Thread: String tension experiment

String tension experiment

Anyone try this?

I want a loose, sorta buzzy thing and am thinking about heavy strings, tuned down and capo'd to slack them just right but have them at standard pitch.

Going after some dirty string popping buzzy fingerpickin' on the Tele.
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Re: String tension experiment

sounds like it would work. the other thing would be to get that neck as straight as you can handle. that way the strings bounce off the frets when you're playing them.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    sounds like it would work. the other thing would be to get that neck as straight as you can handle. that way the strings bounce off the frets when you're playing them.
    Hadn't considered that. I think I'd need to raise the saddles to keep it from fretting out everywhere but it could add some rattle.

Easiest thing is to just try a few approaches rather than ask "what if I do this, what if I try that."

I'll try a few things and report back. Better would be a couple of clips but I can't promise.
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

do I look like I know what I'm doing?

That site is missing a concept that compromises all the equations for ordinary guitars and many other string instruments. Those equations are assigning as the "length" the distance between the nut and the bridge. But the tension is going to be distributed between the fixed ends of the string (tuner peg and tail piece/block etc).

If the guitar in question has a locking nut and locking saddles so the length through which the tension may be distributed is equal to the scale length, then all is well; but most guitars have additional string length outside the bounds of the nut and saddle that participate in the tension dynamics. This makes reality different from that predicted by the equations.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=790872

1988 Strat Plus
    2007 Deluxe Reverb
    2005 Ibanez AF75
    1980 Sigma/Martin DM-18