Thread: Milled Tele Input Jack Cup

Forum Member

Milled Tele Input Jack Cup

Anyone know of a supply source or have a milled steel Tele input jack cup. These are more solid than the current stamped ones on Fender reissue Teles. They have a knurled edge to keep the jack cup in place. These were used on early Broadcasters, Nocasters and some Telecasters. Any info would be appreciated.

Sorry I can't help you in your search but just wanted to add my own interest in finding one of these if anyone knows of a source. I know Fender uses them on their Nocaster reissues, but I doubt they sell them separately.

I havent seen them produced.
    I like the milled aluminum jacks.
    Robert did you ever get any of that guard material from Matt?

Do you mean the Electrosocket Jack cup? That one fits into the hole and uses a screw to keep it in place instead of the keeper. My slightly dated Stew Mac catalog has them for $7.99. You can also try searching some of the online sites for "Electrosocket".

Another solution to the infamous jack-loosening problem is to modify the stock one slightly to take a Switchcraft 226 right angle plug. The 226 is the nicer cast barrel-type right angle version and has almost enough shoulder between the barrel and where the sleave stops going in to work with a Tele. With the 226 and the guitar cord looped between the strap and end pin, there's very little sticking out or hanging down to catch on anything.

What you need to do is remove the star washer Fender uses between the jack and the plate inside the body. This lets the jack stick out farther toward the edge of the body. On some Tele's you may have to bend the jacks contact arm slightly for a better fit. If the keeper plate inside the body is bent outward from taking a hit, you'll need to straighten it out. To keep everything tight without the star washer, use some Locktite Blue thread locking compound on the jack threads.

The 226 plug works great with almost all end-mounted and top-mounted jacks. If you also play a Strat, a cable with a 226 on one end and a straight plug on the other will solve that problem - just reverse it when playing the Strat.
    Last edited by Teleologist; 08-24-2002 at 07:56 AM.

Forum Member
    I'm looking for an original part, or source for same. I know about the milled aluminum replacements that Stew Mac sells, which are great.

Re: Milled Tele Input Jack Cup

I have found four sources for a milled Telecaster input jack. The most readily available is from Glendale guitars @ http://www.glendale guitars .com/hardware htm . The second is from Revelator Guitar Works @ http://www.revelatorguitarworks.com . The third is @ http://cgi. ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230415742395&ih=013&ca tegory=33039&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1 . The forth is @ .http://www.aceguitarparts.com.au/jackplates.html I've been told that seconds are available from Glendale @ a reduced cost. You can copy and paste these link on your computer browser. I hope this has been helpful.

Hi-Tech tool makes the one that Glendale sells.
    High Tech Tool

Forum Member

Yeah, Thanks for the info, though the thread is over 7 years old. Have bought quite a few from Brian Poe.

Funny! I didn't look earlier than JerseyBill's post!

Glad it worked out for you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plankspanker View Post
    I'm looking for an original part, or source for same. I know about the milled aluminum replacements that Stew Mac sells, which are great.
    Brian Poe in Houston sells them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 121064 View Post
    Brian Poe in Houston sells them.

Yeah, I mentioned above that I've bought from Brian many times since I started this thread back in 2002. He makes a quality product;
    I've bought four lightweight swamp ash Tele bodies from him also, as well as a number of sets of replica Broadcaster knobs.

Actually I've found out there were several different knurl patterns on Fender's original milled input jack. I can only surmise that Leo was looking for a better way to keep them set in the body as the some of the early ones had a cross check pattern, which gave way to a more aggressive looking serrated pattern.

Have you guy's scene Fender's new model.
    Stratocaster, or something?

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello