Thread: Chorus M-80 one spkr?

Chorus M-80 one spkr?

I have a Chorus M-80 amp...there are two pairs of spkr wires coming out of the chassis and one pair goes to one of the two 12" spkrs while the other pair goes to the second spkr..i am not concerned with the lack of chorus effect so can you run the chorus M-80 with only one of the spkr wire sets connected leaving the other taped up?...I know you cant do this on a tube amp but not familiar with SS laws.
    Last edited by johncarte; 08-25-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Forum Member

Re: Chorus M-80 one spkr?

John, haven't been able to find the schem for this amp. But I don't think disconnecting one speaker would be a good idea. The amp may have two seperate output transformes(ie stereo), in which case a suitable load must be present on both. Solid state amps usually label a minimum load on the back panel or in the manual. Art

Can't you just switch off the chorus?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

John, did you get the schematics I sent you?
    Bill

The Fender Stereo Chorus amps were actually wired in stereo, with one of the speakers receiving a chorused signal while the other did not...so whether you care about chorus or not, it would be a bad idea to run one of the speaker wire sets with no load on it.

If your problem is that one of the speakers is blown, then replacing it with a $40 replacement (Jensen MOD speakers are about this cost) would be cheaper than buying a new amp.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Yes bill thanks...sorry for the delayed answer..

Sorry, I didn't see this post earlier - if it is truely a solid-state amp, then it will not hurt it if a speaker is disconnected.

In response to aclempoppi's post - while it is true that SS amps can be damaged by too low of an impedance load, a disconnected speaker represents an infinite load. This will not bother the SS power amp in the least. Just make sure that the unused speaker terminals cannot get shorted to each other. That would be bad.

Whether it sounds good or not is another matter. I'll leave that to your ears.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett