Thread: Squier® Tele Custom II with P-90 Pickups

Forum Member

Squier® Tele Custom II with P-90 Pickups

Has anyone tried one of these, it seems like a cool idea and has gotten good reviews online, but you never know if those are just kids who want to believe they have a great guitar. it's only $229.00 at MF.

thanks

Re: Squier® Tele Custom II with P-90 Pickups

I have one when the first came out. It's actually been used by me and 2-3 others on records. Didn't have to change a thing. Just a decent setup. The neck is actually very decent considering the price point. The pups don't need changing one bit. I found out from Duncan they are made overseas and don't have all the NOS trype wiring of the original repros, but they are identical to the standard Duncan P-90's as far as specs of resistance and output.

i agree.very nice.....and if you overdrive those p90s, they scream-creamy.
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member

Thanks guys, it's kinda hard resisting getting one, the only thing stopping me is having to order one sight unseen from MF.

Telerat, go ahead, order the damn thing.
    You won't be disappointed. They're really a great buy and get you into P90 land quite well.
    You may have to clean up the fret ends a tad like I did, but all-in-all, I'm very happy with mine.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Quote Originally Posted by Telerat
    Thanks guys, it's kinda hard resisting getting one, the only thing stopping me is having to order one sight unseen from MF.
    It's a Squier, I doubt seriously you'll notice a huge difference, or be able to find 'the one' if you could play a hundred of them. Not saying they won't be different but it's not like you're buying an upscale guitar.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Do any of you guys have a pic of the wiring on your Squier Tele Custom II's? I picked one up for my nephew that had the pickups de-soldered. Everything else looks to be in place though. The wiring diagram on the Squier site is the same for the Humbucking version and only shows 2 wires coming out of the pickup, while the "Duncan Designed" P-90's have 3 wires. Any help would be HUGE! My nephew is currently borrowing my Strat and I really need to get it back as I'm playing in 2 bands now!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

C'mon, one of you guys has a picture of the underside of the pickguard of one of these things, don't ya? LOL! I really need to figure out where the 3 wires from the pickups go and any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Al
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    C'mon, one of you guys has a picture of the underside of the pickguard of one of these things, don't ya? LOL! I really need to figure out where the 3 wires from the pickups go and any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Al
    Sounds like it's time to get the multimeter out. And a quick trip over to Duncan's website might be in order. You'll find P90 wiring diagrams there.

If they are true P90's with three wires (?) one would be a ground. So, check the resistance between all the wires. If say, wires 1 and 2 have a few hundred Ohms between them but wire three has infinite resistance with both 1 and 2, check wire 3 with the baseplate of the P90, it should read zero Ohms. If that all works out, connect the 1s to the switch, the 2s and 3s to ground.

But - that's a back of the napkin guessing. I'd do it, but I need to put in a disclaimer regarding wiring electrical circuits for human interaction... If you aren't sure of how your amp/guitar circuit is grounded you could wire it wrong and kill somebody.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 04-18-2010 at 07:48 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim