Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it a Relic or is it Broken?

Re: Is it a Relic or is it Broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Here is what happened to me yesterday. I decided to get my old Les Paul goldtop either restored or repaired. The back is fine, but all the gold is gone. If I put on a brand new gold finish, it might look wierd. I might have to relic the gold to make it match.

And I hate relicing. Doesn't that crack you up?
    I think that's a legitimate use of the relic process.

+1

TFF Stage Crew

You guys are funny. Why is that a "legitimate" use? It is still fake, is it not?

I don't think there's anything wrong with making a repair on an old instrument look like it belongs with the rest of the instrument (though personally, I'd rather have it look new).

That's certainly different than building a new instrument and putting fake wear on it.

Isn't it?

I guess it's the difference of making an instrument of it's provenence looking like an instrument of its age, and not trying to make a new instrument look like an old one.

Imagine somebody doing that with an MG TC.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    You could have the entire guitar refinished to look brand new & keep your integrity intact.
    I decided to get my integrity reliced instead. I have been told that it's not that painful, except for on the butt cheeks.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with making a repair on an old instrument look like it belongs with the rest of the instrument (though personally, I'd rather have it look new).

I agree with making the age of the repair match the age of the guitar. In fact, from what I have read about the history of relicing / aging of guitars, that is how the whole aging thing started. Repair people would make a repair that would look to "blend in" with the original finish. From there it evolved to making the whole (new) guitar look old.

i think history will look back on this period and consider that we went overboard with relicing / aging. But, I also think that "very subtle aging" will be the norm in the foreseeble future. I think that for some time to come, some degree of aging will dominate over "brand new" finished guitars.

I think that broken pickguards / parts, as part of the aging process, will not catch on very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    I guess it's the difference of making an instrument of it's provenence looking like an instrument of its age, and not trying to make a new instrument look like an old one.

Imagine somebody doing that with an MG TC.
    I love the MGTC. It was the car that got me hooked on roadsters, not because of real life experience, but because of a book that I read as a child, called The Red Car by Don Stanford.

Years ago a TC had been restored and auctioned for charity. Of course, they did not age the car, however they did put a dulling agent in the paint to make it just a bit less shiny (not rat rod dull).

If I was having a whole guitar re-finished and restored I'd want it to be shiny. If just a portion of the guitar was being repaired, I might consider having it aged to better match the rest of the car.

BTW, I've seen people using relic techniques on new hot rods. Multiple layers of paint sand off to reveal the lower layers, old license plates pop riveted to a floor that it rust free, etc... it's a horrible thing!

The link to the guitar in the OP is no longer working. The guitar is no longer on the dealer's web site. My sense is that someone has pruchased it. Good for them.

It will be interesting, too me at least, to see what else might emerge from the Fender custom shop along the border line of "Is It Broken?".

Many thanks to those that shared the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    The link to the guitar in the OP is no longer working. The guitar is no longer on the dealer's web site. My sense is that someone has pruchased it. Good for them.

It will be interesting, too me at least, to see what else might emerge from the Fender custom shop along the border line of "Is It Broken?".

Many thanks to those that shared the thread!
    Did anyone ever tell you that you look just like Buck Owens?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

My friend Don has mentioned that fact.