Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The waiting is the hardest part....

Forum Member

The waiting is the hardest part....

59 Thin Skin Strat in Sunburst on the way.....won't be here until Thursday. I'm not sure I can last that long......I've been trying to pass the time googling everything ever written about these guitars but I think I've reached the end of the internet as it relates to them.

Forum Member

Re: The waiting is the hardest part....

Got mine in April. I think you're in for a real winner.

understand the feeling, it's tough!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

If you're like me it'll be tough sleeping tonight...

Congrats on the new axe!

Forum Member

I can't wait! When I decide I want something I want it NOW

Forum Member

It's here and no I didn't sleep very well last night!!!! I'm at work so nothing too indepth to report but the finish and detail work on this guitar are exceptional. Really just stunning. Beautifully set up too. Plays easily.....

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

PICS, LADDIE......

WHERE ARE THE PICS???

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Here it is.....

BEAUTIOUS!!!

WOW! Most Excellent! KUDOS MY FRIEND!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Lovely! Lotsa nice candy, too.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

Very nice strat, congratulations!

I know how you feel about the waiting, anticipation etc. I waited 3 years for my archtop to be completed.

A good feeling to open the case for the first time, eh?

cheers,
    wemedge

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Love that body.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

PRETTY VERY MUCH SO

I want!!!!!!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Thanks for the kind words. For me this is THE guitar......it's almost like without really knowing it I got the guitar and realized "yeah, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for...." It's got something, besides the flawless fit and finish...maybe it's the vibe. The feel is amazing, the guitar is light....the finish feels great....it's well set up. Neck is perfect and fits like a glove. I want to play it for a while before I change anything but I will eventually screw the bridge down and block it and also wire the second tone to the bridge. That's going to have to be done no question for me. The pickups are sort of "vintagey" sounding....until I kick on some overdrive or fuzz and then they're pretty freaking mean.

A few details that struck me.... How important are clay dot position markers? Not very, but contrasted with plastic they please me an inordinate amount. They look great. Plus I get to say "clay dots". The ground wire to the trem claw is vintage cloth insulated. The solder points are immaculate and totally unlike my other Strat was originally. Also revealed during the peek under the pickguard is the body is only routed for 3 single coils. None of that business like my other one where the whole middle of the body is routed out in one huge rectangle.

The finish is thin (I guess as the "thin skin" name would suggest) but it's noticeably unlike any nitro finished Les Pauls I've played recently. Hard to describe but I like it. Not sure of any effect on resonance but I think it's going to wear nicely and at least dull up in the high traffic areas fairly quickly. Once that happens I think parchment or slightly off white plastic would look great and I may make that change.

This is definitely one of the best guitars I've ever played and I couldn't be happier. I had high expectations coming in and they have been exceeded no question.

There are few things in this world that approach what I'd call engineering and design perfection, WK (the '69 Z28 Camaro, the M1911 Colt pistol, and the Rolex GMT Master among them) but I'd say you got as close to nirvana as a Strat lover can get. It's an absolutely stunning instrument -- and it reaffirms my faith that FMIC can indeed "get it right" when the occasion demands. I'm sure St. Leo himself would be impressed.

I wouldn't be too quick to change out that pickguard though......those single-ply types never did age quite as dramatically as the later laminated nitrocellulose guards. As for the tone control swap, that's a pretty common mod that I've performed myself. And it's totally reversible if desired.

Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

Wow! A real beauty! Tall frets?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Wow! A real beauty! Tall frets?
    Since I have the same guitar - yeah, 6105s. They look vintage in width, but taller. Also on a 9.5 in. radius board.

As for the single-ply white guard, I ordered a replacement as soon as I had the guitar on the way. I went with a 3-ply mint green guard from Callaham. They have one with an 8-hole pattern that matches right up without mods. Very late original 59s did leave the factory with 3-ply guards, so it isn't an "inappropriate" substitution. I also put some aged-white pickup covers, knobs, and switch tip on it. I just thought the stark white of the originals was too sterile. It looks a lot richer with the subtle contrast between the mint green and aged white.

Regarding the shielding, I was told (incorrectly) in advance from the dealer that the single-ply guard had foil shielding, so I ordered a full-sized aluminum plate shield from Callaham as well to have on hand for the swap. I don't believe they had these originally until the early 60s, but I wasn't going to try and peel the foil off the single ply guard and re-apply it to the new 3-ply, and I was afraid the original 59 style plate shield that only covers the control cavity might not be quiet enough for the high-gain Hendrix stuff I like to play, so I got the full-sized plate. As it turned out, I got the 59 TS a few days before the 3-ply guard arrived, and I played it full bore at rehearsal through my Marshall. I didn't have any more problems with noise than any other Strat I've had. When the 3-ply guard and plate shield arrived a few days later I went to swap them out and found (drum roll, please) that the 59TS came from the factory with an aluminum plate shield covering only the control cavity area (just like an original 59). Had I known that, I'd probably not have ordered the full-sized plate shield, especially since I didn't have any noise issues with the stock guitar. But, since I had already paid for it, I went ahead and installed the full-sized plate shield behind the 3-ply guard and put the original in a bag with the original single-ply guard. Here are some before and after pics:
    Before -[IMG][/IMG]
    After -
    And just for comparison, here's a real vintage 59 lefty hardtail with 3-ply guard(I reversed the image for better comparison)[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JHW; 09-13-2009 at 08:49 PM.

It's difficult to say that you've made an "improvement", JHW. Both the "before" and "after" pics show an outstanding instrument in every regard. As for shielding, my rule-of-thumb is to use the full shield on the guitars I build that have R/W fretboards and 3-ply pickguards. On my Mary Kay hardtail and Buddy Holly "tribute" Strats (both with maple furniture) I used the cavity-only shield. They stay relatively quiet.

Great pics, thanks for posting!

Forum Member

Thanks, a whole bunch PM! Yes, "improvement" is subjective. My pulse was quickened by the pic of the real vintage 59 when I ran across it, so that was the look I was going for. It is purely my taste. I do not mean to hijack this thread, but thought the OP might be interested in how I approached what he is considering doing to his (identical to mine) guitar.

As for your "rule-of-thumb", is that based on period-correct convention, or some other experience? It brings up a good point - if an early 59 with a single ply guard had a cavity-only shield plate, would a late 59 with 3-ply guard have the full-sized plate? I'm guessing not, but I don't really know. I went ahead with the full plate just to be on the safe side for noise, although I felt the cavity-only plate did a fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by JHW View Post
    Since I have the same guitar - yeah, 6105s. They look vintage in width, but taller. Also on a 9.5 in. radius board.
    I thought so. I had them put on my Tele and Strat's USACG necks and they're very similar to the frets on my Gibsons. I'm addicted to those tall, skinny frets!

Thanks, a whole bunch PM! Yes, "improvement" is subjective. My pulse was quickened by the pic of the real vintage 59 when I ran across it, so that was the look I was going for. It is purely my taste. I do not mean to hijack this thread, but thought the OP might be interested in how I approached what he is considering doing to his (identical to mine) guitar.

As for your "rule-of-thumb", is that based on period-correct convention, or some other experience? It brings up a good point - if an early 59 with a single ply guard had a cavity-only shield plate, would a late 59 with 3-ply guard have the full-sized plate? I'm guessing not, but I don't really know. I went ahead with the full plate just to be on the safe side for noise, although I felt the cavity-only plate did a fine job.
    Basically, "period-correct convention". As for the hypothetical, that's a very poignant question -- and I don't have a definitive answer. Regardless, in the case of your transistional '59, you haven't made a single permanent mod. If at some point you learn for certain what shield should be installed, you can always take whatever "corrective" action you deem appropriate (however, noise suppression would be my primary concern). It's not a show-stopper IMO. I've changed a few things around on some of my builds......usually to suit a personal preference rather than to "chase the perfection rabbit". Mine are but mere clones, and always will be. A real '59 -- and your righteous re-issue -- are real Fenders.

Wow! Me likes!

65 SG Jr., Gibson Les Paul Jr, 06 American DLX Tele, 86 G&L Invader
    Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI, Peavey Classic 50, Fender Blues Jr NOS (Private Jack), Gibson GA-5, VibroChamp XD
    02 Gallagher Doc Watson, 72 Alvarez Yaire 12 String, Kentucky KM350
    Lots of pedals...

Forum Member

JHW, thanks for the pics. Yours looks great and it's a nice contrast between your before and after pics and very easy to a/b the change you made. For me it's a purely cosmetic issue as this guitar just drips with vintage vibe, I can't help but be struck by the sharpness of the white pickguard and plastic. For now it's ok because the guitar itself is very glossy but once the finish starts to sink in and mellow a little I want to at least consider a (slight) change. For a couple of months in 59 (July/Aug) after switching to the rosewood board Fender continued to use up their supply of the single ply guard before switching to 3 ply, which as I understand it is the guard that we all associate with the mint green color. Purely a personal preference for me but I prefer the look of the single ply for mine and if I do change it out I will probably stick with that, which is why I mentioned the parchment color (which Callaham makes in a single ply). Phantomman, if you have any comments regarding what the original single ply guards looked like as they aged (if at all) I'd like to hear your opinion. Most of the ones I've seen (pics only) appear to be slightly yellowed, although as you note not nearly as dramatically as later ones. But I could be drawing on some mental images of pickguards from some other years. In any event the parchment as picured on Callaham's site doesn't appear to be all that dramatically different from white and I'm more of a subtle kind of guy. As noted either single or 3 ply could be correct for a 59 rosewood strat.

As for the shielding question, it's not terrible but it's somewhat noisy, my other strat has Kinmans though so an unfair comparison.

The frets of course, like the fingerboard radius, are not strictly vintage as I understand it. But both are an improvement and something I would have picked had I been spec'ing the guitar myself.

In any event we're just enjoying picking a few nits here and discussing our favorite topic no doubt......the guitar is fantastic as is and the changes I've mentioned are purely subjective based on my tastes, real or imagined. And really I'm planning on just playing it for a while before I do anything with the exception of the bridge pickup tone control.

Appreciate the comments and the discussion guys......

Not really "nits" in the traditional sense, since this year was a transitional phase in the Strat's evolution. Thus, there is some "latitude" in the configurations of this period's pickguards. Mebbe that's part of the alluring mystique of the '59 models, much as the 1963-64 era when narrow-dot lam boards replaced the previous wide-dot slabs......add in the fact that either neck from either era could be seen with either the original "spaghetti" or newer "transitional" logo and it makes for fascinating research such as seen in Wheeler's book.

Of one thing I am certain, though -- if the control cavity rout in an authentic '59 guitar has the "shoulder", it may be inferred that the instrument was originally configured for an 11-screw pickguard.

(whew......you guys are taxing my sole remaining brain cell tonight!)

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    BEAUTIOUS!!!

Oh yeh!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

Aces across the board. 5 Stars!
    Every so often a Guitar comes up that just speaks volumes. I'll tell you, this guitar obviously to guys here that know Vintage, is true to the original design and your one lucky cat.
    Ya know, its funny how some custom shop jobs and stuff come up here fore review , and they are expensive, and are totally sweet guitars ,and they get great reviews here, but when something like this pops up, I think it just strikes chord, and you say, yeah..OHH yeah!
    One thing though.. put that back to like it was now! ( )

Forum Member

Not gonna happen! I like it so much better with the new appointments, and as previously noted, it's still correct for the period. By the way, you're the first one to call me a dumb ass here. Does that mean I'm now officially accepted? I'll wear it like a badge of honor. I look forward to many more in the future! (And I'll probably earn a few legitimate ones in the process).

PM, whether or not I find out the full-plate shield is correct or incorrect, it is going to stay. I suspect the full-plate didn't show up until 60-62 somewhere. I went ahead with it because I'd rather err on having enough noise suppression than not enough. No one can tell the difference in appearance, anyway. I made one round of minor substitutions on this guitar, and I'm DONE. Now all I do is just play it and marvel at the tone. I played a 79 American Strat for 25 years and it isn't bad at all, but this is a whole 'nother league.

That's how I'd play it too, JHW.

If you have a good amp (a low-power tweed Twin or a 6F7 3 x 10 Bandmaster springs to mind) and quality shielded cables, noise shouldn't really be an issue.

Unless you're stuck on the side of some low-budget saloon's band-riser with the neon-lit Schlitz and Pabst signs and/or the video games......

Forum Member

While I do have a vintage 65 BFSR, I mostly play a Marshall JVM 410. It's a high-gain, fire-breathing monster. Still, not much of a problem if you know how to use the volume control on the guitar, and how to act around a high-gain amp. Uncharacteristic of most Marshalls, it can do quite Fender-y cleans as well.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Unless you're stuck on the side of some low-budget saloon's band-riser with the neon-lit Schlitz and Pabst signs and/or the video games......

Heh, heh - you mean like this:[IMG][/IMG]

Lot's more neon overhead and to the right that doesn't show in the pic. That's obviously my old Strat, not the 59TS, though.

That's very nice. Gorgeous. It's truly bliss when you find "the One", regardless of what flavor Strat it is. I wouldn't trade or sell my American Standard Strat for anything. Sounds like you feel the same way about your Thin Skin.

Congrats!!!
    Visit me and my band at:
    THE ROCKIN' ROAD DOGS;
    REVERB NATION;
    or on
    FACEBOOK

"Live Free or Die"

While I do have a vintage 65 BFSR, I mostly play a Marshall JVM 410. It's a high-gain, fire-breathing monster. Still, not much of a problem if you know how to use the volume control on the guitar, and how to act around a high-gain amp. Uncharacteristic of most Marshalls, it can do quite Fender-y cleans as well.

Heh, heh - you mean like this:[IMG][/IMG]

Lot's more neon overhead and to the right that doesn't show in the pic. That's obviously my old Strat, not the 59TS, though.
    You got it, JHW!

Neon and video games -- gotta love 'em!

Here's a shot of me and my brother (on bass, with his "boys") blowing the sheetrock offa some sports bar in Granite Bay, CA a coupla summers back......

The only thing that saved my "Buddy Holly tribute" Strat from a total 60 Hz meltdown was, I'd hot-rodded the guitar some time ago with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage noiseless pickups in anticipation of just such a scenario.

DEATH TO SHEETROCK!

(but I will admit, after 3 shots a whiskey throwin' back a few brews I do enjoy me some Ms. Packman )

RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Wow, PM - ya'll got more guitars per square foot on that stage than anyone around. Wish I could have heard it. Looks like fun.

Is that an Ampeg SVT in the back?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Yeah it was a newer SVT that belonged to the club's owner (my brother only owns vintage ACC and Sunn -- too lazy to bring any of it that night though). Plenty loud though. I played one set with them. Opened with "Mississippi Queen", wrapped up with "Comfortably Numb". That's when the acoustic ceiling tiles at the other end of the club began to hit the floor over by the Foos-Ball tables.

Beautiful '59 Thin Skin, Witch King, enjoy,enjoy.

Great photo PM.
    Lovin' those white curly cords.

Cheers & beers team.
    Take care,stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.