Thread: Tungsten Cortez

Tungsten Cortez

Just got one this week. The Tungsten Cortez is a reproduction of a late '50's Fender narrow panel tweed Deluxe. I have a few late 50's Deluxe amps that are original. I also have a RI '57 Fender Deluxe with a Weber (replacement) speaker. (I don't prefer the RI Jensen speakers at all.) I used all the amps for comparison.

The Tungsten Cortez is really an excellent Deluxe reproduction. I put NOS tubes in it and played it for about 8 hours this past week. The speaker still sounds a bit "new". So I connected a late 50's Jensen P 12 Q to the Cortez to see what it sounds like compared to the original Fender Deluxe with the same speaker and tubes. It makes the grade! The Cortez sounds like the old Fender, but with less fatigue. I have no doubt it sounds like the original Fenders did when they were brand new. Even after just 8 hours I can tell "just a slight breaking in" mellowness to the speaker. So in a year of playing it should be just about right!

Of course, I believe that "many of the components" of the amp need time to "settle in a bit" before the amp hit's it's sonic peak in life.

The build quality is a modest notch above the Fender RI '57 Deluxe. The Tungsten has better caps/components than the RI Fender and a "little better" attention to build quality too. (Though the RI Fender is not built bad at all, and it sounds very good). The Cortez is several hundred dollars less expensive though, and seems to provide just a bit more bang for the buck.

If you are considering a new Deluxe amp I would highly recommend the Tungsten Cortez. With maybe some NOS 6V6 and 12AX7 tubes for icing on the cake.
    Last edited by buckaroo; 02-26-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Re: Tungsten Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Even after just 8 hours I can tell "just a slight breaking in" mellowness to the speaker. So in a year of playing it should be just about right!
    Dude... are you telling me that a.) it'll take a year to break in a speaker and b.) yer prepared to wait that long?... you must have an awful lot of time on your hands... me I just thrash it to within an inch of it's life and they usually give in

We're using Tayden ACE 25's and 50's as an alnico solution because they sound good right out of the box... (apparently J Bonamassa thinks so too...) We've also used RI P1xR's, Q's and N's(suffix as is appropriate), Celestions, Eminence's... you name it... customers are funny buggers... they all insist on different things for whatever reason... mine is not to ask why...mine is to supply what goes in front of 'em and the box it goes in... if they want x, yor z in the way of a speaker(s)... that's their prerogative...

Re the Tungsten Cortez... I'm forced to ask what's so special about it?... it's in a standard 5E3 cab you can buy from Mojo... it 's in a standard 5E3 chassis you can buy from Mojo... all the guy's done is add a standby switch... he's using carbon comp resistors as if that's a good thing... bog standard Sprague Atoms which are just overpriced anyway...Mallory 150's... whilst it's no doubt better and cheaper than a Fender RI... that's not actually saying much...

I'm not just p*ssing on your parade because I'm an awkward old twat... and it's nice that you've been kind enough to tell us that there is a better and cheaper alternative to a 5E3 RI... but it does boil my bunny when another guy figures out he can buy all this commonly available stuff and crowd the market with what is - essentially nothing new or clever...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by yankeerob View Post
    I'm not just p*ssing on your parade because I'm an awkward old twat... .
    Then why?

Then why what?..
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Quote Originally Posted by yankeerob View Post
    I'm not just p*ssing on your parade because I'm an awkward old twat... and it's nice that you've been kind enough to tell us that there is a better and cheaper alternative to a 5E3 RI... but it does boil my bunny when another guy figures out he can buy all this commonly available stuff and crowd the market with what is - essentially nothing new or clever...

We all have different perspectives. And we all express ourselves with varying degrees of diplomacy. Just like we all listen to and play different styles of music and drive different cars.

To be clear, my perspective about the Tungsten Cortez is this: "The amp is put together exceptionally well and sounds like an original Fender Deluxe." In my view, that is what a potential buyer would want to know.

