Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro Recording Studios; is the end near?

Re: Pro Recording Studios; is the end near?

I dunno, maybe technically good. But still, I'd never pay a dime for a recording of alot of that stuff.
    I'm an irrelevant geezer, but for me it all boils down to the material. As stated a couple of times previous.
    I maintain that there just isn't much good material in alot of these home recordings.
    Where is the passion...where is the song writing...where are the lyrics and melodies that can take you places. It's all just wind and sails.
    Just my opinion you understand.

Wow, that article pretty much confirms my speculation.

With the new technologies, I think more and more musicians will also find that they are pretty good recording engineers as well.

Gravity Jim

Fedora, are you referring to the links I posted, and saying that you hear no "passion" in those recordings? Or are you just referring to "indie" rock in general?

My overall impression at first listen was very good.

I went back just now and was reminded how annoying that fake disinterested female vocal style is. Purposely removing the "passion". Even the deadpan stiff delivery. I think it's supposed to ironic or something given the highly passioned writing of the originals.

Gravity Jim

Wilko, I agree when the accompaniment is a ukulele and bongos.

This is musical. I'm diggin' it.

I'm with you on the accompaniment. Great energy and performance.

I just find that trendy vocal affectation tiresome. It's a trend that I thought would be over by now.

TFF Stage Crew

Wilko you and I are on the exact same page re the vocal affectation.

As for studios, it all comes down to ears. Jim (in my opinion) will put out an amazing product whether he's in a million-dollar studio in L.A. or his "just a couple of rooms in [his] house with a bunch of recording junk laying around."

(Although he's posted pics of that studio here before... definitely not a couple rooms of junk. It's my dream studio.)

I'm just saying if they're dying, let 'em die. They were only ever as good as the guys sitting in the wheeled chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by silent j. View Post
    Fedora, are you referring to the links I posted, and saying that you hear no "passion" in those recordings? Or are you just referring to "indie" rock in general?
    j.
    I guess it's just not the type of music I listen to. I may have stepped outside the scope of this discussion by bringing personal preferences into the mix.
    I am hopelessly stuck in the Dylan/Young era when the singer/songwriter was almost desperately trying to push his/her passion down the mic stand.

I still have a small 4 track cassette recorder I bought back in the early 80's that I've never quite figured out how to use. Now I have garageband and can't get myself to do anything with that!
    So I am definitely one of those folks..."I'll play..you record"
    It's more than my brain can handle to do both.