Thread: Talk to me about Clapton Strats!

Forum Member

Talk to me about Clapton Strats!

OK, here's the deal. I've currently got a late 80's '57 reissue Mary Kaye Strat that I'm considering selling or trading in order to get a recent Clapton Strat (Black, with the Vintage Noiseless pickups).

I've only played a Clapton with the Lace Sensors...so I need some opinions. I likely will buy by mail as I live in Bumf*&k!

What is your opinion of the Clapton neck and electronics?

Are they generally light, medium, or heavy weight?

Is there a significant difference in the Custom Shop model to warrant the extra bucks?

My other guits are a '52 reissue Tele, '57 Historic Les Paul, '59 LP Junior.

Please discuss and help me out.

Thanks!

Re: Talk to me about Clapton Strats!

Hi there,

...in order to get a recent Clapton Strat (Black, with the Vintage Noiseless pickups).

I've only played a Clapton with the Lace Sensors...so I need some opinions. I likely will buy by mail as I live in Bumf*&k!
    First of all I never would buy such an expensive guitar by mail-order... too many things might occure and in the end you'll have no fun but stress with it... always test a guitar... I don't know where Bumf*&k is located :rofl but if possible take a bit of a longer trip to a shop which probably has both versions in store. I do own in the meantime both of them... one is a 2004 Custom Shop axe and the other one is a 1989 artist series....

What is your opinion of the Clapton neck and electronics?
    The neck is a soft version of a V-shape. I find it very comortable to play... the electronics need some time until you get used to, because it is a very effective and versatile electronics... but once you have found out what you can do with I consider it GREAT.

Are they generally light, medium, or heavy weight?
    they are medium I would say...

Is there a significant difference in the Custom Shop model to warrant the extra bucks?
    When I bought my Custom Shop axe that shop had a second Custom Shop and an Artist-Series there as well... and it was really worth to test them all three. The difference between the two CS models was not that significant... they both sounded great... just mine had a bit more of deep midth - a little more punch... the other one was great as well... just my personal taste was hit more with the one I bought then...
    the Artist-Series compared to the CS now seem to be somehow cut at all frequencies a bit... hasn't had that wide open freququency range... from deep groaning to pearly brrightness... somehow like the difference between a 5.1 surround hifi equipment and a simply stereo set... if ya know what I mean...
    The end of the day... I would say yes, the CS model is worth the extra bucks....

The funny thing... my old 89 Artist with GOLDEN LACE SENSORS I consider better guitar than today's artist series... I always make the comparison between an elegant-powerful-bright Mercedes Benz Coupe (Custom Shop) and a fast-edgy-biting Ferrari (the 89 Artist).

Nevertheless its all a very personal thing and with the next guitar it might look all different... it's natural material and so it varies from instrument to instrument...

So good luck ;)
    Blackie-Greetings
    PIT

Hey , I'm a newbie to the Clapton Strat thing as Ive only had my CS one a few weeks and I'm still learning about it. The neck is Very comfortable and I love the feel of the V in the palm at the first few frets. Very fast easy to play neck. I'm still toying with the tone / boost dial but it is a great and handy feature. This is the first time i have bought a guitar at this time of year ( spring / summer ) and this one and a Swampkaster I got the same week both changed big time after the first week at home. They had been in the store for a while and when they came home to me I guess the humidity in the house was different ( higher ) and the frets started to buzz. After turning on the dehumidifier the Swampkaster slowly came back. The Clapton I guess is more sensitive as the frets actually sat on the 1st fret and as the humidity changed the are now just buzzing and it can be played sort of. I am taking it in today to get it set up ....I hope they dont charge me but whatever. I dont know if this has to do with the higher quality of the wood making it more sensitive to change but I really did miss playing it as it is that nice to play.

TFF Stage Crew

Pit--great clips--very informative I thought. Thanks!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

The Clapton 'Blackie' neck is one of the best IMO. Superb neck for my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Pit--great clips--very informative I thought. Thanks!
    Thanks...

I did one more the same day... featuring also two Gibsons -sorry-
    hope you don't mind... ...because I love this BADGE bit played on
    Fenders as well as on Gibsons...

The two Clappis start in the second half of the vid @ 4.09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYrijHSCIFM

PIT...

Nice sounds all around. What struck me is that each of those guitars sounds great on Badge.

What effects are you using?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

If it were me I would spring for the CS (which I did).

I have a '07 Midnight Blue CS EC. Between the 2 (production and CS) the price diff. was only about $400.

I had a Hwy 1 Strat when I got the EC which I never touched again.

I look at it this way. When you play it w/o the boost you got one hell of a fine Strat. And the quality of this is worth what I paid alone. Dialing up the boost is added value. Extremely versatile.

I would say order the Blackie but make sure the place has a good return policy (but I don't think you'll need it).

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Nice sounds all around. What struck me is that each of those guitars sounds great on Badge.

What effects are you using?

yeah, that's it... I have trouble to decide either... love em all...

The effects have been a Toadworks DEATH RATTLE overdrive pedal in the tweed-mode (Gain almost zero) and the E.H. HOLY GRAIL...

plus the Hughes & Kettner ROTOSPHERE...

PIT...

Forum Member

I've had my EC Strat for about 5 years now. I've got numerous other guitars but it is STILL my "go to". The Soft V neck is actually one of my favorite features. Every time I start looking at another Strat purchase that's the FIRST thing I check for. It's extremely comfortable, the weight and balance are just right whether sitting or standing.

As for the electronics, I'll echo what others here have said. It takes some getting used to, but, once you do you'll find a million ways to apply it.

Hope that helps.
    "Hey, it's gotta work better than the truth"

TFF Stage Crew

I might see one or two of those tonight from the 9th row of the Clapton/Winwood concert.

