Thread: Zhangbucker tire iron.

Zhangbucker tire iron.

i decided to fiddle some more with the 70's ri strat today. so i built a new guard for it with a Zhangbucker tire iron in the bridge and a reed james 7k grey bottom in the neck, faux pup middle. wired it up like a tele and even through in the peavey "spin-a-split" since the tire iron is tappable. i put a different switch in that what's pictured cause it was being wonky.

anyways, the tire iron as mr plummer explains is p90ish. and it is. the tones are pretty darn close, it sounded so good i didn't even tap it. paired with a hotter neck pup like i have it made for a killer combo! much like the old 2 p90 strats i used to build. only this one looks dead stock, too freaking cool!

i was delighted with my tone tonight, a keeley ts9, dd7, and a modded vibrochamp. this guitar was killing! thanks to zhanglingun. it still sounds like a strat, but on 'roids. the way i like it.

warning: this pickup is pretty darn tall. as mr plummer explained "it looks like a fat guy in a tube top". too cool! anyways, just be aware of that.

more reports to follow, but i'm digging the hell out of this guitar. great product, and a great guy to deal with.

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: Zhangbucker tire iron.

Awesome.

...Might look into something from zhanglingun when I get around to creating my esquire. Dunno when, but it WILL happen.

Forum Member

Make it soon, I got presents for nieces and nephews to buy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangliqun View Post
    Make it soon, I got presents for nieces and nephews to buy!!!

Hey David,is this the same pickup (Tire Iron) that you wound for me (prototype)........Strat P-90? That thing kills.

"My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

No, the Tire Iron is standard construction, just with REALLY tall rod mags, in the .900" to .950" range. It also will have limited appeal due to the need in some cases to rout the bridge cavity a bit deeper.

With that in mind, I'm pondering a no-cover version which means the flatwork can be a bit wider and hold more wire horizontally and make the .900+ rods unnecessary, .800's will do. Still very tall but don't require any cavity routing or modding. It can also be a flat-pole which would gain back some of the vertical space lost by going to .800's.

i think that might work, it would probably be a little fatter sounding beings that the coil is wider.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"