Thread: NGD: The Telecaster I've always been looking for.

NGD: The Telecaster I've always been looking for.

1990 MIJ

It arrived a few hours ago. Been playing the hell out of it and I'm really enjoying it.

The body's made of 3 pieces all seamed together pretty damn well. There's a fairly big chunk of finish out of the bottom towards the back side near the input jack but I don't give a shite in the slightest.

The neck is a little thin but great in shape and the pickups are really killer too.

Just took some pics.

Re: NGD: The Telecaster I've always been looking for.

Very nice!

Agreed. That is a fine guitar there. Congratulations.
    s'all goof.

Congrats buddy! Nice Guitar!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

So let me ask this question - I'm gathering you're into death metal. I don't really know what qualifies as death metal, or what exactly it sounds like. Is a Telecaster really a death metal instrument? Just curious.
    s'all goof.

nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    So let me ask this question - I'm gathering you're into death metal. I don't really know what qualifies as death metal, or what exactly it sounds like. Is a Telecaster really a death metal instrument? Just curious.
    I love Death Metal but I don't enjoy playing it as a musician. I'm much more of a person who plays blues infused hard rock/sludgey stuff like Doomriders, Inepsy, Baroness and Alice In Chains. On the other side of the coin I also love playing really classic doom and stoner rock stuff that kinda sits in the vein of classic Sabbath.

If you're interested in these bands, check 'em out on youtube. ;)

Death Metal:

Obituary - Slowly We Rot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytpt3c5dtZs

Bluesy hard rock:

Doomriders - Darkness Come Alive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNVptkIol1o

Inepsy - City Weapons
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru9vwS3ZVYY

Baroness - Sweetest Curse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADE5ENScFqo

Alice In Chains - Man In The Box
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yb4e4qc22k

Classic Stoner/Doom rock:

Valkyrie - False Dreams
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvfeELvZTs

Goatsnake - Mower
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu1JN4Y8opQ

etc...

This thing is just setting my soul on fire. I just spent an hour setting it up for 10's and adjusting the action and intonation (neck is suprisingly perfect truss-wise) and she's just singing like an angel.

The neck pickup took a second to get used to since I always forget that tele neck pickups have a lot less 'bright' top than a strat neck pickup.

I've written 2 songs and have basic frameworks for 3 other songs. It's totally true when you've stopped fiddling around and playing musical chairs with your gear that it actually starts inspiring you to write and play better.

Seriously this thing is about to jump into the #1 position.

Nice Tele.. Enjoy!

Hey, thanks for the explanation and all the links. I'll give it a shot and broaden my horizons a bit.

I find that there's often something to learn from music that's outside of your normal comfort zone, even if you don't like it and don't keep coming back to it.

Glad you're digging your Tele. My first was a Squier back in the 80s sometime. I loaned that to a guy back in the day and it never returned. Fast forward to my 2nd Tele in the early aughts. It was an American similar to yours. Loved that thing, but it was so darn heavy. I'd be wrecked after a 3 hour show with that thing. Currently I've got 2 Teles, both of which I assembled myself. One is a hollow body with double buckers and a Bigsby. The other is very traditional with brass barrel saddles and normal Tele pickups.

I love everything about the Tele - the versatility, the look, the sound, it's just a great electric guitar design.
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    Hey, thanks for the explanation and all the links. I'll give it a shot and broaden my horizons a bit.

I find that there's often something to learn from music that's outside of your normal comfort zone, even if you don't like it and don't keep coming back to it.

Glad you're digging your Tele. My first was a Squier back in the 80s sometime. I loaned that to a guy back in the day and it never returned. Fast forward to my 2nd Tele in the early aughts. It was an American similar to yours. Loved that thing, but it was so darn heavy. I'd be wrecked after a 3 hour show with that thing. Currently I've got 2 Teles, both of which I assembled myself. One is a hollow body with double buckers and a Bigsby. The other is very traditional with brass barrel saddles and normal Tele pickups.

I love everything about the Tele - the versatility, the look, the sound, it's just a great electric guitar design.
    Awesome tale. Yeah, this one is about 1/3 heavier than my friends AM ST. Tele. I'm looking in to padded straps for that and my P-Bass since they apparently make a huge world of difference for comfort and stamina of being able to endure the heaviness. My P-Bass may aswell be made out of lead.

I hate to admit it, but I've just had to move toward lighter guitars. My one Tele is semi-hollow, the other is very light, my Strat has a Warmoth secret hollow body, I've got a semi-hollow Ibanez AS83, even my Les Paul is a "weight relieved" model. The back just can't handle it like it used to. I play bass at church, but that's always sitting down.

That's cool though. I like hollow bodies - they, unfortunately, just cost more.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Nice Tele! Jimmy, Jeff, and Keith can't be wrong You're in great company. Enjoy!

... and Curtis Stetka too, right? Right?
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Where is the 'jealous' smiley? I need that one right this minute.