For those who are willing to pay the extra money for having it built, rather than taking the time and effort do build it ourselves, my view is the Tungsten Cortez offers a high quality product at a competitive price for a "boutique" style amp.

The point of the thread is to share a review, of sorts, on a product. I apppreciate that there are builders out there that do this! I appreciate that there is a competitive market for these products. If that "boils your bunny", so be it.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I am sure that you are not alone.
    Last edited by buckaroo; 02-29-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling and additional comment before responses

That's cool with me too ... But the market does get more and more crowded everyday... so when another guy comes along and regurgitates what's already been done a thousand times and cuts into another of my colleagues ability to compete in it - then - as you say - and sincere thanks for not being offended - I have the right to to offer an opinion on their doing so... and I'm sure it won't affect your enjoyment of that amp one bit

and I totally get your point... amp building isn't for everyone.... and it shouldn't be... it can be a dangerous if you haven't got the skills... so fair play... I'd just like to see more innovation of design... both aesthetically and electronically... that's more my point... but like I say... I'm sure you'll have more fun with it and that it'll last longer than a Fender RI...

Sure. At this point a 5E3 is like a toll house cookie. Now anybody can make a toll house cookie. You get your flour, your butter, your egg, your sugar, your chocolate bits and you bake it. Now some folks may have figured out that it might taste better with 80% cocoa semi-sweet chocolate, and Irish butter, but it's still a toll house cookie.

Now if somebody makes a recipie that uses Callard and Bowser toffee bits, and a touch of freshly grated nutmeg with a mix of clarified butter and truffle oil, egg whites and whole wheat flour - they're coming up with something a little different. Some people might like the Nestle recipie better, some might like the changes. But you're not just bolting bits together and claiming them as your own.

Now I don't know anything about Tungsten amps. I do know that Victoria, Clark, Kendrick, and a zillion other people make 5E3 clones and call them such. Maybe Tungsten does, maybe they don't.

FWIW - Fender's current tweed deluxe is a modified 5E3 too., It has screen resistors, where the original doesn't. It's probably a bit saggier than the real thing. It's kind of like spitting in the cookie dough.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

LMFAO - nice one Kap... that about sums it up...

And you're a bit of a dark horse on the cooking front too... perhaps we can swap recipes instead of schematics

I just came up with that. Sounds pretty tasty, though. Maybe I should fire up the oven.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Sure. At this point a 5E3 is like a toll house cookie. Now anybody can make a toll house cookie.

I think that is true about many of the classic tweed models as well. I, for one, am glad about that. It gives everyone an opportunity to experience the classic designs. And I agree that some reproductions are "closer to the originals" than others.

I ususally don't focus too much on a few circuit details that may differ from the originals as long as they sound "much like" the originals. I think that most reproductions will vary from the originals in some respect. Hell, many of my Fender originals differ from one another and they have the same model number!

For myself, I find I prefer to keep the originals at home and use the newer "reproductions" for playing out.

Hi again Buck-o... I totally agree that people should be aware of all the classic designs before they forkout on a P.O.S. DSP... I fookin hate the things with a passion and am working on an analogue solution to all this DSP crap... but I have to accept that the vast majority of people will be happy because they are ignorant... not like stupid ignorant... but either in denial of the difference they can hear or just plain not aware...

And I agree that keeping the vintage stuff at home is no bad thing... it's kind of like your 'Sunday best'; in't it... best kept in the closet for when you need it 'Sides... some rascal might take a fancy to it and 'disappear' it on you... have fun with that amp dude...

OK well most pros, semipros and hobbyists play non-handwired stuff, and enjoy it. Why? Because it sounds the way they expect it to sound.

As far as guys like Keith Urban and Brad Paisley, to name a few...they're using racks with drawers and drawers full of pedals. Do they sound great? Yep. Are they using boutique handwired amps? More often than not...but the only way you're gonna really, really, really hear - and reap the benefits from - pure, unadulterated handwired Fender 5e3 tonal goodness is if you ONLY use your guitar through a good cable direct into the amp.

