Thread: HRD Deville speaker removal problem.

Forum Member

HRD Deville speaker removal problem.

Hi, scored a mint 2009 HRDv 2*12 recently and have gone about my usual routine of tube changes, Philips 6L6s, GE 5751 in V1 and Jan Philips 12AT7 in V3. Biased at 72mV.
    Sounding way better already but want to change the speakers. I have various Eminences and celestions lying around I'm gonna try.

However, I'm having real problems removing the speaker clips on the internal speakers. Now I've done this before numerous times on HRdx/Dvs with no problems but these do not want to come off. No movement whatsoever. They do look the same as normal but before I inevitably break something, is there any tips to removing them?

Appreciate it

cormac

Re: HRD Deville speaker removal problem.

you got some needle nose pliers or something of that ilk? you can probable wiggle them off. seems like the connections are real tight, so be gentle there. and be sure to grab down by the crimp connection where the wire attaches to the spade connector.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Dont chance snapping the terminal on the speaker frame!
    If you have 2 hook up locations on the speaker, 4 total, if may just be safer to clip off the two current female spade connectors leaving them on the speaker, and just crimp on two new female spads to the cables.
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill

Both Chucko and Steve are right - done this a thousand times - Chucko's spot on with the method - Steve with the caution...

This also where a tiny squirt of WD-40 might come in handy - not too much mind and you'd do well to make sure it doesn't get onto the cones - perhaps a carefully placed wad of paper toweling wouldn't go amiss... Chucko's right in that the best place to grasp the spade terminal is where it's crimped. From recollection those stock Emi's have a two spades at right angles... you'll need to hold one and prise the other off so you don't break the assembly all together as Steve says... it's called sweat, patience and maybe a little WD-40 will smooth the way...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

good points steve and rob. and by a little squirt, rob means just barely touch the nozzle! an old shirt works too.

patience and gentleness is key here.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I usally just spritz enough on a Q-tip to let me safltly drip it where I need it.
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill