Thread: BYOC - a new idea...combination boxes

BYOC - a new idea...combination boxes

Do you all remember the Foxrox Captain Coconut pedal? It contained a UniVibe, an Octavia, and a Fuzz Face circuit built into a box that enabled you to switch each one off individually. It's been discontinued, but I was able to play through one 3 or 4 years ago and it was very, very nice.

My son, who's a fuzz junkie, had come across some information on this pedal, and we were wondering how easy or hard it is to build the guts of 3 pedals into one box, with just the in, out, and power jacks available....and in the case of a faux Captain Coconut, perhaps the controller input for the UniVibe.

I personally don't "need" a CC pedal, 'cause I don't use fuzz as much as overdrive, but my son said "Dad, you should build yourself one and call it Captain Trips (Jerry Garcia's nickname). And I looked on the BYOC site and they have all the building blocks: a Distortion +, a clean boost (like a Micro Amp, only with more tonal control), and the MXR envelope filter. I was thinking that this would be a really cool winter project to do, along with a true bypass looper...

I'm just wondering how difficult it is to

a. drill out the bigger box
    b. lay out the 3 circuits
    c. wire 'em together, without
    d. causing interference.

What do all you wiring gurus say?

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Re: BYOC - a new idea...combination boxes

I've wired up a couple of Red Llamas in the same box. I had JD at General Guitar Gadgets drill the box, which was their standard large enclosure. I think you'd need a bigger one, probably M9 sized.

I was very happy to note that there weren't any motorboating issues with a bunch of stacked gain stages being fed by the same power source. If you needed to, you could probably add power supply filtering/isolation without too much problems. If you wanted to eliminate an external supply, you could add a plug and use a transformer like this

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/pdlxfmr.gif

Of course, you'd need to make up a little rectifier/zener board.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I think it would be fun. You could put a switch so you could swap the pedals orders like the Fulltone GT500.

I've been thinking about putting my BYOC delay in a larger housing with two sets of controls and a switch so I can go from playing "Rock this Town" to "Red House" without getting on my knees!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I think it would be fun. You could put a switch so you could swap the pedals orders like the Fulltone GT500.
    Get a few wafer switches, and you can set up positions A/B/C/D whatever. Run fx in series or in parallel, in whatever order you want for a real old-school multifex.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

So one question. When you do this you can just wire the input of one pedal circuit to the next one - obviously bypassing the jacks - and it occurred to me that you'd also not need to wire in a battery clip for each circuit.

I'm starting to think I might actually put this project on the back burner and first build a twofer pedal instead - to get the hang of it - because it's come to my attention that if you're gonna build a Jerry Garcia pedal you also must have a MuTron Octave Divider pedal circuit. That's four now, plus he also used a script logo Phase 100.

Now we're up to 5 boxes...later on in his career he used a bunch of Boss pedals but I'm looking to replicate his earlier sound...but building 5 pedals into a box is way beyond my current skill level...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

This saves board space too, not sure why I have not done it? There are some instructions on how to put multi-pedal together out there, I have seen them. Perhaps do a search for 'matsumin valve caster'. Guys that build these often put more than one unit in an enclosure.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .