Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Post Some Pictures of yourself in Live mode

Re: Post Some Pictures of yourself in Live mode

Cool! You guys played the BUT!

I have a history with the BUT, not all of it good.

In fact, my band, "Even Steven" was the first blues band to get a house gig there before blues became cool in North County.

The previous owner, Dave Hodges, wuz a straight up guy.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

The BUT has always been a great club in my experience. Been playing there a few time a year since the mid 80s. Next show will be in mid January opening for Stan Ridgeway.

Way back in the day I used to go see James Harmon there. ALl the great blues acts used to play there. I've seen some great shows there. John Lee Hooker, Etta James, Big Momma Thornton... on and on. Love that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    The BUT has always been a great club in my experience. Been playing there a few time a year since the mid 80s. Next show will be in mid January opening for Stan Ridgeway.

Way back in the day I used to go see James Harmon there. ALl the great blues acts used to play there. I've seen some great shows there. John Lee Hooker, Etta James, Big Momma Thornton... on and on. Love that place.
    In the late '70's, Sunday night was "Blues Night", and this fat kid would show up dressed in a suit and jam with us. Years later I figured out he had become locally famous as "Hollywood Fats". Great guy, too!

I think the first real blues Dave booked in there was Tom "Tomcat" Courtney from San Diego, (originally from Waco, TX). We backed him with another guitar, drums, and a Mexican kid named "Victor" on harp. Victor was a great harp player with killer tone, but he had one problem: "OFF/ON". He would plug in his amp, we'd count the first song, and he'd blow constantly until the gig was over.

Opened for Elvin Bishop a couple of times, and had many fun nights at the old BUT before they remodeled it.

Somewhere I have a live file of us doing "Hideaway" and the metal ceiling acted like a natural echo chamber!

Tomcat
    http://www.tomcatcourtney.com/fr_index.cfm
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Tomcat still plays around town. My ex-brother in law played bass for him from about '80 'til about 85 at the Texas Teahouse in OB (and the few other places Tomcat would play)
    I have some recordings of Tomcat and Buddy Blue playing together back when I was in Buddy's band (about 92-95 IIRC)
    Tomcat and Buddy
    I didn't start playing out 'til '79 when I was 16. Wasn't 'til about '84 that I even knew about the BUT.

Saw lots of great blues players there. Joe Louis Walker was a few good shows. Brain Setzer worked out his big band there playing very often that year.
    In about 89-92 I played the Wed night early dance crowd shows doing swing/blues with Romy Kaye and the Swingin' Gates. She's in NOLA singin' at Mimi's on Tueday nights IIRC.

Here's a clip of the band in the picture recorded at last year's CD release party:
    I'm Leavin' by Sara Petite I'm playin' my 60 strat: