Thread: 18 watt goes KABOOM!

18 watt goes KABOOM!

OK not really...

TJ - just a heads up - the 18 watt conversion would not turn on tonight. No power to the lamp and no sound at all. I took the chassis out and didn't see anything obvious - but I didnt have time to check any voltages yet.

I'll dive in tomorrow night and let you know what I find - hopefully its something simple (I'm hoping its not the LED setup).

"Oh, Mister D.J.,
    I keep wondering why you don't play much blues anymore
    I don't know what you got against me
    Whatever it is, I sure would like to know"

Re: 18 watt goes KABOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by sting7777 View Post
    OK not really...

TJ - just a heads up - the 18 watt conversion would not turn on tonight. No power to the lamp and no sound at all. I took the chassis out and didn't see anything obvious - but I didnt have time to check any voltages yet.

I'll dive in tomorrow night and let you know what I find - hopefully its something simple (I'm hoping its not the LED setup).
    Well, the LED setup was built out from the original schematic using the same parts from the original PCB. I would double check the soldering on the rectifier diodes. If I recall, you added a .1uF cap across the diode bridge to solve a noise issue, right? Maybe a cold joint happened there which would throw off the power supply and LED voltage.

Next, I'd look at the fuse and standby switch connections and wiring. Wasn't it a Carling switch you provided for the standby, or was it another brand. I've had non-Carling switches of this type go bad internally; specifically the older switches Weber supplied with their kits. They've since changed suppliers for those, though.

I recall you changed a resistor on the first tube cathode/bypass, too? Maybe something there worth looking at.

After all that, I'd look at the tubes.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Well, the LED setup was built out from the original schematic using the same parts from the original PCB. I would double check the soldering on the rectifier diodes. If I recall, you added a .1uF cap across the diode bridge to solve a noise issue, right? Maybe a cold joint happened there which would throw off the power supply and LED voltage.

Next, I'd look at the fuse and standby switch connections and wiring. Wasn't it a Carling switch you provided for the standby, or was it another brand. I've had non-Carling switches of this type go bad internally; specifically the older switches Weber supplied with their kits. They've since changed suppliers for those, though.

I recall you changed a resistor on the first tube cathode/bypass, too? Maybe something there worth looking at.

After all that, I'd look at the tubes.
    It is a Carling. I'm hoping its something simple given that I get nothing when I flip the switch. I'll know in a few hours when I get home.

And if I can't fix it, maybe you'll actually get to play it after all

"Oh, Mister D.J.,

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Well that was interesting. I got home from work to find a neighbor's 100 foot oak fell into our yard, taking out power for the neighborhood and ripping down a utility pole. There was also a live wire draped across one of our cars.

Needless to say I didnt have a chance to play with the amp.

"Oh, Mister D.J.,

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

ZOUNDS!!!

Oh well......at least it's better than having a 100-foot oak draped across the car.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    ZOUNDS!!!

Oh well......at least it's better than having a 100-foot oak draped across the car.

The insurance would have been easier though

"Oh, Mister D.J.,

Forum Member

Yeah, I'm glad it didn't hit your house or your car or anything like that.

Still...bummer. I hope they can get your power back fast.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

cut the core out and make you a bat. seemed to work out well in the natural. LOL

glad no one was hurt.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by sting7777 View Post
    Well that was interesting. I got home from work to find a neighbor's 100 foot oak fell into our yard, taking out power for the neighborhood and ripping down a utility pole. There was also a live wire draped across one of our cars.

Needless to say I didnt have a chance to play with the amp.

For a minute I was thinking that this was your amp's power supply issue!

Forget the tubes or wiring, just look outside for any fallen trees and live wires in your yard first!

-Edmund Burke

Well - the tree did fall down when I hit that open E...

"Oh, Mister D.J.,

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Now that's what I call "resonance"!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

the amp lives!

finally had some time to sit down and get the DMM on the amp.

Turns out it was a bad (not blown) fuse. I was getting voltage - just nowhere near 120, and the fuse looks fine physically.

Put a new fuse in and all is good!

"Oh, Mister D.J.,

*whew*

SO glad it's working for you again. Did the fuse read funny with the meter? Did it show continuity?

Strange.

-Edmund Burke