And there are plenty of people who are happy to pay top $$ for tone.

BUT...

Your average club patron cannot hear the difference.

Your average drummer is drowing out all the nuances of your tone.

Your average co-guitarist is cutting through like a hot knife through butter using his Jazz Chorus 120 and his Boss pedals.

Your average bass player is plugging into his solid state Gallien Krueger head with a 4x10 bottom, looking bored and waiting for you and your co-guitarist to hurry up and get your tone together so that he can impress the dancing girls with his playing - NOT his "tone" - and his good looks.

While you are talking about that magical tone that SRV/Keef/Kenny Wayne/Ronnie/Mick/Larry etc. get that you're trying to emulate, between the sets, that bass player is getting rounds of drinks bought for him and girls' numbers scrawled on beer-mats.

The pursuit of tone is a noble pursuit, but as any major dude will tell you, it's more about the notes you play, and the hooks you nail and the fun you inspire in the crowd...whether you're playing a sansamp, a '59 bassman, a PolyTone MiniBrute, or a Standel.

I totally don't mean to crap in anyones' cornflakes...just expressing the opinion that in the heat of battle, great guitar tone is not the most important arrow in the quiver.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Depends on what band you play in Rick... I don't play with *ssholes like that...and I do not mean to be offensive... I just don't tolerate that crap anymore...

I've just joined a band where the drummer keeps the beat, the bass player accents what he's doing, the singer sings the tunes and plays a reasonably competent rhythm guitar and I do my job of providing the icing on the cake. We do our jobs, we have a beer or two, have a laugh and joke between sets, get paid and go home to our families...

Tone has nothing to do with personalities... and every sound man we work with thanks the lord that we turn up with 15W combos that sound good... makes his night a breeze... make of that what you will and I stress that it ain't a flame at you Rick...you sound like a nice guy... but I'm too old to be friggin around with guys who care more about getting laid than getting in the groove with the rest of us

Quite honestly, the pursuit of tone inspires me to play.

When I have a guitar and amp that sound good to me, it makes playing more enjoyable. Beyond the tone, I enjoy playing music that I find interesting.

I only play with musicians that have a similar philosophy. When the band is playing.....that is the main mission in our lives. Period. We all play straight. We are working. We are serious about it. Any "party activity" is for another time. That is just what we prefer. If other bands have different philosophies and work ethic then that is there business and not mine. I take no offense at what they do.

And since the thread is about the Tungsten Cortez, let me just say again: to my ear this is a great sounding, well built amp for the money. If you are in the market for a "tweed Deluxe style" amp at this price point, I recommend considering it. I realize that there are many worthy contenders out there so happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    but the only way you're gonna really, really, really hear - and reap the benefits from - pure, unadulterated handwired Fender 5e3 tonal goodness is if you ONLY use your guitar through a good cable direct into the amp.
    That is all I ever use...guitar, cable and amp. At a bigger venue I might use a passive splitter to run two amps....a Deluxe and a Pro...but I don't use pedals. OK, once and awhile I use a Fender 6G15 but that's it.

...but I don't use pedals. OK, once and awhile I use a Fender 6G15 but that's it.
    That's one hell of a big pedal!

For myself, I find I prefer to keep the originals at home and use the newer "reproductions" for playing out.
    I've tried that......my main practice amp is a Classic 30.I don't want to load an amp in and out every time we rehearse,so I just leave it there at the bandhouse.But when I use the C30 live (although a good amp) I keep thinking about the real tweed I have at home,and why I tried so hard to secure and restore them! I don't have any RI amps,and sometimes take out a '59 Tremolux to use with the C30 or '59 Bassman.
    The Tungsten I heard (Crema Wheat) has a FANTASTIC tone-----would love to have one of these!Now I want to hear a Cortez!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwhTqv8bL0
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

I equate tone to women's fashion. do guys really care about fashion? Nope. Some tight fitting clothes, a bit of cleavage, a little makeup and we're good. Outside of that guys really don't care. However, women have countless different options for dressing. They have 3/4 of a department store devoted to them, 1/4 for men.

