Thread: Beatles Remaster?

Beatles Remaster?

Anyone pick them up yet?
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Re: Beatles Remaster?

No, but I would if I had the money.

Forum Member

Don't know. Post some info please. If I open a topic I at least try and give some educational background.
    When I was buying the Beatles Catalog a few years ago, I spent some extra money on German monophonic pressings on CD.
    Can't say whether they are that good or not.
    One thing i know is the Columbia Crap at Wal-Mart is mostly pure Junk in terms of sound quality, IMO.
    I will make one unequiovical statement here and now. Nothing supercedes the great glory of old Beatles tone or the integrity of their songs.
    They are unequalled timeless masterpieces.
    It will be along time before another Beatles phenomenom ever occurs. Surely we will not see it in our lifetimes.
    The Beatles are the greatest ever within several genertions, and possibly within a Millenium.
    Last edited by jerryjg; 09-10-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

I looked over the selection (at Wal-Mart, apparently a bastion of terrible sound quality ), wanted to buy them all, and settled on Sgt. Pepper.

I haven't listened to the whole album yet, and I can't say I listen to my original Sgt. Pepper CD on a weekly basis -- but I do think I can hear some improvements. The hand claps in "Getting Better" were the first things that really struck me as something I'd never heard quite so clearly before.

Nice, glossy tri-fold cardboard package, with images from the original LP. There's also a 32-page booklet, full color on nice stock, with more images from the LP, plus some new images and a ton of liner notes I haven't read yet.

The mini-documentary video that plays on your computer is pretty short, but it's got quotes from the boys and George Martin.

Seems like a good deal, overall. If I had the cash to spare, I'd buy both box sets.

I'd like to find a source of information, if any exists -- web site, magazine article, whatever -- that lists which of the albums were originally recorded in stereo, and which in mono. And of the mono ones, which were released in "fake stereo," and how was that done.... And especially, what decisions did the engineers make when remastering these CDs, and what was their rationale? And were George Martin or the surviving Beatles involved in the process at all? I would read a whole book on all this stuff if there was one.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

I agree, elicross. It would be interesting to see an article describing the process they went through. Remastering does not necessarily mean better. With the modern recording trend of ultra-compressed sounds and too-heavy bass, I will be leary about these.

I have bought remasters of some other artists and felt that it was overdone - bass too exaggerated, etc.

That being said, I have heard that theses remasters have been getting good reviews.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdw2000 View Post
    I agree, elicross. It would be interesting to see an article describing the process they went through. Remastering does not necessarily mean better. With the modern recording trend of ultra-compressed sounds and too-heavy bass, I will be leary about these.

I have bought remasters of some other artists and felt that it was overdone - bass too exaggerated, etc.

That being said, I have heard that theses remasters have been getting good reviews.
    Except that all late 80's/early 90's mastered CD's were just about complete garbage. Therefore, one would hope that any new remaster was "better", provided it built upon and improved the existing junk archive.

It's killing me: Can't buy them just at the moment, and I want the mono box too.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    It's killing me: Can't buy them just at the moment, and I want the mono box too.
    "Cant buy me love"? Everybody told me so!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdw2000 View Post
    I agree, elicross. It would be interesting to see an article describing the process they went through. Remastering does not necessarily mean better.
    Yep, that's part of the reason I'd love to know something about the engineers' methodology...so I could see if it met my personal standards.

Having said that -- and with the caveat that I still have only heard about half of one album -- nothing has struck me about the Sgt. Pepper remaster that makes me think they did anything radical to make sure the general public said "Wow, it sure has been remastered!" Heh. So no extra-heavy bass, no exaggerated EQ or anything.

I did a little A-B'ing of the old CD and the new one, with the first track and "Getting Better," through my nice Bose in-ear phones. So far, the only thing that's struck me is that certain sounds are clearer and crisper. The horns on the left after the first verse in the title track, the hand-claps in "Getting Better," etc. The songs don't sound appreciably brighter or more trebly than on the old CD...and yet it sounds like there's a little more "high frequency data" there, if that makes any sense.

There's just enough of a difference, at least with Sgt. Pepper, to make me think the remaster is an improvement over the old CD. But it's subtle; it doesn't sound like they tried to fix something that wasn't broken.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

I'm going to take a pass - not because I don't think they're worth it but because I have just about the entire catalog already, at least 1-1/2 times over, on cassette, LP, and CD - and that includes the Capitol albums given to me by my nephew. My personal take? How much better should they sound??? I grew up on these, and for better or worse, they sound like they sound like they sound. I'm not listening for absolute clarity anyway, but for the fantastic songs and performances.

But if I were a completist, I suppose I'd want them all.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    Post some info please. If I open a topic I at least try and give some educational background.
    Isn't it called "new topic"...not new research paper...

Sorry... thought it was common knowledge since it seems everywhere you turn its Beatles (television spots like crazy, vh1 documentaries, Rock band game, and the remasters all in preparation and advertising for this massive release on 9/9/09)

Plus isn't there a mighty handy 6 letter word called google?

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...tember-9-2009/

Sorry If I seem a bit snappy here Jerry, but I'm tired, its early, and I'm not in a good mood, so my apologies! Just had to blow off some steam!
    Last edited by Stonefreefuzz1; 09-11-2009 at 04:50 AM.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Thanks for the RS link, Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    I'm going to take a pass - not because I don't think they're worth it but because I have just about the entire catalog already
    Yeah, I know the feeling. It was only in the past couple of years that I made a concerted effort to get all the original recordings on CD (the 13 albums, plus Past Masters 1 & 2). I already owned most of the catalog on LP and had been gradually buying CD versions of those albums, but it was just around 2007 that I stepped up my efforts -- and it was last year or early this year that I finished collecting the original recordings and started thinking about compilations like the Anthology discs.

