, 5-25, and Swart Space Tone but never seem to find any to actually play through. Their all a big chunk o'change to buy sight unseen!

Forum Member

My sister in law was curious about tube amplifiers, so my brother in law found her a 56 Les Paul. I recapped it, and installed a grounded plug, and she really liked the sound. A couple of months later she was in a city, and stopped in at a music store, fell in love with a Rectoverb and brought it home. It has a lot of options, although she doesn't use many, but I like her sound too. (They are not cheap!)