Basically, the entire fashion industry is created to allow women to impress other women. Guys really couldn't care.

Same with guitars. 98 percent of bar patrons just care that you can play the song halfway decently. They could care less what guitar and amp you were playing, much less be able to tell the difference or know that you were playing the "right" guitar and amp.

Basically, the entire guitar industry and "tone" quest simply exists to impress other guitarists.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Quote Originally Posted by refin View Post
    The Tungsten I heard (Crema Wheat) has a FANTASTIC tone-----would love to have one of these!Now I want to hear a Cortez!
    there you go. They are killer little amps!

Gravity Jim

Fashion is not for impressing other women: the urge is inner directed, and about feeling good about yourself.

Which is exactly why guitar playes blow big coin on "tone." Would Larry Carlton be just has impressive a guitar player with a Eastland and a Lab amp? He would. But HE likes his Dumble.

Seems like there are two messages being discussed that should be separated out for clarity to the reader. Assume the same guitar player is playing the same guitar and tune. Once with a less expensive amp and then once with the high end boutique amp:

1. Audience members may or may not be able to tell the difference in tone that a "boutique" amp offers.

2. The guitar player may be able to tell the difference in tone that the boutique amp offers and appreciate it that difference.

With regard to the above, my view is that a good guitar player does not "need" high end gear to play well and sound good. But a good guitar player "most likely can" appreciate the quality that the high end gear offers; even if the audience is indifferent to the tone of the high end gear.

If you feel that the high end gear inspires / excites you to play even better, you are probably going to enjoy playing it whether others appreciate that difference or not.

With regard to the above, my view is that a good guitar player does not "need" high end gear to play well and sound good. But a good guitar player "most likely can" appreciate the quality that the high end gear offers; even if the audience is indifferent to the tone of the high end gear.

If you feel that the high end gear inspires / excites you to play even better, you are probably going to enjoy playing it whether others appreciate that difference or not.
    I have to admit that I agree with this - and don't get me wrong - I LIKE to have good gear behind me, and I buy with my eyes, not just my ears. Good looking guitars and amps - that also play well, intonate well, and sound great inspire a better performance from me, too.

But I'd have to draw the line at spending a couple thousand bucks on an amp, perhaps because I don't play places where I could turn 'em up and burn...not because I wouldn't like to have one.

Dang it, now you all have got me in mind to try out some tweed amps... yikes!

Forum Member

That's the key. Rarely will someone purchase without their eyes somewhat involved. I like quality gear myself (well, quality gear within a budget). Ultimately it comes down to whatever floats your boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Dang it, now you all have got me in mind to try out some tweed amps... yikes!

I'm happy just to dance with my RI. It may not be the prettiest partner at the ball, but it gives good tone.

Having made that politically incorrect statement, I'd love to have a tweed, but it just ain't in the budget.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Play what you like, but above all else play what you can afford. Hopefully those two intersect somewhat.
    orange picks

That's a good bit of philosophy, Kap'n.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Play what you like, but above all else play what you can afford. Hopefully those two intersect somewhat.

agreed

Or........sell what'cha got to get what'cha want!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

Totally agree. Luckily with low power tweeds a little DIY can go a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    Totally agree. Luckily with low power tweeds a little DIY can go a long way!
    Yep. Or alternatively, somebody else's DIY can go a long way, if you know what you're looking at.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    98 percent of bar patrons just care that you can play the song halfway decently. They could care less what guitar and amp you were playing, much less be able to tell the difference or know that you were playing the "right" guitar and amp.

Basically, the entire guitar industry and "tone" quest simply exists to impress other guitarists.
    Must be a cultural thing... most guitarists I know are mad on finding a great sound for their own personal reasons... if the punters like it... 's all the better