And now all the originals have been remastered...some of 'em in both stereo and mono flavors!

But I do love the Beatles. I think they're the best rock band ever. So I had to at least get one of the remasters and see what it's like. I guess I was half hoping I'd be unimpressed, so I could say "Nah, I don't need the remasters."

And of course I don't *need* 'em, not really. But I don't *need* to listen to music, either, right?

I'll probably end up doing what I did with the original CDs, before I stepped up my efforts and got serious: Just buy one or two of the remasters a year until I have most of my favorites.

Unless I get a nice, unexpected windfall sometime soon. Then those box sets will be mine.

I'm Pretty sure my girlfriend is secretly planning on getting the set for me as a Christmas Gift...something tells me...Ya know how you see that look in your significant others face when they form "a plan" well I saw it lol. Now I want a Gretsch and and Rickenbacker...why does this always happen...

Oh and I'm in a much better mood now Once again sorry for blowing a gasket earlier everyone! Happens to the best of us I guess!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

I have all the capitol albums, all the English official release studio albums, the Past Masters, the Anthologies 1-3, "1," the red and blue greatest hits albums, and "Love."

So, I think I've got it covered.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I didn't know they were doing this...but now that I think about it I think we got Revolver and Rubber Soul recently, those may be remasters.

I agree with RJ's post #10 though. I've never heard anything lacking in any of their stuff. Growing up whenever I heard older music like Hendrix etc I just accepted it for what is was, conceived and recorded in a different era, hence it has a different sound.

I did buy the remix/remastered version of the Doors' first album, and I don't like it. The drums in Break On Through are overpowering.

I will make one unequiovical statement here and now. Nothing supercedes the great glory of old Beatles tone or the integrity of their songs.
    They are unequalled timeless masterpieces..
    Agreed. However, I will not shell out money for music that was released 40 year back, re-released more times than I can recall, and now re-released and improved. Oh, forgot - 'naked' was the 'end all' re-mastered ..... yada yada yada

It's a cash cow that never dies
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

Okay, now I've listened to the whole Sgt. Pepper remaster via headphones, and I noticed some striking things I'd never heard on my vinyl version or older CD. Stuff like George whispering something rhythmic between verses on "Within You Without You," or a little, soft "Huh" from Paul right near the end of "When I'm Sixty-Four." Little details like that lend a greater sense of immediacy and intimacy to what's really a heavily "produced" album, even by today's standards.

It's possible that I'd hear those details on the older versions of the album, too, now that I know what to listen for. All I know is that these little details were on the master tapes for 40-plus years, and I never noticed them until listening to the remaster. It's as if better, newer mastering technology simply reproduced more of the "information" that's always been on those original tapes.

So, after my first full listen, I'm pretty pleased. Of course, it does make me want all the remasters.

Forum Member

Eli, I remember reading somewhere that Capital wanted "stereo" versions of the albums, so George Martin split the mono mix in half by putting the vocals on one side and instruments on the other and adding a little reverb or delay to one side...or something like that. Let me find something and get back.

Here's the Wikipedia article...take from it what you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duophonic

Forum Member

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read that.

The remastered stereo Sgt. Pepper seems to be pretty faithful to that. It's not that all vocals are on one side and all instruments on the other, the way some of the songs on my old vinyl copy of Rarities are -- but every element seems to be mixed either left or right. When there's just a lead vocal with no backing vocal, it's generally on the right, with some of the instruments, while backing vocals and other instruments might be on the left.

Every once in a while, a vocal will pan from one side to the other, but for the most part every track seems to be hard left or right. That's pretty much how I remember it being on my vinyl Sgt. Pepper and on the old CD.

I'd be interested in hearing the Mono remaster of Sgt. Pepper, but I'm not sure it's available outside of the mono boxed set.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    I think we got Revolver and Rubber Soul recently, those may be remasters.
    If you got 'em on 9/9 or later, they may be. They'll be in three-panel cardboard sleeves instead of plastic jewel cases, with a solid-color bar down the left side of the front cover.

So these newest remasters are avail as single discs too!?!? I thought it was either the stereo or mono box set only.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

I saw at least 6 different individual remastered CD albums on sale this morning, so yes, they are available separately.
    And they are selling for less than the "old" CD's were

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Forum Member

I want to buy this to keep the remasters in;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Original-19...QQcmdZViewItem

Now that would be a real box set!
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

LOL!

I have a Beatles Yellow submarine Lunchbox that belong to my Aunt (now deceased) she left it for me, I always used to play with it when I was younger at her house, she always knew I loved it. Everyone tells me to sell it... I tell them how I acquired it and they say "So? Sell it anyway!" People Amaze me sometimes.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefreefuzz1 View Post

LOL!

I have a Beatles Yellow submarine Lunchbox that belong to my Aunt (now deceased) she left it for me, I always used to play with it when I was younger at her house, she always knew I loved it. Everyone tells me to sell it... I tell them how I acquired it and they say "So? Sell it anyway!" People Amaze me sometimes.
    Yeh,making a few quick bucks means more than a keepsake.....people amaze me too.

I used to have Sgt. Pepper in mono (original album,Capitol label) with the red swirl album sleeve.........WHY did I get rid of it?
    http://www.jpgr.co.uk/pcs7027.html
    Back then my speakers were so close together that I couldn't tell.When I got a stereo version it was a little too spread out.
    I thought about recording the stereo CD onto my DAW and manipulating the mix a little...pulling the channels a little closer together and adding some crosses on reverb and such.
    Last edited by refin; 09-12-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

Doing your own custom remaster...that's something that never occurred to me.