GRRRR PC!!!!!! I missed the tour opener here in Jersey, I found out about it the night of! Have a good time pc! Saw them last year at the garden (just picked up the Live CD and DVD from the garden as well). Enjoy! I will be expecting your full review as well!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll provide a report tomorrow sometime.

In the last two weeks, XM/Sirius has been playing that live CD from the Garden almost nonstop on their "Deep Tracks" channel so I've been getting more and more excited about it.

have great time seeing those Sig Strats... and EC of course...
    any chance for some pics (???)...

PIT...

TFF Stage Crew

New thread re the show...

Quote Originally Posted by pit_s_xroad View Post
    yeah, that's it... I have trouble to decide either... love em all...

The effects have been a Toadworks DEATH RATTLE overdrive pedal in the tweed-mode (Gain almost zero) and the E.H. HOLY GRAIL...

plus the Hughes & Kettner ROTOSPHERE...

PIT...
    Love that H&K Rotosphere. Sounds great on the Badge licks.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

WOW! Has anyone seen this deal?

I don't even see how that price can be right. MF does the Claptons for $2020 and the Princeton for just over $1000. So both together for $2200? That seems smokin' hot to me, even if you wouldn't plan to use them together. Buy the Strat and for $180 more you get a $1000 amp.

(Okay, granted the prices are over-inflated anyway, but my point remains the same--great deal if you're already in the market for a Clapton sig Strat.)

looks like the deal's gone already...
    ...or they noticed that it's an error.

PIT...

TFF Stage Crew

Dang... shoulda jumped.

Forum Member

If I'd been looking to spend a couple thousand on a guitar and amp and hadn't yet decided what to get, I'd have leapt on that deal like a...I don't know...a lion on a gazelle, I guess.

The Artist Series Clapton does look like one I'd dig a lot. Have any of the Clapton owners here unblocked the trem? Run into any issues with that? I do like to have an operating trem on a Strat.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Have any of the Clapton owners here unblocked the trem? Run into any issues with that? I do like to have an operating trem on a Strat.
    Hi,

in the very beginning when I owned my CS guitar I unblocked it and it worked very normal as any vintage Fender tremolo would do... no probs so far... however I have blocked it again then, because I am not soooo keen on using a trem...

PIT...

You know, it's funny. I think the whole concept of a Clapton Strat is a bit wierd. Good from a marketing concept, I'll give you that, but when I think of iconic Clapton recordings - I think Gibson. I wonder why there was never a Les Paul Clapton model?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

TFF Stage Crew

That's actually the nail on the head Chuck. According to Clapton his favorite sound is that thick LP grind, but his favorite guitar to play by far is a Strat, so he wanted to get closer to the LP sound w/a Strat but still have some twang/cluck options. I read that in an interview with him several years ago.

Forum Member

You know, it's funny. I think the whole concept of a Clapton Strat is a bit wierd. Good from a marketing concept, I'll give you that, but when I think of iconic Clapton recordings - I think Gibson. I wonder why there was never a Les Paul Clapton model?
    Gibson did do a very limited Clapton ES-335. I think it was to benefit Crossroads Antigua. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. No Clapton Les Paul I know of, though.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Gibson did do a very limited Clapton ES-335. I think it was to benefit Crossroads Antigua. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. No Clapton Les Paul I know of, though.
    you're right... there was the Crossroads ES-335 limited edition, but never a Les Paul... it probably would have developed different if he'd had the Beano-Les Paul until recent time as the ES-335 and BLACKIE and BROWNIE... and maybe it would have surfaced here and there at gigs... then, well who knows we might would have seen a Beano-Tribute-Lester...

Anyway I don't think that the Les Paul is the favourite guitar-model of him in general these days... It's his Sig-Strat and all kinds of ES-stuff...

PIT...

Clappy went back and forth with the Les Paul before he finally settled on the Fender sig model.

A buddy of mine just bought a 335 with block inlays. He already owns Fender and Martin sigs. All three are well built, beautiful guitars.

Good thing that only Southpaw guitars sells a lefty Clapton Strat or I'd have some serious G*A*S*.

Forum Member

Late response here, I unblocked the trem. NO PROBLEMS, sounds/works great.
    "Hey, it's gotta work better than the truth"

Forum Member

I got my Eric Clapton Artist Series Strat 3 weeks ago. I ordered it from a place in the UK. As I live in Dublin, Ireland it is always a long wait and quite expensive to get hold of models that the shops don't have in stock. I saved quite a bit of money too.

This is the third guitar I have actually ordered online and have never have a problem, so don't let that be a major deciding factor. They are so well packaged it shouldn't be a problem.

Mine was delivered in the brown Fender boxing within the Tweed Case. The craftsmanship on these models are simply staggering and I find it hard to fathom how much better they can get...Simply marvelous (hopefully one day I will be able to own a CS or Masterbuilt one...) but where do we draw the line.....?

The neck is amazing..... anyhooo...

Some pics in link below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/christin...e/GiansGuitar#

Oh and a little bonus.... saw EC playing in Dublin a few weeks ago... Was great!

http://picasaweb.google.com/christin...laptonMay2009#

Cheers,
    G

Hi to Dublin...

Congrats to this sweet babe... good choice... and the Clapton pics are really cool...

Thanks for sharing...

Cheers
    PIT...

Forum Member

Thanks PIT :)

@jholcomb any updates on how you are getting on with you decision?

Nice!! I always liked Green Strat's!

Hi pc...

sweet as 7-UP....

congrats to this nice find...

the green ones are pretty rare I think... I have never seen one in person... that's why I always was a little doubtful in regards to green... but your pics are really showing it... it's dang nice...

PIT...

Forum Member

Did anybody here make a decision between the EC and the American Deluxe?
    Someday I'll be making that choice.