Thread: 5E3 Was Running On 1 Power Tube?

Forum Member

5E3 Was Running On 1 Power Tube?

So - I just got a Tweed Champ going and in the process of getting that thing lined out I discovered that one the power tubes in my 5E3 was dead. I pulled it to give it a try in the Tweed Champ and all quiet, crickets.. Put the same tube into my SF Champ, crickets.. Put it back into the 5E3 and sound.

Possible? or was I dreaming it all? Am I not the Tone Snob I think that I am because I didn't notice when playing the 5E3?
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Re: 5E3 Was Running On 1 Power Tube?

Maybe you are a tone snob and you actually like the sound of your 5E3 running on one power tube! Or, maybe there's just enough life left in the tube that it functions in the push pull circuit (is it possible for a tube to work in a push pull amp but not an ES amp?).

Forum Member

I have not had good luck with power tubes as far as 6V6s go..

I have used 3 brands so far:

-Electro Harmoix - see long lasting, maybe its because I pull them in favor of better sounding tubes.

-JJs - like to distortion tone but dont last.

-TungSol - like the clean sound but again dont seem to last.

My SF Champ had an RCA 6V6 in it when I purchased it, its still going strong.. <theres my answer
    P e a c e KYC

I have Tung Sol reissue 6V6s in my Princeton Reverb clone and like them a lot. I don't think the amp is too hard on them, though. The preamp tubes are Tung Sol reissues as well (except for the 12AT7) and they sound good. I think I have a JJ 5AR4 in that amp.

I've had GE 6V6s in my 5E3 clone for years and they're great! The preamp tubes and rectifier are old tubes as well. I don't recall the brands, but I tried a lot and chose my favorites. I have trouble keeping a quiet 12AY7 in it!

I have a re-branded RCA 6V6 in my 5F1 clone and it sounds good. I had one fail to bias as mentioned in another thread. The rectifier is an RCA and the 12AX7 is a different brand. The RCA 12AX7s that I have were too "dark" sounding for that amp.

I've been happy with old used tubes that test well.

Forum Member

.. .. .. tubes... like magic.
    P e a c e KYC

Quote Originally Posted by KYChucky View Post
    My SF Champ had an RCA 6V6 in it when I purchased it, its still going strong.. <theres my answer
    Yep..!

I regularly use old tubes pulled from old/found/bought/gifted equipment in my new
    builds. I try them out in a simple SE circuit and then just add 'em to the collection.
    (have no proper tube tester)